Wrench

GoG did it again!

Even though this might be more appropriate in the Star Wars section ...

they've just released W7 version of X-Wing vs TIE Fighter, and X-Wing Alliance!!! XvT has the Balance of Power built in

both for 10 USD. What a bargin!

now, the most important question is ....

for XvT, how do we get the DSP to work??? :biggrin:

Fate is a strange thing, I had redisicovered My old copy on CD of X-Wing Alliance and had just do some reserach on line on how to get it to run on Windows 7. Looked way strange for me and now GoG has released their updated copy and I have just finished downloading it. I have also over the Christmass break reinstalled my copys of Jedi Knight 2 Jedi Outcast and Acdaemy and have them both working well with windows 7. My copy of Knights of the old Repubic also works well with window 7 with the grahpics fix as well. I wonder is Gog will remaster another old game by Lucas Arts called Outlaws, a western game not Star Wars.

James.

Edited by James Fox

yep, just got dark forces and xvt for less than $15. :biggrin:

Best. Internet. Discovery. Ever.

Well okay, probably not.  But it's still pretty cool. 

You beat me to it! I thought I'd jump over here and announce it. 

Everyone's probably aware, but they already released the original X Wing and the original TIE Fighter. Now with XvT and XWA, theres TONS of space flight goodness. They've also released quite a few of the other Lucasarts titles with more to come on Thursday!

yep, just got dark forces and xvt for less than $15. :biggrin:

Curious as to how Dark Forces has aged. I haven't played it since probably the 90s. I loved it as a kid...but does it still play well?

I replayed the original about a year ago. Graphics are VERY rough by modern standards, sprites and all at low res, it's basically Doom with Star Wars sounds and enemies. But, I did largely look past it to play the whole game and enjoy it.

original X Wing and the original TIE Fighter.

indeed.

and I've got them all converted for XvT ... a huge project I did in the early 2000s. Along with about 1500-1700 other missions (everything I could find and collect of the old DOS missions for both original games. Some were really great, some good, some crap)

Unfortunately, iirc, stock XvT doesn't have all the ships needed for the T/F mission sets. Hence the need for the Draconis Ship Patch.

So, if someone has the new GoG version, let us know if all the TF ships are there (T/D, MB, modified CRVs and M/FRG, and so forth)

but the original XW missions work just fine!

Wrench - that's an impressive project. You still fly a lot of Star Wars stuff? I have the GOG versions now, and am pretty sure it has the T/D, MB, CRVs and stuff. 

yup; got everything up and running, on the original BoP CD edition. (with thanks to Fubar for reg edit help!)

Got it up and running in mid-November; some of them seem to have a few faults (mostly in craft orders), but they work

unfortunately, what doesn't work in Win7 is XvTEd. Fortunately, I have an old XP machine that it does work on.

Oddly, AlliEd (for XWA) works in Win7. Very odd!!

was actually going over the 5 Tour "Battle in the Outer Rim Territorites" set (originally, a replacement for the 5 TODs in XW)

be advised, for the Original XWCD tours, there is NO Death Star surface attack and Trench Run, as, afaik, there is no add-on OPTs for those.

I never played rebellion. Is it pretty awesome?

Wrench - sounds cool. You have any of those battles posted anywhere? I stayed up way too late last night playing the stock campaign of Alliance, as well as a couple of the Balance of Power missions. I like the semi-dynamic feel that the battles in XvT have. 

They were never (re)posted, even when I had my site.

maybe I should ask Erik for "Star Wars" category in the d/l section? Not too sure on the legality of (re) posting the original XW and TF missions, due to copyright issues, but the others (if I can find any post-worthy!!) should be no problem.

mind you, they'd be in BoP format, which was slightly different from XvT. But, with this new version I don't forsee any issues.

I guess I'll have to get it earlier than I thought, so I can test it

Okay, maybe we need a 'essential mods' thread for the SW flight series.

I know the original X-Wing and Tie Fighter can't (or weren't) modded.  I also know the versions GOG has are not the collector CD-ROM versions which in some ways are better.

Anyway...so that leaves XvT, XvT with BOP, and Alliance.  So, what are the essential mods for these?

FC

• Like 1

Okay, maybe we need a 'essential mods' thread for the SW flight series.

I know the original X-Wing and Tie Fighter can't (or weren't) modded.  I also know the versions GOG has are not the collector CD-ROM versions which in some ways are better.

Anyway...so that leaves XvT, XvT with BOP, and Alliance.  So, what are the essential mods for these?

FC

Off the top of my head, the hi-res ship model addons for XWA, which are available from Darksaber's site.

Off the top of my head, the hi-res ship model addons for XWA, which are available from Darksaber's site.

The DSUCP?

Yes...there are a couple of mod packs for XWA. However they require the disks to install. But as I understand it, the creator (Darksaber) is working on some sort of patch that makes it GOG-compatible. 

XWA also has quite a few campaign mods if you start to explore around. 

There's a series of mission downloads from a couple different websites for all of the X Wing/TIE Fighter games (Xwing, TIE Fighter, XvT, XWA). 

http://rebelsquadrons.com/

http://tc.emperorshammer.org/battlecenter.php

Also - the community at the Tie Corps (second group) is pretty legit. Cool stuff. 

I know that JonathanRL has been flying on-line for some time, as he posted a movie on the FB page

nice to see Emperor's Hammer is still alive!

I haven't tested it yeat, but Darksabre's new Background Pack looks EXCELLENT!!! (may test it on my original XWA install)

as to the original XW and TF, they can be modded, but the missions/TOD pack would REPLACE the original Tours, as I understood it 'way back in the early 2000s.

Which is why I did the XvT conversions; much easier and simpler to add missions to the lst files

Not for "some time". I had this game since I was a kid and GoG.com is the first opportunity I had to play it online. And it was just as I expected. Awesome.

Ok, so before I run out and grab it (one of my favs from long ago) does it work in Win.7 without tweaking and with modern HOTAS? I read also maybe Track IR?

Thanks! Just trying to be clear.

-Jeff

It does work in WIn7. HOTAS should work. Track IR will probably not work, but might work in X-Wing Alliance at least.

XWA Upgrade has now released the XWA Upgrade Pack for the GoG.com version.

It looks so freecking awesome!

anyone get dark forces and if so anyone can get the graphics unpixeled. i tried playing with configurator and still nothing. its like playing from the 80's.