Sign in to follow this  
MigBuster

Thought you knew about Archery

Okay that was awesome. You know a lot of what that guy says makes sense with placement of the arrows on the bow, the quiver etc. Hmmm. While that was nice and very imformative I still prefer pistols :D

I love the "drive by shooting!" I wonder if the native Americans shot like this? I haven't seen any references except for them vaguely shooting from a moving horse which would have required a lot of skill.

I'd also be willing to bet that some of these techniques became less viable with high draw-weight bows; with the Mary Rose discovery, English warbows ("longbows" as we like to call them today) of draw weights in excess of 160lbs were found and the arrows they shot could weigh over 4oz (Strickland and Hardy estimate a range of 3.5-4.5oz for the arrow just to resist shattering under the power of a 150lb bow)!  A warbow might not always be shot from maximum draw, but that is a LOT of weight to overcome for speed shooting.

One of the things I like most about Mr. Andersen's efforts is that they present us a re-discovery of a lost art that proves at least moderate weight bows could be fired at a tremendous rate, and what has probably been dismissed as legend by old men in libraries again has a basis in reality thanks to an individual who took the time to practice, experiment, and breathe new life and data into the subject of archery and military history.  And it's more than just speed; his accuracy is incredible, and while most of these shots are taken at very close range, it's pretty clear he's got good accuracy at moderate ranges based on this video, WHILE maintaining firing speed.  Really looking forward to any other developments he has.  Would be cool to see if he does take up a heavy weight bow and if anything he finds differs from the current research!

Just awesome!  It requires lots of skills, I have never thought archery could be so 'effective'.

I remember watching a fine documentary about the Mughal Empire. The part about the Mughal military superiority was illustrated by such impressive demonstrations by an expert bowman using this kind of double-bent bow on horse-riding at a gallop, shooting targets in very quick succession almost at point blank while making dodging acrobatics on the saddle. This expert bowman, said to be one of the best in this art, was closely working with historians to help supporting their researches; I wonder if he was the same man?