JonathanRL

Homeworld 1 & 2 Remastered

Lol exactly fastcargo mate. you don't get what im saying. there has got to be a better way of selecting a ship than clicking it. this is in 3d world and ships overlap each other. sometimes clicking on the one u want ain't easy. heck it becomes difficult to issue an attack order as the enemy ship is say covered by my own strike crafts and whatnot.

click...no wrong ship. zoom in...click...no. rotate cam, click..still no good. wait 5 seconds so the ship in foreground moves outta way..click.. got it. meanwhile..."Battlecruiser lost" what??

The other way is select all visible ships (hotkey), then click on the ship types from the list at the bottom that you want with Ctrl-click. No selecting of ships on screen needed.

FC

gameplay shots!

ss00028_zps9e56a77e.jpg

ss00026_zpsb4f3b638.jpg

ss00025_zps8403914c.jpg

ss00027_zpsa3dc5e95.jpg

ss00024_zps828a72ff.jpg

ss00022_zps03d7e1cc.jpg

ss00023_zpsf2c21135.jpg

ss00020_zps476d59c2.jpg

ss00021_zps0fd77960.jpg

ss00019_zps774c0445.jpg

ss00018_zpsa2f14162.jpg

ss00016_zpsd229ff18.jpg

ss00017_zps3655988e.jpg

ss00015_zps3e520b66.jpg

ss00010_zpsb822669f.jpg

ss00014_zpsffc5f39b.jpg

ss00013_zps9def712d.jpg

ss00012_zps765890fa.jpg

ss00011_zpsb57b90d9.jpg

ss00008_zps6a918d84.jpg

ss00001_zps8f2d31a5.jpg

ss00029_zps3812438e.jpg

ss00004_zpsb329ccc4.jpg

ss00002_zps8411ab29.jpg

ss00005_zpse8ff93ec.jpg

ss00007_zpsdefa9121.jpg 

The other way is select all visible ships (hotkey), then click on the ship types from the list at the bottom that you want with Ctrl-click. No selecting of ships on screen needed.

FC

yea and also drag select with A pressed will only pick combat units.

Website says available Feb. 25th 2015. I loved the series, many hours spent. I will go for it for sure. I would imagine it would play OK on my marginal system. Thought about Elite Dangerous, but  just  don't have a good enough box for that, even though it's not an RTS, but looks fun.

marginal system

They do say one needs a good gfx card. Updated gfx engine, 4096 textures and whatnot. Being rather frame rate sensitive I'm probably gonna do hardware upgrade even.

Edited by Do335

Finally bought the remastered.

(There's a saying in aviation - never trust the A version of anything, same applies to games. After a few patches and updates, tis the right time to go in! Unless ofc one is a hardcore enthusiast and willing to do the beta testing. Been there, done that and then some.)

A little bit disappointed, but still within acceptable realm I think.

The Homeworld 2 part is just a face lift. Nothing new IAW gameplay. The campaign is exactly the same. I was a little bored re-playing all the same missions. But firstly the UI becomes a little bit easier with the GFX update, I dunno what they did, but there's definitely an improvement there. (Still had to mod "camera.lua" to reduce camera zoom jump.) Also there're modding tools made on relicnews forums for this new game and I was able to try out some of my own mods. Lastly, the facelift can surely be appreciated. Things look much... much nicer.

The Homeworld 1 part is more problematic. Essentially it is a porting over of 1's units into 2's engine. So there comes with a lot of balancing issues. More importantly many of the merits of the HW1 engine was not integrated at all. It seems there's an understanding on some level that the original HW1 engine was better, and HW2 was more of a graphics advancement than gameplay. Fortunately never played HW1 as it was too ancient for me but... it sure is one heck of a shame from the sound of it.

Also it is stable. There had been no freezes, crashes or glitches. It plays quite smooth on the default graphics settings. Guess it is more for myself after becoming phobic to those after using all the alpha/beta state flight sims :baby:, as well as the original HW2 that required some tuning to work on modern systems.

All in all it is not a "grand" slam, essentially a glorified 3rd party mod based on HW2 engine, from the looks of it. But on this, I reckon Gearbox has done a good job. It is most beneficial to players who haven't played the original HW series IMO, especially HW2. For the returning players the experience is diminished somewhat due to the lack of new SP content but it's nice to have the memories revisited. Old HW1 players will be most disappointed among them probably...

What pushed me over the edge was something trivia. I read on the relicnews foras about a bug, that a missed missile exploding will do more damage to the target, than if it was a hit. As the OP of that thread said, I agree it would be a big balancing issue. He reported the bug to the devs, got the reply that it would be "looked into", and there was no further news in that thread. Standard developer reply to fend off annoying players, thought to myself. This was back in March. Then I went over to the steam updates webpage and searched the update log, and found this bug was then fixed in May.

Edited by Do335

In retrospect it would be better for them to base the remastered on HW1 engine I reckon, if it was at all feasible. Would likely end up pricier than 35 bucks though.

I'm not gonna play the remastered HW1 and just gonna use the HW1 classic that came with the purchase.

Edited by Do335