Probably a dumb question, but is there any way to padlock an incoming missile?  The "Player-to-Weapon" view only seems to work with MY weapons.  I coulda sworn there was an "incoming missile" view...or maybe I'm thinking of Falcon4.  Back to searching...

I have not found how to.

The closest thing I do is to target the radio sender when I have a red "missile launch" message

There's a cameras mod here on CA I used to have installed that allowed you to cycle view through all airborne missiles.  I don't remember if it allowed cycling "player-to-missile" though. 

Yeah, I use the radio target, too. I guess I was thinking of DCS or Falcon. Never needed it in SF2, but playing a modern campaign against AA-12s is killing me.

Something to remember, the SF2 engine doesn't account for the use of active radar homing missiles showing up on your RWR.  They're essentially an insta-kill for the enemy because you never even know that one is inbound or even where it's coming from.  The maddening thing is that AI knows that an AHM missile is coming at them and knows to jink/dump chaff in an effort to evade.  You have no such ESP.

There are some solutions.

1.  Go into the Weapons Editor and convert all of the AHM missiles to SAHM.  That way, they show up on the RWR and you know the vector they're originating from.  This is what I did/do if I decide I want to fly modern aircraft.  It's not realistic.  It's not pretty.  But its a lot more fair in gameplay.

2.  Don't fly modern combat.  This is easiest.

3.  Nerf the AHM missiles in the Weapons Editor to make them easier to evade.  Again, not the ideal solution, but it IS more realistic.  Keep in mind that most of the Real Life BVR shots don't hit anything.  We keep forgetting that BVR was a great goal for aviation combat that has never really materialized.  Most of the A2A kills in modern conflict have been with shorter-range IR-seeking missiles like the AIM-9.

• Like 1

Yeah, I already decided to "cheat" and turn them into SAHMs.  Does the AI even Fire-and-Forget AHMs anyway?  

Yes they do, sometimes blop you with 2 of those in 5-15 sec intervals or if the first misses. But it really depend on air activity in the area. I've seen AI fire at 3-5 different bogies if had the AHM missiles for them.

They do fire from 40-96 miles away (tomcat/mig31 for long ranges)  

Yes.  AI will ripple fire AHMs.  Which makes it even more maddeningly unfair given the limitations of the engine.

Something to remember, the SF2 engine doesn't account for the use of active radar homing missiles showing up on your RWR.  They're essentially an insta-kill for the enemy because you never even know that one is inbound or even where it's coming from.  The maddening thing is that AI knows that an AHM missile is coming at them and knows to jink/dump chaff in an effort to evade.  You have no such ESP.

There are some solutions.

1.  Go into the Weapons Editor and convert all of the AHM missiles to SAHM.  That way, they show up on the RWR and you know the vector they're originating from.  This is what I did/do if I decide I want to fly modern aircraft.  It's not realistic.  It's not pretty.  But its a lot more fair in gameplay.

2.  Don't fly modern combat.  This is easiest.

3.  Nerf the AHM missiles in the Weapons Editor to make them easier to evade.  Again, not the ideal solution, but it IS more realistic.  Keep in mind that most of the Real Life BVR shots don't hit anything.  We keep forgetting that BVR was a great goal for aviation combat that has never really materialized.  Most of the A2A kills in modern conflict have been with shorter-range IR-seeking missiles like the AIM-9.

That's why i rarely fly beyond 1984 (just the year fa 18, mirage 2000 and mig 29 get into service but without ahm missiles)

In my continuing quest to make a modern Air War survivable, I have a question.  Does the AA-11 Archer really have a sustainer motor?  Couldn't find any references online.

Here's another little trick I do to make my modern air combat more survivable and easier to deal with.

My modern weapons are essentially copies of the Third Wire stock weapons. I think I have a little over 250 go-to weapons in my install. I erased the rest of them because I never used them.

Here's an example:

1. Go into the Weapons Editor and clone an AIM-9L. Just make an outright copy.

2. Now, where it asks for the Model Name, type in the LOD file name for the AA-11A. In the description, type in whatever you want to see in the Loadout page. I think mine says "AA-11 'Archer-A' AAM".

3. Edit the country to 'SOVIET' and add whatever other nations you think might use it. Adjust the dates to be correct.

4. Voila. You now have an Archer AAM that the engine knows exactly what to do with because it behaves exactly like a stock weapon. It doesn't get confused.

My AA-10A Alamos? They're just AIM-7Fs wearing the Russian skins. My AA-10C is an AIM-7M. My Russian ARMs are either stock Shrikes or Standard ARMs. My Russian GBUs are American laser-guided bombs. My Russian RBKs are American CBUs.

The only AHM I still use is the Phoenix. Everything else is a SAHM. The AI gets deadly enough with these, so it levels the playing field for me.

Edited by PFunk

RoninKazan (formely "Snailman") just did a REDFOR weapons pack where he tried to more accurately model the missiles; might be worth checking out.

I actually looked at his Weapons Pack.  While impressive, it actually makes the Red Side MORE lethal!   :biggrin:

Still working on getting the balance right.  Looking now at changing the AI to maneuver more aggressively against incoming AAMs.  Does the AI run out of Counter-measures?

So to change AHM to SAHM you change the 'Guidance type " entry in the missile's data ini. file to "12"?

I actually looked at his Weapons Pack.  While impressive, it actually makes the Red Side MORE lethal!   :biggrin:

Still working on getting the balance right.  Looking now at changing the AI to maneuver more aggressively against incoming AAMs.  Does the AI run out of Counter-measures?

AI use internal countermeasures but cannot use external ones