Sign in to follow this  
Ghost Rider

Radeon 9200 v 9800

I currently run a Radeon 9200 256mb board in my Athlon 2600 and am quite pleased. However, I was thinking of upgrading to a Radeon 9800 128mb. I do a fair bit of image manipulation, video editing and play COD and Half Life 2. Can anybody advise if it is worth buying the 9800 - will there be much improvement in graphics quality, especially for games?

Thanks. :)

are you kidding? tons!!! However, there are (or should be) better cards out there nowadays for about the same amount of cash. What's your budget for a new card?

If you can get an X800 XL or a 6800 that would be the way to go, although a 9800 Pro would certainly be light years better than your current card.

The Jedi Master

I run an Athlon 2600+ chip.Buy yourself a 6800GT graphics card mate,Better than any Radeon card.

The 6800GT Rocks,It's got a 1gig clock speed & 256Mb DDR 3 Ram.

I couldn't live without now. :) :clapping: :)

are you kidding? tons!!!  However, there are (or should be) better cards out there nowadays for about the same amount of cash.  What's your budget for a new card?

I don't want to spend too much - plan to spend around £100 ($200). Any suggestions of anything better than 9800 for the same price?

ATI X700 Pro 256Mb AGP.

That should spend the cash with a little saved over.

$200... alrighty then! I would suggest:

Radeon 9800Pro - Sapphire - $142

GeForce 6600GT - XFX - $154 (mail-in rebate), eVGA - $163 (mail-in rebate)

GeForce 6800 - XFX - $204 (mail-in rebate), eVGA - $199 (mail-in rebate)

I'm also assuming your looking for AGP and not PCIe, and this is why you don't see any X700s on there (on par with the 6600 GT). If not, correct me, and I'll find some other cards for ya. On these cards, it all depends on how much you want to spend. I would, of course recommend the 6800. However, if you don't want to spend that much, the 6600GT would be my next choice. Personally, I've got a 6800GT and it is awesome. Whatever you decide though, you'll probably be happy with any of these cards. They will all perform much better than what you've got now.

EDIT: Some other stuff I thought about. All of the cards are linked are 128 Mb. If you can find the same cards with 256, and it's still in your price range, that is another option. Second, always shop around before buying. Lots of online stores have specials and such going on. My personal favorites are NewEgg and ZipZoomFly (very fast (and free: :grin: ) shipping!). However, it doesn't seem your from the USA, so look for a reputable company in your area. Have fun with your research!

Edited by PG_Raptor

My mate rates the 6600GT for the money you want to spend

he manages a computer shop

aj-computers.co.uk

He's just brought a Lan party Motherboard with 2 6600GT sli pci express graphics

cards.with a 3500 AMD 64 socket 939

:) :clapping: :)