ojcar

Armchair Aces updated!

Hello, friends! 

I just have uploaded a new Armchair Aces update! Its a gigantic update, with lots of  new planes.

Enjoy it!

New in this compilation:

-Corrected service start date for Aviatik CI (it seems from Windstock Datafile that Aviatik CI went to frontline sooner).

-Bigger ground battles.

-New planes: New B.E.2c, B.E.2e, B.E.12, Martinsyde G100, Martinsyde G102, Beardmore Nieuport 12, AEG CIV, Caudron GIV, LVG CII, "new" Pfalz EII.

-Deleted Aviatik CII: it was dubious this plane was built in quantity, let alone to fly in combat.

-Some new FMs

• Like 4

This is a great surprise! I have enjoyed flying your campaigns and I'm looking forward to flying this one as well. (As soon as I finish shoveling snow!...)

• Like 1

Nice one Ojcar! Grabbing it now! Muchas gracias!

I'm sorry to say I have mistaken the Pfalz Eindeckers FMs in this package. I'm uploading a new update with these FMs corrected. Meanwhile here you have the corrected FMs for those who have the pack installed now!

Aircraft.zip

I really would love to get into this game, but I'm missing some plane models. So, is there anyone willing to share their downloaded models from A-Team Skunkworks? They're very rude to me and not responding to my requests to gain access

Sorry Buddy1998, but we can't share the model .LOD's from the A-Team. Maybe Stephen1918 will make the models you're looking for before you get approved for access over at SkunkWorks :grin: . Be sure to follow all their rules for request. They have a set system over there.

The Eastern Front campaigns using the Galicia terrain only use the planes and skins available at Combat Ace. There are only three campaigns so it won't be as immersive an experience as Armchair Aces, but it's something.

As for redoing the A-Team planes... don't hold your breath, there are still a lot of other planes that haven't been made yet...

Just playing around. Their planes are just fine. The Sopwith Triplane could use a redo though. Theirs is a bit too fat and has short wings. I know you have a triplane in your files Stephen1918! :flyer:

Armchair Aces Redux has been updated once again!

Go to grab your 1.3 version with brand new Farman F40!!!!!!!!

(Install also Stephen's Airfield for Large planes, please)

• Like 2

Ojcar, your Armchair Aces campaigns really bring the Western Front to life. Thanks for all your work on these campaigns.

Hello, friends!

Armchair Aces Redux has been updated once again!

New stuff in 1.4:

-Schneider CA1 tank
-Halberstadt D.V
-Albatros D.I (Stephen1918)
-Fokker D.III (Stephen1918)

• Like 3

Ojcar, your campaigns keep getting better and better. I appreciate all your work on the upgrades.

Ok. I managed to get most of the planes from A-Team. Another question I have is about the campaign play....

I'm enjoying the campaign missions a bunch and I know that the ultimate goal is survival until the end of the war. However, there are a few general questions I have regarding how you guys play the campaign:

1. Since you cannot crash into ground objects, do you just imagine that you've crashed and end your pilot's career if you pass through a building or tree?

2. The enemy AI is great, but do they ever run away when outnumbered or injured or is it a fight to the death?

Also, the engine sound seems to cut off and on again when landing or taking off (full throttle). Is this a limitation of the game engine or is it a problem on my end?

Salute,

Buddy 

• Like 1

Hello, Buddy.

Yes, all this is old lacks and bugs of the game engine, which are pulled from the times of SF. Probably, they cannot be corrected without intervention in the gamd root files. Otherwise, someone would have already done it. Besides, the game engine is hopelessly obsolete. Sadly, but truth.

It's also not pleasant to me, that the damaged planes quietly flies home - sometimes even gaining altitude! How do you like the plane, which land on a forced landing, and rolling back home, passed through trees and buildings. Such situations generally look idiotic. In both cases the opponents does not react in any way to it, does not aspire to finish the injured machine, as was actually. As soon as the smoke will appear, all enemies here lose any interest to the victim. What a noble action! )) Actually, to shoot the injured opponent, while it will not fall on ground is there was a norm...

But we shall wait that will tell dear ojcar.

Edited by Crowford

First Eagles is an aerial combat sim, the mission is over when you touch the ground (you either completed your mission or you didn't.) The game is very realistic in the air, most of the things on the ground are just decoration, or targets.

Most of the things on the airfields will cause damage if you collide with them. But out in the countryside only objects meant to be targets will cause damage if you hit them. So taking off and landing are realistic.

In Normal and Hard mode you almost always crash if try to land with any kind of severe damage, so rolling through trees doesn't happen too often. In Easy mode the game is more forgiving and you can run into all kinds of things without damage.

Ojcar can't do anything about the game engine. His campaigns are great for what we have, (better than the stock campaigns, in my opinion) and each version is better than the last.

Yes, the sim is old now, and has flaws. But when you fly on hard mode, and in one of Ojcar's campaigns, you'll have a great time, especially if you turn off all the cheat modes, flying just by the seat of the pants and the mark one eyeball. I've had missions where the landscape is dotted with "machines forced to land." I've had missions where the AI enemies have tried to ventilate me as I was landing with a dead engine, and other times they just circle around me like a bunch of wary sharks. And this is the only sim I know of where can alter not only the aerodynamics of aircraft to suit my liking, based on the research I've done over the course of a lifetime, but also adjust AI behavior. I can skin by myself. Make decals myself. And as long as Stephen, Ojcar, and other people keep contributing, I'll keep thanking them, and keep flying this sim.

• Like 4

Yes, as said before, it's an old game and it has some bugs, but I still love it!

• Like 1

Yes, you're saying the right things. I suffer a many lacks of FE, knowing about its advantages. But it does not mean, that I should be pleased with it and claps one's hands, exclaiming 'it is not a bugs - it is a features!'

Nevertheless, the ground objects-'ghosts' is the biggest drawback of the game. No other serious simulator is not possible to fly through the walls and trees. For example, Il-2 also is 'aerial combat sim', but there is no such nonsense on the ground! Even in the good old shooter 'WingsOfWar' an aircraft inevitably gets damaged or destroyed, if it touches the trees.

Probably, the FE's AI thinks that all the pilots of the Great war had advanced magic skill. It is a pity that we can't convince the AI to change his mind. Also we can't get AI-planes to show more agression to the damaged opponent... But we can do many other useful things.

Gentlemen, allow me to digress. Can anyone of you tell me what parameters in the aircraft DATA.ini adds to the game an effects of overload? I mean the 'redout' and 'blackout'. These effects, as I found out, is contained in our game, but they are disabled for the WWI planes. I really want to activate these effects for the aircraft, which I 'piloted'. So it was in RB3D, though in a slightly exaggerated form.)

Thanks, ojcar.

But... what it was? After short test it is possible to tell, that the gameplay essentially has not changed. The buildings-phantoms and trees-mirages have remained, the pilots show unprecedented nobleness, the 'redout' and 'blackout' do not occur... On the whole - all as in usual FE.

Well, I'll give you some clues:

-Extract the file

-Put the file in your Objects folder.

-Start the game.

-Go to Single mission.

-Fly a powerful airplane (I have tested it in a Fokker VIIF)

-When you are in the air (better in 1000m or more height), make a power dive.

-When you reach a lot of speed, do a looping or a inverted looping (very unrealistic maneouver in this plane, but it serves as a test)

-Tell me what happens in your screen  :biggrin: .

-If you don't like it in this way go to the file (open it with wordpad) an play with these lines:

[PilotGLimits]
BlackoutStartG=4.0
BlackoutAmount=1.01
RedoutStartG=-2.5
RedoutAmount=0.05
RestoreRate=0.05

Once again thank to you.

Now I have understood, where it is necessary to search. And even earlier, than I have read your last message.)) [PilotGLimits]

As far as I understand, the overload effects will work after acheivement of these parameters. However it is strange - these effects work on the late planes (Bulldog or I-15, for example), but do not work on the WWI planes - with identical speed of the aerial maneuvers!

I will need to deal with it.

It's simply because the WWI planes can't reach such accelerations (G's) under normal maneouvres. You are flying at about the same speed of a car. Bulldogs or I-15 fly at about 280-370 km/h. If you dive with one of these in game, you can reach 450 km/h easily and pull a lot of Gs in the recover. And they have 440-750 Hp engines. Youl'' have much more power (and surely acceleration) than a SPAD or SE5a 

The typical WWI aircraft flies at about 160-190 Km/h. The typhical SPAD XIII had 220Hp. So they don't reach a lot of Gs (and if you try too hard you'll probably break your plane, because their poor tolerance)

Edited by ojcar