Sign in to follow this  
MigBuster

McCarren Int Airport tour

That looks incredible, but why all the detail? I mean for a civie airport on a terrain that is going to be used for Red Flag (away from said airport) I would think that is unnecessary. And people ask why its taking so long? 

• Like 1

Red Flag? - think I will be browsing the airport shops instead.....................

• Like 1

Red Flag? - think I will be browsing the airport shops instead.....................

They are probably modeled too. 

It'd be cool if i was like Arma 3, but since it's not...

Though I have been through the airport in FSX and in real life, Nellis was far more interesting...

• Like 1

That looks incredible, but why all the detail? I mean for a civie airport on a terrain that is going to be used for Red Flag (away from said airport) I would think that is unnecessary. And people ask why its taking so long?

I'm with Dave on this one...give us more Nellis!

FC

• Like 1

Yeah I think my point came off wrong so yeah I'm also with Dave, its great their modelling it but seriously more area would be nice.

• Like 1

Someone is gonna get a reprimand for flying so low over the airport ?...lol...good detail,but as stated...why not mil airfields...civil need not be so populated.

Although we haven't gotten a "tour" so to speak what we have seen of Creech and Nellis IMO look just as detailed.  I for one am glad they decided to include McCarren, it's to large of a footprint to not have when flying over Las Vegas.

Edited by paulrkiii

That's true but I don't think I'll be taking off from there much, Nellis baby :smile:

That's true but I don't think I'll be taking off from there much, Nellis baby :smile:

Same for me, we'll be using NTTR in the 476th vFG for all our training.  One reason I'm hoping the correct (ie real world) nav aids are included so we can use the real world Nellis approach and departure charts.

We're even standing by for when it's released to populated the actual ranges as they should be if ED doesn't have that included and will very likely share with the community a template mission with those items included.

Edited by paulrkiii

That's cool I do a lot of (admittedly rare) mountain warfare training in the Caucascus as it's the only thing I got to play in the mountains with as far as being in the pilot's seat.

Edited by EricJ

Edge needs to have good enough detail for land combat. So it should be capable of way more ground detail than any existing flight sim... more like OFP/ArmA type shooters.

One could only hope that DCS would ultimately allow you to be a first person pilot that walks/rides out to the aircraft, climbs in, and can land/climb out or eject, then interact with the world like a shooter.

This obviously isn't needed for jet flight/combat, but is the kind of functionality you need when flying UH-1H and Mi-8 transports to haul troops which could be AI or even other people.

DCS will never be the best shooter, but ArmA will never be the best flight simulator.

It would be cool if DCS, ArmA, and Steel Beasts could be integrated to have the best of all three sims making all of the fans happy and supporting a much larger community.

Another aspect of this video is evidence of how well DCS could compete with FSX for airline mods.

I hope they are building a globe that ties all of these terrains together instead of little square patches like SFP1/SF2.

Edited by streakeagle

Yeah but as soon as you make a globe everybody wants to go everywhere and given the issues with one area it'll be in the next century (even at the FSX level so I think for a "globe" would be FSX..

But as a shooter?  Yeah I'd like that given the fidelity of the DCS terrain mapping, but that's another issue then you get into various areas such as basic gun mods and so on.  Overall with the dearth of aircraft able to be brought in it's just a bigger issue rather than just hoping.  Then I'd stop playing Arma and go for DCS as I can do what I like, go flying and if I feel like clearing buildings, etc. then it'd be great.  But overall it's just not feasible at the current moment in my mind.

Yeah, I'm far more interested in NTTR for tanks than planes. Let's face it, the Black Sea terrain we have is miserable for them. Odd flat planes and impossible geography. You generally don't notice it unless you're in a helo and have to set down somewhere away from a base due to damage, or you'll see a target in an unbelievable position as a result of it.

First thing I'll do with NTTR is set up a big tank battle. :grin:

• Like 1

When or if this gets completed, would be nice to see revamped AI code and maybe a map that covered all the major test/training ranges in the Southwestern US (Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, etc.)

That'll be in a decade man :smile: