Sign in to follow this  
Stratos

The Sea Harriers of the Marine Nationale over Lebanon.

The Marine National got his Sea Harriers in early 1980, in order to develope a VTOL doctrine of their own. As the Royale does not had any VTOL style aircraft they decided to purchase at lease 14 Sea Harriers from the UK. Soon they will see combat over Lebanon after the 1983 bombings. The Sea Harrier provided strike and CAS hability to the french troops on the ground, and defended itself from the Syrian MiG-23 flying over the Beqaa valley. One of the most important acomplishments developed duirng the eastern Med tour, was the use of the Helicopter Cruiser Jeanne d'Arc as a FARP for the Harrier operating over Lebanon, that helped to reduce the transit times and to increase the loitering time, a fact that proved vital during the attacks suffered by french troops on the ground. During this operations the french pilots learn a lot of tactics and procedures for safe ops on such a small deck, and even created a "picket" doctrine that let the Sea Harriers protect the vital carriers being positioned between the enemy coast and the flat tops.

During the 1983 cruise, the Marine lost a Sea Harrier on air combat against a MiG-23 shoot down on close combat by a R-60 missile, in his turn the french claimed a couple of Fishbeds, but this fact remain unconfirmed until today.

On the deck of the Jeanne d'Arc Helicopter Cruiser.

index.php?app=gallery&module=images&sect

That ship often operated as a FARP for the Sea Harrier pair operating as CAS and strike flights over Lebanon.

Taking off was always hard.

Bombing a PLO HQ on the Beqaa valley.

More was expected of the Matra Magic missile (often spoffed by Syrian flares), but at least two MiG-21 were killed by it.

Landing was tricky at best, but the french sailors soon generated a good amount of new doctrines that will soon be studied by friendly air forces.

A simple Indian Sea Harrier reuse as a french Marine National Harrier. After downloading the Jeanne d'Arc I had to do something like that, and it was really fun, even If dogfighting Syrian MiGs with Harriers is not a very clever idea.

• Like 7

I like it, though one thing I'd point out is that the decal on the fin should read "Marine" rather than "Navy".

I knocked up a Dutch FAA Sea Harrier a while back - supposed follow on to their Sea Hawks in much the same fashion as the Indian Navy - might post it latter this week if I can find it.

Craig

Edited by fallenphoenix1986

I like it, though one thing I'd point out is that the decal on the fin should read "Marine" rather than "Navy".

I knocked up a Dutch FAA Sea Harrier a while back - supposed follow on to their Sea Hawks in much the same fashion as the Indian Navy - might post it latter this week if I can find it.

Craig

Thanks! Unfortunately I suck at decal thingie.  :blink: