Tons of good stuff coming out as of late, don't you all think? Thanks fellas for all the hard work. 

• Like 15

Absolutely! Thank you all for your hardwork!

• Like 1

Lots to come, even if we have no TK support no more...

indeed...just need the time to finish stuff

• Like 4

+1 to everything said above.

However, the longer we go without any form of support or communication from TK/TW means that we're probably on a gentle decline. Oh, there's good stuff to come for sure (Mirage 4000 team - I'm looking at you) and I'll personally get a lot out of SF2 for a few years but the best times are probably just behind us.

• Like 2

Yep, good times, especially knowing there's still a lot as a WiP, despite the occasional HD crashes.

@Spinners, not necessarily but that would mean that we, as a community, need to make an ethical/legal decision (considering SF2 abandonware or not, how to go about it) and that we will require an entirely new type of modders to go forward (coders).

• Like 2

Yep, good times, especially knowing there's still a lot as a WiP, despite the occasional HD crashes.

@Spinners, not necessarily but that would mean that we, as a community, need to make an ethical/legal decision (considering SF2 abandonware or not, how to go about it) and that we will require an entirely new type of modders to go forward (coders).

That's not even needed, TK already made clear that If we don't make profit from it, and we don't share his payware content, we can do whatever we want with SF2 engine. But who knows how to deal with the exe files?

• Like 1

start with PE Explorer or similar debugger -lots of neat things hidden in exe and dlls for us to dig into :wink: yes I refer to unused strings we can't easily find since TW went from ASCII to the other coding format

as for mods coming? Yeah there are some goodies all around waiting final touches

For me, SF2 is always associated to "good times",

• Like 2

Thing is we have the tools to mod a lot of things....as long as we dont make money from it  TK more or less said do what you want...pity some who can help us to mod ands make this sim better dont want to help or share....cat tool for example....If you dont want to share the tool as they say its pirating....arent they doing it by using it?....

cmon guys share......we have rules here at CA that are in line with TK...you all know that people like insky are banned here and all here would im sure not break the rules...

I think its time to say ...well TK has seemingly dropped the pc route ...and doesnt seem to care any more   so lets do it !

Im not condoning it....but if people want pirate copies...we know its out there...so that reason is a bit by the wayside now....

ive no qualms about opening locked cats...TK doesnt care....unless I sold the contents lol

Edited by russouk2004
  • Like 1

Again is a matter of who will do it or more precisely, who can do it?. Do we have someone here in the community capable of hacking the exe? BTW I have a video showing slewable radar cursors and a working A-G radar but IIRC it was a exe hack for SF series 1, no idea If it work on series 2.

I'm agree with you Dave!

The modders and skinners stuff is fantastic in SF2!!! 

If only TK could come back with new PC SF2 updates/add ons...........

• Like 1

TK green lighted us as long as we aren't making money. So if there is a tool people have to do what we need then by god share it. I still do not intend on selling anything I have. If someone is new and they want in, well they have to buy the base sims. After that we should mod our ass off as we always have been.

One thing I want to add, always ask modders permissions if they have not signed the modders agreement. If they have signed it, then make sure credit is given. When in doubt though ASK!

TK green lighted us as long as we aren't making money. So if there is a tool people have to do what we need then by god share it.

I'm missing something? There is a tool available somewhere and someone is hiding for himself?

I'm just talking in general terms. 

let's say there is a CAT tool that opens hidden cats, those with LODs and Iceland terrain one, but it's of not much use anyway as lods are property of Thirdwire and we have tons of 3rd party objects to work with

also not that needed now as we have Mue and his/her great LOD Viewer. I think we need more folks like Mue and Gerwin, the code-savy ones

• Like 4

With Mue´s LOD Viewer the possibilities for skinners are infinite!!! MiG-15 layout extracted and raised to 4096 for a coming project here

post-37878-0-66955800-1424736944_thumb.jpg

Anyone got a copy of TK saying we can do what we want but cannot make money off it? Just to cover our asses.

unfortunately, that was posted on HIS boards, and now longer accessable

I'm missing something? There is a tool available somewhere and someone is hiding for himself?

Maybe it has something to do with this:

I were asked if I would publish a cat extractor for the locked cat files. I declined. I think TK locked the lod's on purpose so that it is harder to "steal" them. I don't like his decision but I will respect it.

In my opinion the LOD Viewer is a good compromise: for the community it helps to reskin stock lods and for TK it keeps the lods locked.

Yes, I also remember a conversation where TK allows us to modify/patch the executables. But I don't think that it includes a permission to extract the lods.

IIRC I have a mail from TK himself with those words, will search and post a pic here. Mue please correct me if I'm wrong, but such CAT extractor will give us acces to new files, but will not allow for new avionics.