Sign in to follow this  
MrGoTime

War Thunder - Any takers?

So I just started playing War Thunder. I know it's absolutely ridiculous in flight model sometimes, but boy is it a good time. Plus, the graphics look pretty solid and you can eventually get a wide variety of tanks and planes to mess around with. 

Apparently there are campaigns too, but I've never played them. 

Anyways - anyone else here play? I'm always looking for wingmen. 

My War Thunder name is Yukon13. 

Sometimes I'm really tempted. At least it's got community and you can talk about gameplay with other ppl.

But then I went to the forum and don't quite like what I see. Apparently if one wants to pwn, play Russian... which sounds familiar with all Russian games... So I realize IL-2'46 is still the better choice where at least there's open modding.

Then again who knows, maybe i'll come find you oneday, MrGoTime.

What's wrong with the flight model?

I don't know if it is so much the flight model as it is the control scheme. It feels wonky when you use a joystick. You can use the mouse/keyboard pretty successfully, but that feels wrong somehow playing a flight game. 

Sometimes I'm really tempted. At least it's got community and you can talk about gameplay with other ppl.

But then I went to the forum and don't quite like what I see. Apparently if one wants to pwn, play Russian... which sounds familiar with all Russian games... So I realize IL-2'46 is still the better choice where at least there's open modding.

Then again who knows, maybe i'll come find you oneday, MrGoTime.

You know I've never checked out the game forums. I just jump into the chat and stuff when I play on the game and it seems pretty good. 

But maybe I'll check out the forums and take a look. 

My son plays it for the tanks aspect. I tried it and it just wasn't my cup of tea. 

They are using now some new "events" Ultimate Simulator. You dont have the icons on the "radar" but you have to scan the horizon, no indicator or markings .... love it! (But only in this mode)

Sometimes I play that but when He-51 is faster than lagg-3 I dont call it simulation :-)

It's a pretty fun game, I play it every so often, and try to use the different air forces evenly. It's even more 'sim-lite' than the SF2 series, which I actually like a great deal, it's the easiest flying game I've encountered for that 'jump in and fly' experience.

Don't think I'll be splashing money towards it any time soon though, but for a fun distraction, I enjoy it.

Started messing around with it last week, its fun in an arcady sort of way not a sim by any stretch. The arcade mode is too easy - real battle mechanics are fun as for simulated I'll wait till I have TIR or something like that set up. As for the flight models my Spitfire mkI can slaughter my mkII... go figure.

Craig

tried few times, allways found out the kids with real cash to buy uberplanes do me...

the FM is OK I think, just the multiplay isn't my thing, never was TBH. Title with great engine and potential but for me sadly killed in execution*

IF it had better, open from start campaigns and solo missions I'd be more willing to give it another try but otherwise it's AirQuake as far as I tested. Historical server on the other hand required either clans or some upper levels or were hard to get into free slots back when I tried

Ohh my soso viewon War Thunder has totally nothing to do with JonathanRL kicking my sorry ass in the duels we had, I assure you! :rofl:

*"Killed in execution" -my dibs on heavy metal band name

tried few times, allways found out the kids with real cash to buy uberplanes do me...

the FM is OK I think, just the multiplay isn't my thing, never was TBH. Title with great engine and potential but for me sadly killed in execution*

IF it had better, open from start campaigns and solo missions I'd be more willing to give it another try but otherwise it's AirQuake as far as I tested. Historical server on the other hand required either clans or some upper levels or were hard to get into free slots back when I tried

Ohh my soso viewon War Thunder has totally nothing to do with JonathanRL kicking my sorry ass in the duels we had, I assure you! :rofl:

*"Killed in execution" -my dibs on heavy metal band name

"killed in execution". That's awesome. 

I used to think the same, and still do. I've never been a huge fan of multiplayer. But somehow War Thunder has broken through the cracks on that. I just LOVE how the engine looks and the planeset. 

Anyways - not for everyone. And I DO wish they had some sort of campaign or SP offline option. But hey, that's what I have IL-2 and SF2 for anyways, right? 

Here is another fresh tanker by just a week. Same name as here. :biggrin:
I agree with all the above considerations about the game.

is the tanks part any different than planes one? I've seen numerous ground units manned by players down below last time I flew it around September so I wonder how that part is handled. From screens look climatic -bu t on the other hand so does the plane part on videos

is the tanks part any different than planes one? I've seen numerous ground units manned by players down below last time I flew it around September so I wonder how that part is handled. From screens look climatic -bu t on the other hand so does the plane part on videos

Tanks have actually become my favorite part. If you play the "realistic" tank battles, everyone starts in a tank. You have to earn so many "spawn" points before you can switch to your aircraft. So it generally works out pretty well from what I've seen. I love the tank battles...it has a great damage model, and the graphics down in the dirt and grass are impressive. 

tempting...