Sign in to follow this  

Hi, all.  I'm new to the community, so this is by way of an introduction and a question!

I grabbed my first SF2 yesterday (Israel), along with the fantastic F-31A Mustang II mod.  It runs super smooth almost all of the time and plays great, but twice now when I startup and play the game, I get a random CTD in the middle of a mission.  Once, it was at the exact moment that I hit the ground during a strafing run (oops) and once while flying straight and level all alone.  No error message.  The next time I started the game after each CTD, I got the very same crash when I clicked the "Fly" button on an Instant Action mission.  Starting the game again, it ran without a problem both times.

I searched the forums for CTD's in SF2, but the threads I found were all about crashes on startup or eternal initializing freezes, neither of which describe what I'm seeing.

To reiterate, the only mod I have going is the F-31A mod, otherwise it's a vanilla install.  As far as virus scanners, I have MSE, and no other programs were running in the background.  This problem isn't a deal breaker, because the game is exactly what I've been wanting to play for years now (I grew up on the Jane's sims, and this is the first modern one I've found that makes me the same sort of happy).  But if I can fix it, I'd like to.  Thanks in advance for your help, and it's good to be here!

Hi and welcome to CombatAce.

Can you tell us what patch level you are at?

What are your system specs and what graphic settings you have the sim set to?

Patch level is July 2013.  My system is a Macbook Pro Core i7 2.3GHz, 16GB RAM running a Bootcamp'd Win7 x64.  GPU is a GT650m with 512mb VRAM.

Graphics settings in the sim are mostly High, although I saw some stuttering so I turned off rearview mirrors and cockpit reflections, and set the terrain, shadows, and ground object textures to Medium.  

GPU is a GT650m with 512mb VRAM.

I think there is your bottle neck. SF2:Israel is very graphic intensive. May I suggest you go to medium on all settings and play through a few missions and tell us your results. 

Hmm, that's odd. Anyone else have an idea?

pity the 3rd Wire boards are gone. Someone, also with a Mac reported similar issues. I don't recall what the fix, if any, was

Thanks, Coupi.  Yeah, I looked at that post during my search.  That was what caused me to finally get rid of Avast (it had been a while coming anyway).  But it doesn't seem like that was the issue I was having.

I appreciate the help, all.  If anyone has any other ideas I'm all ears.  On the other hand, a CTD isn't a bad reminder to blink every hour or so I suppose...

Cheers!

Hi, all.  For closure's sake, here's an update/solution(ish).  I think the problem is network-related, since running the program with my wifi disabled has removed the crashes completely.  I don't know more than that, but since the game doesn't have network features anyway (boo) it's simple enough to do.  Thanks for the input, etc!  

As an aside, I added SF2:V to my install, so it appears the sickness is progressing nicely...

Cheers