Hey there,

as 3d max 2009 seems to be unavailable, I read, that (with the help of a 3dmax-user of course) you can use Blender to create 3d models too. So after another day of constant fighting with Blender to get things done the way I want, I just wanted to ask, if someone can recommend a good read about Blender. An overview of the most used and important things to create 3D models would be very hepful. I guess forgeting everything you know about using Windows-programs seems to be key to learn it. ;) So any help is appreciated!

Rene/Nyghtfall

Thats the way I'm going atm...obviously it is the way you have to go here. Thanks anyway.

Edited by Nyghtfall

Just one small <uestion :

How do you translate a blender into a sf2 compatible file ?

someone with MAX has to do it, via the 3W exporter (which is only for max)

FastCargo had a thread about doing just that, and said Blender to Max 2009 was the least wonky to do. You sir appear to be the first to try the great experiment.

Good luck and please keep us up on progress. I might join you and try making the generic airport terminal i've been wanting awhile now

Hey there,

as 3d max 2009 seems to be unavailable, I read, that (with the help of a 3dmax-user of course) you can use Blender to create 3d models too. So after another day of constant fighting with Blender to get things done the way I want, I just wanted to ask, if someone can recommend a good read about Blender. An overview of the most used and important things to create 3D models would be very hepful. I guess forgeting everything you know about using Windows-programs seems to be key to learn it. ;) So any help is appreciated!

Rene/Nyghtfall

Nyghtfall, try these for blender info.

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D:_Noob_to_Pro

http://gryllus.net/Blender/3D.html

Edit: I just realized that this is my five hundredth post on CombatAce. 

Edited by KJakker
  • Like 1

FastCargo had a thread about doing just that, and said Blender to Max 2009 was the least wonky to do. You sir appear to be the first to try the great experiment.

Good luck and please keep us up on progress. I might join you and try making the generic airport terminal i've been wanting awhile now

I can't believe no one has ever done it before. :)

Don't expect to much here. I've never worked with 3d-modelling software before, so it's mostly trial and error. My focus is on small fakepilot-objects of course, as everything else would be far to much. First try is nothing to get excited about it - a LAU-118 Shrike/HARM-Launchrail, but that seems doable to me.

Nyghtfall, try these for blender info.

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D:_Noob_to_Pro

http://gryllus.net/Blender/3D.html

Edit: I just realized that this is my five hundredth post on CombatAce. 

Thanks for the links, that will definitely help!

And grats to 500 posts! :)

Last versions of Blender made conversion to 3DS even more complicated.

I dont think its even possible to make complete model with UVW maps and hierarchy

and export it into 3DS.

I do mesh modeling in Blender because its faster and I was used to, then everything else

I did in 3DS. Maybe somebody could make export from Blender available

Monty CZ

Mue, the lodviewer developper may have the right knowledge

A little update on this one. I tried to create some simple objects in the meantime in Blender and failed 2 times. I was already about to give up, but this week I started a 3rd and last try and it seems to me, that it could work this time.

My Testobject is a simple Pylon with a Missile Rail attached to it, according to Blender it should have the right measurements, orientation and scale for all axis, has a material applied and I managed to UV-map this thing. So I guess next step is finding a willing person with MAX, that has a bit of patience with me and can help me converting that thing to a SF2-usable form. If someone wants to give it a try, please PM me!

Attached is a picture of my "creation".

post-89464-0-60982800-1430949461_thumb.jpg

I tried a Blend file     then export to Collada .Dae ,which will open in max....but no animation will convert IIRC mapping and heirachy is fine tho

Edited by russouk2004

Test successful!

Russouk2004 gave it a shot and converted it. And it's working quite nicely. So for 3D-Beginners without MAX like me its a chance to get into this, learn something while creating fakepilot-objects that are maybe useful to other people. Thanks mate!

Cheers

Rene

The Sidewinder-Pylon is the new one!

post-89464-0-86691200-1431374356_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I cant get on with blender  im used to the 3ds max interface...in blender I couldnt even find the tools for rotating in the viewport lol

Edited by russouk2004

I can totally understand you...I regularly hit the wrong buttons and distort everything...or create new windows and cannot get rid of them. Blender's handling concept appears to me very questionable. I never had a windows-program before, where you had to forget everything you know about software...hotkeys and shortcuts that work in most windows-programs....they do not here...in fact they are sometimes even switched in functionality over windows.

I read somewhere that you have to take your time to learn it and once you know what you're doing, everything gets clear. I still want to believe the guy that wrote that. ;)

But still...the results can be used in SF2.somehow...and that is what counts. :)