33LIMA

Il-2 '46's new supermod!

TFM (CUP predecessor) had a lot of optimisation porblems, is it still the case ?

Never got around to downloading and installing TFM so can't compare from actual experience. So far, CUP doesn't seem any better or worse than DBW at handling stuff that slows the sim down on my old rig, like very dense urban areas or the crammed airfield in the Afrika mission reports. I had to apply the adaptive half refresh rate v-synch in DBW 1916 (as reported in my Nieuport 28 mission report a while back) to avoid a real slide-show near the DBW 1916 airfields and have kept that turned on for CUP. I think there was a bit of stutter in the Beaufighter mission in CUP, when a lot of bombs hit and threw up smoke plumes,

gave it a go for the last third time

This time it works sort of well. Installation isn't the biggest problem, the problem is lots of occasional crashes and the QMPro doesn't work for me at all. Burning Streak campaign and Dutch Singapore ones work so far, others won't even launch so there you have it.

Also the changes aren't that much to justify the 30+ GB folder IMO, well the sky mod IS very nice I admit it

bare with me that is with WAW only, without the jets nor WW1 stuff

edit:

ehhh this time QMB pro works which is making me puzzled beyond words. Korea map surely looks nice with the repaint. Ohh, still have random CTDs

Edited by Stary

How much disk space requires il2 + CUP installation? Aproximately...

over 50 GB, I'm right now on WAW+TJW and it's some 50GB including backup clean Il2 2.07 installation, so it would be something like 46-47 GB for those two

• Like 1

I've always thought of these big sealed off packs the lazy man's solution.

Real man use Modact and add whatever mod of his choosing one at a time -- After he's decompiled the class files and taken a look at them in a java editor that is, so that one knows exactly what's happening with his install. It sounds daunting but as a dedicated Il2 flyer it'll pay off eventually.

:diablo: :diablo: :diablo:

Edited by Do335

QMB issues can be related to the file "lastquick" in the quickmissions folder. Deleting that file helps. But it seems you have to do that every time you switch to another module. I can't tell if that last is true because DOF is the only module that worked for me so far. 

Just deleted everything. Going to do a new install (about the 10th time) but this time with V2Torrent. Downloading now (fingers crossed)

• Like 1

true Claw,

as otherwise one gets "data file error" warning when running QMB in other "era"

seems like i can't even make modact work. for some reason, the il2fb.exe crashes instantly  :blink:

How much disk space requires il2 + CUP installation? Aproximately...

I have il2 v4.12.2 + maps+waw and it takes 29GB...not that it's of ANY relevance as it does not work...YET!  :frantic:

• Like 1

works for me, from torrent v1 and update, just crashes on regular basis

AND and that is major downside for me -almost no stock campaigns works :sad:

CUP is still working fine for me, all three modules but playing mainly WW2/'World at War'. 

Main benefits seem to be:

- some extra planes, over DBW;

2015.03.08 21-40-10.jpg

2015.03.08 21-38-56.jpg

2015.03.09 14-32-06.jpg

- the new AI (not yet qualified to say what's different/better);

- wheels and spinners on many planes are more rounded/less angular;

2015.03.12 20-55-08.jpg

- more maps (many accessible from QMB with included Mission Pro 'sub-mod');

2015.03.12 21-12-43.jpg

2015.03.11 22-46-44.jpg

2015.03.09 18-46-29.jpg

2015.03.08 23-43-53.jpg

- more/new ground objects & ships (this one may not be new but you get the picture);

2015.03.08 23-33-34.jpg

- formation taxi-ing and take-offs possible, where incorporated by mission/campaign designer;

- better effects than 'stock' DBW eg volumetric smoke, better clouds, better tracer smoke trails;

2015.03.12 21-10-53.jpg

2015.03.12 20-59-06.jpg

- numerous optional 'sub-mods' included in package;

- easier to d/l and install than DBW+TFM (for some, anyway!).

You still need to add campaigns & additional skins to see the sim at its best; but as a platform, I can see why the Community User Patch would be the new starting point for IL-2 Single Player.

2015.03.11 22-53-51.jpg

2015.03.12 20-57-42.jpg

2015.03.09 22-35-05.jpg

2015.03.09 16-04-11.jpg

I made it work, just drove a Jeep around Moscow, these guys really did something special with the game, I think there's still stuff to figure out about the mod, it's freakin huge...

Jeeps in Moscow...next thing you know, there'll be Bears in Arizona...

2015.03.12 23-43-51.jpg

...over the Grand Canyon, no less...

2015.03.12 23-43-06.jpg

...and there's deer on the loose up there, too. Hinds, to be specific...

2015.03.12 23-39-34.jpg

Screenies from CUP's 'The Jet Age' module.

yeah all valid and I agree this is going to be good base for a both SP and MP (which I do not play anyway) further development

it's just... for a mod that takes 50 GB I'd expect it to run a bloody stock campaigns from a get go and do not CTD like every mission! :clapping:

as for additional fx etc, yes these are nice but I think DBW had even better in some aspects, also the maps are a mixed bag, some are very well done repaints others not that much, matter of finding the right mix I think. Ohh the MiG 3 looks straight from 2001 era still :sad:

That was made me cautious about the early TFM.

I have a DBW, a SCW and and a HSFX install, no more than 50 GO cumlulated and working very well

I am not sure I will install CUP before it is more "robust"

I finally got it all working. Even V2torrent doesn't seem to be flawless. I needed the v1 update for WAW to get it running. Besides that most of the reasons it didn't work earlier appear all to be of my own doing. Old age isn't creeping up on me, it's overtaking me left, right and center.

got just jet war module. anyone know if SAM's in this edition? i know there was a beta mod for that soem tiem ago.

Sorry, dunno about sams, but Uncle Sam's finest seem...well, fine...

2015.03.11 23-01-16.jpg

2015.03.08 23-28-31.jpg

2015.03.09 10-30-37.jpg

2015.03.10 23-47-54.jpg

2015.03.10 23-26-02.jpg

2015.03.10 23-29-09.jpg

2015.03.13 21-29-59.jpg

2015.03.13 21-28-53.jpg

...in this case, a P-47 over the CUP Phillipines map (albeit wearing D-Day invasion stripes,thanks to a bad choice of skin on my part)...

2015.03.13 21-38-45.jpg

...as are the enemy, rather more appropriately marked..

2015.03.13 21-41-46.jpg

2015.03.11 23-01-56.jpg

The stock campaigns seem to work fine in CUP, if the Soviet fighter one is anything to go by...

2015.03.13 23-19-06.jpg

2015.03.13 23-30-17.jpg

...as seems to be FlatSpinMan's Defence of the Reich campaign for Willi Jedermann, even tho not I think built for 4.12...

2015.03.13 21-05-11.jpg

2015.03.13 21-05-31.jpg

Only thing I really don't like is that at least some grass airfields have these odd-looking rows of bright green cabbage-like plants either side. They look odd and are still bright green even in dull light and conspicuously pop out of view as the range increases. Haven't seen that before.

2015.03.13 21-28-28.jpg

Despite that, so far, still so good, for me.

2015.03.12 21-09-45.jpg

2015.03.12 20-54-23.jpg

33Lima, could you post less of a teasers and more what you did exactly to have the CUP working? And water=4, which doesn't work for me

most of all, the campaigns. which works and which do not?

I was surprised I got this working on the first try....

Here's what I did, in order, 

I had a stock game from the cd patched to 4.08 that I hadn't touched till I saw this thread so I installed the 4.12.2 mega patch(link below), ran the game to make sure it worked. I didn't notice any difference over stock

Second, I installed Modact by just putting the files in the main IL2 folder and ran the executable. I DID NOT use the torrent on any of my downloads, I installed them in order for each module. You have to then launch the game using the selector that comes with Modact. Mod act will give you the option of starting the game with different modules even if you havent installed any yet. It also gives you the option of playing a "stock" game. 

I then explored this exe called JSGME included with Modact which is now in your root IL2 directory. I enabled a mod called MissionProCombo, I read the forums and found that fixed a lot of issues.

I then installed module 1 by downloading all the parts to a folder, then extracted each one in order to my root IL2 directory. This is basically a giant map pack. Since I had not installed any other modules though these maps did not show up when I played the game to make sure everything was ok so far.

So then I downloaded the parts for Dawn of war and again unzipped them to a folder and dropped each part in numerically in order overwriting when prompted. Started the game with the Modact selector and chose Dawn Of war. Worked after a 45 sec load time to the mainscreen. I did this with the other two modules again one at a time and in order and overwriting when prompted. 

I remember you must run the game under Open gl in the setup menu for the game in the root folder. Doing that will allow a setting of "Perfect" to be selected for water ingame.

Hope this helps.

BEST INSTALL ADVICE:

The C.U.P. Modules drop into any install of - Il2/1946 + 412 + SAS MODACT (5.3) and do not effect existing #SAS folders

ONLY THE BASIC SAS MODACT 5.3 IS REQUIRED

SAS IL-2 4.12.2m Mega Patch
http://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,38443.0.html

SAS Modact 5.3 for IL-2 4.12.2m
http://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,37662.0.html

The C.U.P. Modules will be updated in the usual way with subsequent additions, in SFS format, simply applied over the top of the existing install.

ALL ADDITIONAL OPTIONS ARE INCLUDED
Many JSGME tweaks and features may easily be added or removed, according to taste, whenever the player wants.  Each is prefixed according to its effects:
#CUP - Universal Option applies feature to all modules
#DOF - Option applies feature to ‘Dawn of Flight’
#WAW - Option applies feature to ‘World at War’
#JTW - Option applies feature to ‘The Jet Age’

DO MODULE ONE BEFORE ANYTHING ELSE
Get all nine parts of CUP Module One and UnZIP/UnRAR direct to your Il2 main Directory

NEXT APPLY THE FLIGHT ERA MODULES
Get them all or get the one that interests you most first off
Get ALL parts of the next module, currently 4 for DoF and JTW and 7 for WaW
UnZIP/UnRAR direct to your Il2 main Directory

Select the new Era with the new Selector and go fly!

• Like 1

The stock pilot careers seem to work in World at War, again the selector allows you to run a bone stock game (which is brilliant) if further evidence proves otherwise. I haven't tried third party campaigns. 

I must say that with the proMission mod activated, single missions are great now that you can change your aircraft to any flyable from a drop down menu like sf2.

Lima I agree with the "green grass" around the airstrip , very annoying. Also I don't care for the cockpit sound of straining aircraft, appropriate for WW1 perhaps but f-80s surely didnt sound like snapping groaning wood planks when being tossed around!

Oh one last thing regarding the install, I proactively edited my static ini as outlined in post 222 on the sas website regarding 70% lockup

Edited by ikon71

Also I don't care for the cockpit sound of straining aircraft, appropriate for WW1 perhaps but f-80s surely didnt sound like snapping groaning wood planks when being tossed around!

Totally agree it's become my constant pet-peeve, apparently the everlasting creak made it to IL2CloD and is still there.

33Lima, could you post less of a teasers and more what you did exactly to have the CUP working? And water=4, which doesn't work for me

most of all, the campaigns. which works and which do not?

I had an existing  4.12.2 install - created for Greybeard's campaigns - otherwise un-modded. So I took a chance and installed into that - following the usual instructions to get a 4.12 install up and running. Naturally this had been installed outside of the Program Files (x86) folder to avoid Windows issues.

Then I installed the mod activator - ModAct 5.3 IIRC - into that install.

Then - using the original torrents - I unzipped each of the CUP .rar files into the above install, in order within each module, starting with the maps, then WAW/WW2, then DoF, then TJA.

I launched CUP using the IL-2 selector proggie, same as DBW, having set RAM to 1 gig and selected WAW. Il-2 locked up hard showing 70% loaded so I checked the SAS CUP thread and found the fix for that - IIRC there are two and I can't recall which I used. WAW then worked. Enabling JTA and DoF I got lock-ups when clicking on the QMB. again searching the SAS CUP thread I found the fix was to use the included JSGME mod enabler to enable the included Combi Mod Pro. Result, all three eras functioning, tho I have only briefly checked out JTA and DoF. In the latter flying a Fokker DVII, the plane started visibly oddly, juddering if I opened the throttle full (but I also had different throttle diffs with the Albatrosses in DBW 1916 - the magnetos seemed to control power not throtle, like the engine was an early rotary not an inline - so maybe that's nothing new to CUP. In TJA a congo line of four Mig 21s on the runway resulted in the last 2 jets seemingly up-ended by the thrust of #2 on takeoff. So I have seen some strangeness but am into IL-2/CUP for WW2 so I'm not worried about troubleshooting or working around issues in DoF or TJA. Maybe later.

2015.03.09 14-21-47.jpg

Stock campaigns seem to work fine, tho I haven't tried many. Other campaigns seem to work so far are Beaufighter Oddysey and FlatSpinMan's Defence of the Reich. so that's a small selection of stock, pre-4.12 and 4.12 campaigns, working so far. Obviously they don't take full advantage of CUP eg FSM's RVD campaign still uses the Eastern Baltic map to represent the German Bight and takeoffs are still conga line.

2015.03.09 00-12-05.jpg

It may be that campaigns built for 4.12 are most likely to play out as designed, with CUP.

I have Water set to 3, not 4, in conf.ini, which looks fine to me.

2015.03.08 23-31-49.jpg

Screenshots created a very slight hesitation before CUP, now it's longer; that's the only issue I've noticed with WW2 stuff. Tracks saved after a mission play back differently to what actually happened, but that was an issue before.

2015.03.12 23-42-55.jpg

That should be useful! The version initially on release seems intended for campaign builders who can hopefully use it to check that their work is compatible with CUP and identify easily what needs fixed.

I had another problem, with the base of the prop spinners invisible on the Ju-88C-6 heavy fighter. Installing the new version of Mapmod #7 is supposed to fix this but didn't. So I tried the method suggested today on the SAS CUP thread - installing into my #WAW\!000_Classfiles\3do\plane folder the Ju-88C-6 subfolder (NOT the nightfighter one, renamed!) from another small mod from 'Jeronimo' aka Epervier: http://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,27820.0.html .

All is now well with my Ju-88C-6's spinners...

2015.03.16 23-47-03.jpg

...unfortunately for this Coastal Command Liberator, caught by three of us, off the coast of the CUP 'Norway' map...

2015.03.16 23-52-52.jpg