33LIMA

Il-2 '46's new supermod!

Tried it, couldn´t get to work, probably because I didn´t understand the install instructions right. Will wait a bit before trying again, see if some of the things you guys are commenting get ironed out in the meantime.

I installed CUP and it looks that it works fine at the moment. But one question:

Does any module have different menu screens?

Because I always see the same background screen from Modact in every module (the hangar with a P-47 and a Spitfire inside).

Is that normal?

In addition to the different screens (aviation art style) when the sim is first loading, I get different menu screens. I just loaded The Jet Age and the main menu has a Korean-era F-86 as the background. Still get the dire Il-2 menu 'circus music' with all three modules but that's easily replaced.

• Like 1

Thanks for the answer Lima.

So I don't know what is wrong, I can load DOF, WAW or the Jet Age and always see the same menu screen.

Apart from that, fortunately, the sim works well.

Dunno what went wrong there but as you say not critical. Dawn of Flight also has a unique menu backdrop, a painting of what looks like a DFW C.V, not the DBW 1916 collage.

As for The Jet Age, I'm not sure how much of this (if any) is new to CUP but as far as missiles go, the heat-seeking variety seem to work ok. I took up a Harrier II in a QMB mission, loaded up with Sidewinders, against some Tu-95 Bears.

2015.03.17 18-55-04.jpg

I know nothing of the modern Harrier's glass cockpit and the right-hand MFD was showing as inoperable, but the HUD display worked.

2015.03.17 18-58-40.jpg

Closing the range, even before I could see the enemy, I got a tone. I cut loose a couple of 'winders to see what would happen, and the results were quite satisfactory.

2015.03.17 19-00-56.jpg

2015.03.17 19-01-08.jpg

Not bad, for a 14-year-old WW2 Eastern Front propsim!

I have all of the Il-2 series up to Il-2 '46 and use them lightly modded,(will change that as i learn more). Also have 7 installs of modded CFS3 in it's various theaters of operation,addons and ect... Been into combat sims since Lucas Art's cfs...a long time! Enjoy both WWII sims ,and am only now just starting to get into modding Il-2 '46, (a steep learning curve with all the patches , addons and such). After reading this thread i'm more confused than ever! All the acronyms ! I don't know what they stand for and is like code talk to me. Rediscovering Il-2, after being away a while due to health reasons, has me enjoying this sim all over again. Where can i find what all these acronyms mean ? Very interested in the WWI sim version of Il-2 also with the FE expansion version. Have OFF 1&2 but only now can i install them as i've upgaded and maxed out my trusty Dell XP rig. Should i wait till i have built my own Windows 7 64 bit high- end gaming rig to consider this addon later this summer when the new rig is built ? Looks amazing but seems preety complicated to install compared to OFF or FE and the addons for them. Any advise is welcomed. I have time to learn till then, but looking hard at RoF,OFF3 and soon to come OFF4 for my new rig. As far as jet a/c go the Stike fighter series looks great an i enjoy Flaming cliffs and the old falcon sim i still have. But this mega addon looks very promising.Thanks again for any advice.

Edited by sixstrings

Hi Sixstrings! By the look of it, we have very similar tastes as far as combat flight sims go!

Acronyms:

CUP - Combined User Patch - the new mod for Il-3 1946. Includes 3 separate modules, which are activated or enabled one at a time, as alternatives:

WAW - World At War, the WW2 module of CUP

DOF - Dawn of Flight, the WW1 module

TJA -  The Jet Age - the post-WW2 module

Modact - Mod Activator, used by large-scale mods like CUP to 'do what it says on the tin'

TD - Team Daedalos, the group who have produced a succession of updates to the basic sim, the current one being numbered 4.12.2, which improve the Artificial Intelligence.

DBW - Dark Blue World, a major mod for pre-TD versions of IL-2 '46 (up to patch number 4.10). CUP uses the TD patch, DBW doesn't.

DBW 1916 - the WW1 module for Dark Blue World (activated as an alternative to the post-WW1 main mod)

HSFX - a major mod for IL-2, with less content that DBW or CUP I think, but more geared to providing a solid basis for Multi-Player

Until more campaigns are made for CUP - or until existing campaigns are converted - DBW is possibly still the premier mod for IL-2 single player action. I have separate installs for each. having installed IL-2 '46 and patched it to 4.10 you just copy and paste the complete IL-2 installation to a new folder of its own. You can then apply DBW to one, and CUP to the other.

The non-WW2 mods for IL2 are interesting but in many respects will not be a match for dedicated WW1 or jet sims like FE2 or SF2.

The SAS ('Special Aircraft Service') website is the best place for info and queries on anything IL-2, tho the many real IL-2 grongards who hang out over there tend to speak sometimes in a language the rest of us can struggle with!

My advice would be to make a copy of a clean IL-2 '46, patched to 4.10. Then install DBW first, in one of these, using the guide here:

http://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,21514.0.html

...then into the other clean IL-2 '46 (4.10) install, install CUP, as described here:

http://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,45222.0.html

Thanks for all the info. Will do as recommended . Thanks again! :biggrin:

Just a heads up that there are some new updates to the Community User Patch (CUP), available via the SAS site....

...one, available here, includes a new Burma map...

2015.04.15 21-34-06.jpg

2015.04.16 21-27-44.jpg

...and another, available here, which includes some additional planes and updates to one of my favourite birds, the 109...

2015.04.16 21-38-07.jpg

2015.04.16 21-33-37.jpg

2015.04.18 19-03-37.jpg

2015.04.18 18-49-03.jpg

Have not been on the forum ...

Thanks for the info!

Serious question before I really get into this. How bad is the dick dance to get it installed, patched up and FMC?

The tedious bit is the many downloads - the ones for the maps, then the ones for the WW2 module (WAW) with WW1 and jets being optional. Even if you use the torrent option, you also need to grab one of the waw files (#8 IIRC) separately as it has a fix which I THINK isn't incorporated in the torrent. Once you've got them, it's just a matter of unzipping them...in the correct order, which is where it can go wrong.

I got it right first time...but I still got a lock-up, loading the sim, at 70%. As recommended I enabled the (included) QMB Pro option via the (included) JoneSoft Generic Mod Enabler which quickly sorted that (plus it gave me many more options in the IL-2 QM builder so it was a must-have mod anyway).

A few people report installation probs but they all seem to get sorted; some may be due to enabling sub-mods (like DBW, CUP includes a lot of these, emabled via JSGME) or other mods which conflict.

It's no more hassle than installing Dark Blue World. I had a lot more trouble setting up Iron Front Liberation '44 the other day, assumed the Gamersgate version was current but no, had to download and install 3 patches (out of 5 available, eeeny meeny miny moe...) in sequence then the D-Day DLC. Worked fine till the last step, then CTD, re-install and start over...finally turned out that I was using the wrong key, of which there are three for different purposes...not THAT was a merry dance!

I see one of my favourite campaigns has now been updated to CUP standard so I'm going to give that a try-out next! http://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,45262.msg511950.html#msg511950

aaa_typhoons_4-12_logo_zps6hw6ylde.jpg

I downloaded and installed CUP.

I added tooslow's addition :

http://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,45858.0.html

Warning : if you do this, the Ms406 cocokpit will be lost, so you have to readd a MS406 cockpit (Tyr's cokpit for instance)

I also added the IAR80 variants :

http://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php?topic=1526.0 :

MOD IAR 80 new slots, models IAR80 first generation, IAR80-B, summer 1942., IAR80C, with MGFF(M) 60 rounds instead of 13.2, l'IAR81C "fighter",  equipped with 2 7.92 à 700 rounds each and 2 MG151/20 with 175, and finally the 'IAR80M that is and old model IAR, re-equipped after the first aerial raids over Ploesti.

That looks ok.

I see. I used to have a DBW install but eventually it all went wrong and I wound up deleting it all. I tried a re-install and it never would work properly for some reason, so I gave it up. I may try to D/L and install it if I can figure out which one of the files/torrents are the actual latest files with the fixes because I don't really want to spend a lot of time editing and doing fixes like last time.

In the words of the RAF motto, Per ardua ad astra!

• Like 1

Installed and all operational. It wasn't as bad as I expected and much simpler that the first few DBW installs. Now to explore!

Edited by Dave63

Good hunting!

2015.04.16 21-41-54.jpg

2015.03.16 22-11-47.jpg

2015.03.29 22-15-58.jpg

2015.03.29 21-52-55.jpg

• Like 1

hmmmm,might dust off my copy of IL-2\46

You should... pound for pound .. in my limited opinion at least IL2 is still the absolute best bang for the buck you can get in decent simming.. Yup... it's dated... and yup..... there are things out there that do some thigs a lot better.. but nothing does everythiung that IL2 does the way it does it.. With CUP you can go from Flanders to Korea..  all in one package.  Can't bet it with a stick... :biggrin:

Edited by Bearcat99
  • Like 1

By the way, welcome Bearcat to the CombatAce forums. This guy is a major poster at the IL2 forums. Glad to have you here pal.

THis question here maybe a deal b reaker for me.... Is there a Tomcat with the MOdern JEt age package?

Sorry, don't know and can't check, because the selector proggie that switches between eras has stopped woking in my CUP install, leaving me stuck in the WW2 era - which is fine by me as I don't think Il-2 can really compete with sims with the radar age built in. If it's there, it's probably restricted to guns and Sidewinders, doubt very much you can track and engage multiple targets with BVR missiles.

THis question here maybe a deal b reaker for me.... Is there a Tomcat with the MOdern JEt age package?

No (or not yet at best)

No (or not yet at best)

Thanks for the info Jeanba. I like the not yet.  :)