Sign in to follow this  
NIELS

Working Commdata & Formation ini files?

Been trying to get into FE2 - Got pretty much all updates/mods loaded. Having big time trouble with wingmen formations - My wingman keeps crashing into me - way too close!. Is there any working COMMDATA.INI and FORMATION.INI that work well together? I have the FORMATION.INI from quack74 but no commands to give to wingies. Also - Wingmen gyrate in all directions instead of flying level???? Is this an experience level issue or is there a fix?

Thanks, NIELS

Edited by NIELS

You need to edit the Aircraft's AI parameters in the Aircraft's DATA.INI. Adjustments need to be made for the "Formation" inputs. Try this AI data I use for fighters.

[AIData]
AileronDeltaRoll=1.1
AileronRollRate=-0.9
ElevatorDeltaPitch=2.0
ElevatorPitchRate=-0.10
ThrottleDeltaSpeed=0.14
ThrottleVelocity=-0.05
MaxPitchForAltitude=15.0
MinPitchForAltitude=-10.0
PitchForThrottle=0.005
PitchForAltitude=0.00013
PitchForVerticalVelocity=-0.005
RollForHeading=10.0
RollForHeadingRate=-0.03
MinRollHeading=5.0
MaxRollForHeading=30.0
PitchForRoll=0.36
FormationSpeedForPosition=20.0
FormationSpeedForRate=2.0
GunnerFireChance=80
GunnerFireTime=2.5
GunnerAimOffset=0.0050
MaxRollCombat=60.0
MaxPitchCombat=45.0
MaxRollFormation=5.0
FormationRollForPosition=0.1
FormationRollForVelocity=0.01
RollForGunAttack=1.0
RollForGunAttackRate=-0.1
RudderForGunAttack=5.0
RudderForHeading=4.0
RudderForYawRate=-1.2
RudderForSideslip=3.8
TakeOffRotationAngle=15.0
MinAIQuality=Regular

Thanks quack74 - I'll give it a try and get back with you.......Much appreciated.

Bin messing with this on and off most of the day - No good results. Happens in both FE1 & FE2? Crazy wingmen flying in close trail like bumble beez? I can't get any good results with any alt formation ini's. Even with your acft data ini's quack74...........No joy.

At a loss - I'll take a crack at it another day. I think it has to do something with COMMDATA.INI, FORMATION.INI, and Acft ini's? My guess anyway.

Thanks for your feedback quack74 -- appreciate it.

NIELS

post-903-0-50499100-1427323561_thumb.jpg

post-903-0-14212000-1427323568_thumb.jpg

post-903-0-32278800-1427323577_thumb.jpg

Edited by NIELS

the Formation.INI only sets the position of aircraft. The aircraft's Data.INI (AI parameters)  controls how well the squadron mates form up and hold formation. It's strange the AI parameters I posted had no effect

Wished it had worked - I'll probably fool around a bit more with the ini's but getting tired of banging my head on this one.

Thanks quack74

the Formation.INI only sets the position of aircraft. The aircraft's Data.INI (AI parameters)  controls how well the squadron mates form up and hold formation. It's strange the AI parameters I posted had no effect

While I can't offer NIELS any assistance, I can confirm that Quack74's AI parameters do improve formations in my install.  While the AI aircraft do not hold precise, picture perfect formations, they no longer bob and weave drunkenly all over the sky.  They now clump together in a compact gaggle that conforms to the player's aircraft.  Thanks.

Edit:  On my rig, the formations usually break up if I switch from manual control to auto pilot.  Two shots below from two different sessions.  Second shot below shows a nearly perfect formation before switching flight modes.  First shot shows formation after switching back and forth - it has degraded only a small amount.

Edited by Geezer

OK I'll give that a try Geezer - have been taking off in 'auto P' to view from outside formation behavior. Hope this works - will follow up.

Thanks much and appreciate your mods very much - Nice work!

NIELS

Heres what was viewed while flying in front (outside view - no auto' P') of wingmen & flight #2....................Bee's following the leader?????  :dntknw:

Was performed with new/fresh install of FE2 and quack74's Acft data inis, & AIRCRAFTOBJECT.INI.

Thanks again for your feedback - much appreciated.

NIELS

post-903-0-97674200-1427430558_thumb.jpg

post-903-0-37079900-1427430565_thumb.jpg

post-903-0-47698600-1427430570_thumb.jpg

post-903-0-64684800-1427430576_thumb.jpg

Edited by NIELS

NIELS -

Your shots show the SE5s bobbing and weaving all over the sky.  That's what often happened to me, generally when I switched flight modes (manual, auto pilot, etc).  Earlier FE threads have commented on this.  It is erratic - sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn't.  It hasn't happened lately now that I use Quack74's files.  As my focus is developing new models, I don't know any more about this problem.

One possible solution is Quack74's attack formation files.  You might look them over to make sure you are altering the correct ini files?

http://combatace.com/files/file/12854-new-formation-for-attack-aircraft/

IIRC, the problem happens more often if you start your game session on the ground, and happens less often if you start your game session in mid-air.

Maybe some other guys can shed more light on this?

Edited by Geezer

I always chalked it up to evasive action. The flight seems to break formation and go into a zig-zag weave when you get close to the front, when you start getting flak, or when enemy planes are in the vicinity.

Edited by Stephen1918

I have not tried starting in the air, I prefer to launch from the base for realistic/immersion. I'll give that a try and get back with results.

Thanks to all,  NIELS

Just finished in-flight test vs ground start - Formation behaved much better. Guess I'm just spoiled with latter era wingmen behavior.

Thanks again for all the feedback, much appreciated.

NIELS