Sign in to follow this  
Rodster

I'm Confused What Is WOFF?

I purchased OFF P3 several years ago and thought the modders did an excellent job with an aging MSCFS3. I recently received an email regarding WOFF. I go to the devs website and I see WOFF v1.0 and a WOFF Expansion v2.0 but what gets me is that v1.0 is $30 and the update is $45 and you supposedly need v1.0 in order to install v2.0? So that's $75 for both, what gives?

Then I come into this forum which has been awhile since my last visit and read that some have update OFF to WOFF? Huh !!!!? So is WOFF and update to OFF?

Anyways, I hope someone can clear this up for me.

Edited by Rodster

No, WOFF is not an update to OFF and OFF cannot be updated to WOFF.

WOFF is only an update, in the sense that it is a new, very much improved payware version of the original freeware CFS3 World War 1 mod Over Flanders Fields and its payware successor, OFF 'Phase 4'.

My review on this site gives a reasonably comprehensive description of WOFF, comparing some OFF and WOFF features - first part is here:

http://combatace.com/topic/82050-wings-over-flanders-fields-the-combatace-review/

Comparing OFF and WOFF screenshots will give you an idea of the extent of the improvement graphically but the whole WOFF package is much improved in many other ways, over OFF, including much better AI, better menus etc.

OFF:

Shot03-09-14-14-15-30.jpg

WOFF:

Shot02-25-15-22-31-13.jpg

WOFF 2.0 is a package which includes new features and improvements to the original WOFF, as described on the WOFF website - for example Gothas and Zeppelins and the ability to play Home Defence (sort of 'Battle of Britian World War 1') campaigns. It is not a patch, it's more like the Aces Expansion Pack for Il-2 Forgotten Battles.

"WOFF is only an update, in the sense that it is a new, very much improved payware version of the original freeware CFS3 World War 1 mod Over Flanders Fields and its payware successor, OFF 'Phase 4'.

So is WOFF exactly the same as OFF P3 just with nicer graphics and enhanced AI?

EDIT: I read your detailed review and it enhances OFF quite a bit. I do think the devs should have given a discount to previous owners.

Edited by Rodster

WOFF is a much improved new sim, Rodster.

Seeing that the had given Phase 1 and 2 to the public for free, and sold only Phase 3 called OFF,

I think it was about time that they received some money back for all their work.

And WOFF is definitely worth it.

You could also try RoF at http://riseofflight.com/  these seems to a limited to try version to test this game out. 

Believe me WoFF V2 is a great game and indeed the $75,- is absolutely worth it, but a warning for WoFF potential buyers: Be aware that the Microsoft Force Feedback joystick is not supported by WoFF game. 

Edited by Dutch_P47M

I guess my problem with spending $75 on WOFF v1 and v2 is that it's based on an aging graphics platform. If the developers had created their own sim from the ground up it would be a little easier for me to spend the $75. It's a tough sell when it's not after spending $45 on OFF P3.

Go to:

http://overflandersfields.com/index.html

and look at the vids and pics. You won't be disappointed. There is nothing aged. Forget the 2% snippet which is necessary from the CFS3 engine. There is nothing at all left from this engine.

Also go to WOFF's main forum:

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/forums/372/1/Wings_Over_Flanders_Fields

One of the biggest problems for me with any flight sim is breaking the illusion of flying. For some reason MSCFS3 and OFF P3 did just that. I always get a certain amount of pausing when flying from left or right in either. It has to be code related and I hate that. I have no problems with other flight sims or racing games. If it's not a smooth FPS then I just move on. MS Flight Simulator is another badly coded, badly bloated and woefully unoptimized flight sim.

I still have trouble spending top dollar when it's not something built from the ground up. Rise of Flight graphics wise destroys OFF/WOFF v1/v2

Edited by Rodster

I own both RoF and WOFF, but I use RoF only for online MP flying.

WOFF is the top choice if you should be searching for the most immersive WW1 air combat single-player campaigns.

It's alive, while most other sims are somehow without a soul.

Mmmm must say Pat Wilson did make a fine job making in creating the campaign mode for RoF.  

But about the last thing you are right Woff is very immerse.    

Think as a WW1 combatflysim you should have them both, going for only the eye-candy better get Clod or BoS. Do not know about DCS, WoW nor TW because I do not own these.  

Edited by Dutch_P47M

You could also try RoF at http://riseofflight.com/  these seems to a limited to try version to test this game out. 

Believe me WoFF V2 is a great game and indeed the $75,- is absolutely worth it, but a warning for WoFF potential buyers: Be aware that the Microsoft Force Feedback joystick is not supported by WoFF game. 

Dutch;

The MSFFB 2 joystick works in WOFF with no problem.

Are you saying it doesn't!

It is supported because there is the option to turn it off or on in the Workshop screen. See bottom right corner of the image in the link below:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/57920149/workshop.JPG

Edited by rjw

Yeh I know, I know how to enable and disable that function, and I can even do that on/off trick in the Windows register. 

But the problem is already explained by a few guys in the Simhq forum, no need for a repeat on that. Seems also I'm not the only person, only were can I  find the ID of the forum starter.    :angel:

edit: did you know that the original game had 23 FFB actions for the airplane alone, I do not know about the guns and release of weapons FFB, still searching on that.  

Edited by Dutch_P47M

I still have trouble spending top dollar when it's not something built from the ground up. Rise of Flight graphics wise destroys OFF/WOFF v1/v2

You may wish to check out the screenshots from the WOFF V2.06 screenshot competition.   WOFF got new DX9 shaders in the update and it looks pretty amazing, in addition to fantastic AI, massive single player campaign and regular updates (free patches, add-ons and Expansions) from the Devs.