These are AN-M64 500lb class. The statement above the picture only indicates 'Daisy Cutters' enabled above ground explosion. I haven't been able to find additional info regarding the fusing of these older bombs. I just finished a book on F-80 ops in Korea and it mentioned extended fusing of WWII bombs also. I think these must be left over's from that war? My guess would be a tail fuse and this odd looking pipe on the nose? Cruder than Nam era ext. fusing but still above ground explosion capability I guess. Sorry for the limited knowledge.

NIELS

Forgot the Osprey source..............Very good info for all aircraft and weapons. I forgot I had a copy of this book on my shelf.

Thanks KJakker - Good find!

NIELS

I'd say them bombs look just right, Volker!!

I can't find anything else for the other version. I say just go with these!!

they look too good to use ... just kind of wanna stare at them for a while!!! :)

WOW!!

excellent finds, Jamie!!!

Good thing you're doing good man, and always beautiful weapon work...

thanks that makes it much easier to finish the weapons , i have some weapons manuals for the early bombs but i can not find anything on this " daisy cutter " extensions

on the picture above though it looks like that the extension is open on the front so that a fuze could be screwed in to it , so it would be the same as on the M117 / Mk bombs

All I could find is that the 'early' version was a pipe or 20mm gun barrel welded to the fuse plug as mentioned in the Osprey A-1 book. Is it not possible the fuse was in the tail only? This seems it would negate the above ground detonation/max frag capability of the weapon but the other  bombs have fuses installed in the pictures already - Not the 'Daisy Cutters'?. It seems from other pictures of WWII/Korea bomb fuses were installed in both tail and nose. I'm not a weapons guru but maybe this was done in case one fuse failed to arm? Maybe in the case of this early ext. method the tail fuse was all that was required to arm the bomb?

Sorry can't find more info on the 'Early Daisy Cutter' - Again ravenclaw_007, your weapons pak's are superb! Thanks for your efforts and work.

NIELS

Just read the fusing portions of the manual CrazyhorseB34 provided. Should have done some home work first prior to my previous input. It seems the tail fuse only configuration of the early fuse extender/daisy cutter bomb is totally feasible. Wow - didn't have any idea of the vast fusing methods of these weapons.

Edited by NIELS

This is 500 LB BOMB used in Korea War by Aussies (Meteor). Would be nice to see it too...

post-14500-0-39017900-1431103232.jpg

post-14500-0-79998600-1431103252.jpg

The use of " Hernia Bars" for Bomb Extentions goes back to the U.S. Army Air Corps Weapons Development in the PTO durning WWII. With Tropical Enviroments with soft Soil, The AN Series Bombs had a bad Habit of Skipping at different Angles of Attack when released. This proved hazardous to Troops in contact, for there was no gurantee where the Bombs would land. So, Groundcrews devised away for the Bombs to stick in the Ground via leaving the Manual Lift Bar Tool called the "Hernia Bar" installed on the Bomb. The Bar threaded in the Nose Cavity of the Bomb where the Fuse would thread in for guiding Ordnance Crews in Loading Bombs to the Parent Racks. The Crew surrmized that it would be a large "Pub Dart".

First used in the Philipines in 1945, The Army had good results with it and adopted it use, only to be shelved for 20 Years......

In 1965, The U.S. Air Force brought back the use of "Hernia Bars" for AN Series Bombs because of the same tropical Conditions causing the same Problem with Bomb Skip with Troops in contact. Especially the A-1's and F-100 Squadrons. So they brought back the Bars with a new Improvment. They extended the Bar to bottom ot the Fuze Well and welded the threaded Ring to allow for this. The old way of having the threaded Ring welded to the end of the Bar would lead to the Bars snapping on occasion. The Mechanical Tail fuzing was still retained. The Air Force had good results with this. It solved the Bomb skipping. But the Problem here was that the Bomb would burry about 75% to 100%  of itself in the Ground. Still not ideal....

Beginning with the Mk.117 Series Bombs and the Mk.80's, The Air Force started developing a Mechanical Booster Extension to except M904 Mechanical Fuzes. Thus the "Daisy Cutter" was born. The most common that was used was what We called the "Four Footer". it was about 4 Feet long to allow for atleast 2/3 of the Bomb to be detonated above Ground. This is the Extension most seen in Pictures from the Vietnam Period and beyond,

Now there was a "Eight Footer" that I'm looking for Pictures of. So if anybody sees one, send Me a Copy Please. The "Eight Footer" was developed for the Mk.83 and Mk.84 Bombs. The extra 4 Feet gave the Weapon the ability to denoate around 3 Feet above the Ground..........

Thought Yall' would like to know.......

Semper Fi!

331KillerBee

Edited by 331Killerbee
  • Like 3

This is for Ravenclaw,

I loaded this once.......

6 Mk. 82's with "Four Footers" with Ogives and Mk 433 Tail TDD's.....     The ultimate "Lawn Darts"....

331KB

Thank you for that info , now it is easy , i add a pipe to the bomb and only the tail fuze remains

Thank you very much :good:

to make this 3d models is easy if you know how they realy look like , without this help it is sometimes very difficult to finish a project

Great info KB331..........................Now we finally know.

Much appreciated!     NIELS

some new ECM Chaff and Flare pods

-

post-15260-0-82124400-1431193160_thumb.jpg

post-15260-0-99390000-1431193166_thumb.jpg

Matra Phimat Chaff dispenser , i made 4 color versions of it

-

post-15260-0-79601400-1431193226_thumb.jpg

Cerberus ECM pod , color grey and green

-

post-15260-0-08793300-1431193258_thumb.jpg

TSPJ ECM pod , color grey and green

-

post-15260-0-56473400-1431193292_thumb.jpg

post-15260-0-26850900-1431193299_thumb.jpg

BOZ-101 Chaff / Flare dispenser , color grey and green

Edited by ravenclaw_007
  • Like 17

Holy Mirage Saver, Batman!

Seriously, I love you for doing those since otherwise, I would have had to do part of those as part of the F.1 work.

He has got a big order for F1 equipment from me ;D

this are the AN-M65 that i have finished , all now with arming-wire and the two AN-M65A1 have the single suspension lug on the bottom for use on RAF aircraft

-

post-15260-0-86621300-1431360568_thumb.jpg

AN-M65

-

post-15260-0-56489600-1431360609_thumb.jpg

AN-M65A1 , with Tritonal explosive and the single suspension lug on the bottom side

-

post-15260-0-35477300-1431360705_thumb.jpg

AN-M65A1 , with Composition B explosive and the single suspension lug on the bottom side

-

post-15260-0-10916000-1431360806_thumb.jpg

post-15260-0-04818900-1431360830_thumb.jpg

here are the 3 bombs for testing - AN-M65.7z

in case you find an error or some changes would be needed let me know

• Like 8

Do you consider making the Israeli anti-runway bomb in 1967 ?

maybe  , have to check for the real name and some more pictures of it

Would be great, but I did not find a lot of things on this topic, apart from the joined link

Raven..........................You the Man :bowdown2:

Didn't knew they used a special purpose bomb! Nice find mate!

The existence of thgose bombs are quite well known, but very few info :

They seem to have been a french - israeli porgram

The french designed the Durandal (BLU-107) out of it afterwards