I have been searching the database about "merging" files, and I think I understand it, but still had a few questions.

I have SF2:E and SF2:NA.  I always use my SF2:E exe when playing and have always added mods to the SF2:E save games folders, essentially for lack of knowing any better.

The way I am going I will certainly continue to add  games, and I am in the process of downloading Israel.  My understanding is if I keep doing what I am doing, I will still be able to run Israel terrain/aircraft/campaigns from within my SF2:E exe.

My question is: is there any advantage to adding the SF2:NA and SF2:I exe's to my desktop, and adding mods directly to those save game folders, instead of using the Europe exe?  The way I'm doing it seems simpler but I have read differing opinions while searching the boards.

Thanks.

Chuck

ok, once again let us discuss the "merge".

(isn't there a thread in the Knowledge Base explaining this??)

by default every single one of the SF2 series is automatically merged with each other upon installation.

all one needs to do is LOOK at your core files directory --- all 5 (or 7 if you create mods folders from the 2 official expansion packs), use all the same files, with the exception of their executables.

It is these very exes that create the separate "user accessable mods folders". It is these mods folders that are, in reality separate games; even though they all use the very same dlls, cat files, and everything else.

These seperate mods folders allow the End User ™ to customize each and every game to their liking....

you want to fly during the War for Independence in 1948? Use SF2:I and add the various and sundry bit to that game only

you want to have the full Vietnam experience, going back to the French? Use SF2:V, and add all the bits.

you want to experience the Cold War gone hot in Western Europe? Use SF2:E.

and so on...

Having individual mods folder helps prevent one getting too clogged* up with the myriad of things available; you can tailor you individual gaming experience to YOUR liking.

As to NA, well ....

although some WILL argue and belabor the point, the NA coding (while having it's own share of flaws) really DOES bring the necessary data for proper carrier and naval battle groups. This code IS added, apparently, to all other exes and game engine files when NA is installed (although like I said, some "oddities" will crop up, but that's not the point here).

Even now, a huge number of mods REQUIRE having NA as part of the base game installs.

We waited (nearly) 10 years for proper carrier usage, and while not nearly perfect, it does work (if the terrain is built correctly)

So to answer the basic question;

yes

separate mods folders for the individual 'theatres' as required.

*example: my plane-jane SF2 (desert terrain) has 708 aircraft alone -not counting any of the other objects; just aircraft-, and that's not all that's available, either.

Not trying to be argumentative, just a new guy trying to understand:

If I added all the Israeli  "various and sundry bits" to the SF2:E  saved game file (i.e. the mod file), wouldn't I still be able to fly during the War of Independence if I selected that theater/campaign?  Is something inherently incompatible  or is something overwritten?

Thanks again.

Yes you would still be able to fly an Israeli campaign in a merged install from SF2:E if you also have SF2:I installed..

What Wrench is saying is that by only having what you need in a particular install that makes it a more customised experience.

For example, when I'm choosing a mission in one of my SF2:I Installs (I've got 2: 1948 - 56 and 1967 up to date)  I don't want to be scrolling through RAF Harriers, Spanish F/A-18s, Argentine Super Entendards etc. that have no place in the region, spoil the immersion and just clog up the game.

Yes, I've got a basic SF2 with all and sundry in also, but I rarely use it because it's just so slow to load sometimes.

So, all my installs are 'merged' (i.e. they include all of the stock planes, terrains, campaigns etc), but are 'separate' in that I tailor them for the specific experience I want.

Hope that makes sense.

Here's a screenie of my desktop today with my SF installs on the right, although with a 3 day Bank Holiday weekend to play with and a glaring gap where a SF2: WW2 Pacific install should be that might change over the next 36 hours!

Desktop%2002.05.2015_zps2v9hbbmo.png

Welcome to the wonderful world of Strike Fighters and Combatace!!

Edited by allenjb42

Yes you would still be able to fly an Israeli campaign in a merged install from SF2:E if you also have SF2:I installed..

What Wrench is saying is that by only having what you need in a particular install that makes it a more customised experience.

For example, when I'm choosing a mission in one of my SF2:I Installs (I've got 2: 1948 - 56 and 1967 up to date)  I don't want to be scrolling through RAF Harriers, Spanish F/A-18s, Argentine Super Entendards etc. that have no place in the region, spoil the immersion and just clog up the game.

Yes, I've got a basic SF2 with all and sundry in also, but I rarely use it because it's just so slow to load sometimes.

So, all my installs are 'merged' (i.e. they include all of the stock planes, terrains, campaigns etc), but are 'separate' in that I tailor them for the specific experience I want.

Hope that makes sense.

Here's a screenie of my desktop today with my SF installs on the right, although with a 3 day Bank Holiday weekend to play with and a glaring gap where a SF2: WW2 Pacific install should be that might change over the next 36 hours!

Welcome to the wonderful world of Strike Fighters and Combatace!!

Thanks!   So more from an organizational point of view, not a requirement.

One issue I see is that I like to fly latest generation jets across various terrains.  I can my use my Europe install for all terrains and mods, but use my new Israeli install to install only cold war jets,  etc. maxing and matching as I wish.