Sign in to follow this  
ironroad

Proof that they need to retire the A-10?

Maybe it is not smart to base life off a game...

Maybe this is just another of the thousand things that remain broken in DCS

Or perhaps, based on the opinions of a few, Russian-origin equipment is the best and anything U.S. or NATO is garbage (don't airshows and video games represent real life?)

But for an Mi-8 to survive AIM-9s, and three 30mm GAU-8 passes (oh and both of the A-10s get shotdown by  BMP IFVs) shows IMHO that they really need to focus on fixing what is broken instead of over promising everything else. Edited by ironroad

Yeah one reason I fly DCS every once in awhile rather than the amount I used to.  It was all cool at first but now? Just waiting for them to fix shit will put me in my legal retirement age bracket.  So yeah, DCS is fun and cool but yeah, I don't see any rush to play it anymore.

Aircraft damage states are not modeled on AI controlled modules until a component is totally destroyed. Whereas if you were shot you'd suffer all kinds of systems failures and degraded performance, the AI simply is unaffected by them. A lot of people got this unkindly taught to them when DCS: F-86 came out, because you couldn't degrade the performance of the MiG-15 with the Saber's .50cals, and the machine guns simply weren't able to pack enough punch to blast off a whole wing without putting in a lot of rounds. That and a few other things like the rate of fire on the M3s, but that's not so important.

Human controlled modules suffer damage in a far more realistic way, so if you're looking for a good DCS fix, the best fights are had against other human aircraft.

Just curious though, what is ED over promising?

I think the point is that if the damage modeling was done conrectly for an AI aircraft then the 30mm GAU-8 would have shredded it compeletely by itself.  Given that the  Mi-8 isn't an armored helicopter it would have done some considerable damage, along with the two AIm-9 hits, which so far have no issue in bringing down an opposing fighter.

And I concur with ironroad, it seems the gunners on combat vehicles have a "Sniper" ability to hit a moving target with ground fire.  I've gotten pretty low and all of a sudden a BTR gunner is able to expertly shoot me dwnn... yeah, right.

Edited by EricJ

That's kind of the point I'm making, the AI doesn't use the same damage states as the player flown aircraft, hell they don't even use the same flight models as player controlled aircraft. I agree, it's frustratingly annoying to watch helicopters take bursts from 20mm and 30mm cannons as well as Aim-9 shots, I was just mentioning some of what goes on under the hood when an AI aircraft takes damage, not defending it. :)

I know man, but we're also not new to the DCS series (I've been flying since Flanker 2.0) so we understand... tha'ts why we're scratxhing our heads why it hasn't been fixed.

I can accept somewhat that it takes more to down a target than it should, but I don't accept the Terminator-controlled MGs on those ground vehicles knocking my "armored" A-10 out of the sky with a short burst of .50 rounds.

Way too accurate, way too lethal.

That's what I like about DCS - being low is lethal - keeps you on your toes and constantly jinking if you have to be there (See A-10A)!

Just curious though, what is ED over promising?

Graphics and eye candy, but no major substance behind it. There are still things (and AI behavior) that have been broken since the first Flaming Cliffs.

I'm all for continued development and testing, but as of late it appears that things have shifted to window dressing.

That's what I like about DCS - being low is lethal - keeps you on your toes and constantly jinking if you have to be there (See A-10A)!

The most I've survived was the A-10 and the Su-25T though... I've gotten rocked hard by AAA and still managed to fly home... the Su-25T is a tough bird...

The most I've survived was the A-10 and the Su-25T though... I've gotten rocked hard by AAA and still managed to fly home... the Su-25T is a tough bird...

I have noticed that with the Russian birds when it is AI on AI. No doubt the Russians made some though equipment that was made for the dirtiness of war, but NATO munitions either always fail to track/fuse or the AI just goes dumb. Russian munitions almost always hit home though.

Dunno, i"ve launched quite a few Mavs and CBUs and I'm kllin left and right so...

And this is while I'm piloting too so I don't think it's just AI modeling, I mean the screenies I posted in the screenshot thread was the worst I had suffered, so it's not like you don't get scratched and suffer, but yeah... it's a trend I've noticed in games like Battlefield and the like, the enemy stuff is so good while the BLUFOR stuff is shit sometimes, unless you mod it (Arma 3).