pcpilot

HOLY CRAP!

You aint gonna believe this one, Im having a hard time wrapping my head around this. There is no freaking way a skipper could screw the pooch this bad. It had to have been an engineering malfunction. Yet even there, you've got tugs holding you, this just doesn't make sense.

"Reports are coming in that the USS Arizona Memorial was struck by the USNS Mercy while the massive hospital ship was attempting a docking operation in Pearl Harbor. It’s unclear if the hallowed site was hit by the ship, one of its tugs, or both and what kind of damage occurred, but eyewitness say they heard the ship hitting both the memorial and the underwater wreckage."

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/uss-arizona-memorial-reportedly-struck-during-docking-o-1707312516?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+jalopnik%2Ffull+%28Jalopnik%29

Edited by pcpilot

Some updates suggest the Mercy or a tug may have struck the floating dock at the memorial and crunched it up. The Navy and Park Service are doing an investigation now. Boy, talk about screwing up though. That memorial is probably one of the top 3 in this country that is genuinely considered holy ground. You know, mishaps with ships happen all the time. But this sure isn't the place to have one. Poor ship handling by any skipper is usually cause for re-assignment.

post-66-0-02188300-1432817244.jpg

Edited by pcpilot

I agree this is just unforgivable. In port with calm weather. Reassigned to kitchen duty I hope.

Then again the military sent out 22 shipments via FedEx of LIVE ANTHRAX.  What's going on these days?

You are right: I just cannot believe it... History really showed no Mercy to poor Arizona.

:laugh:

I am so stealing that one!

and yea, permanent kitchen duty..............

Edited by Typhoid

It was supposed to have been rendered inert first. It wasn't. Major breakdown in procedure.

at least it wasn't a General breakdown in procedure. that would be bad....

If the Arizona has indeed been struck, lets hope that the bodies of those sailors who are interred within the hull have not been disturbed !!!