Sign in to follow this  
Foofighter

USS America

This must be upsetting for the Vets of the America. They wanted to turn it into a museum but the Navy used it to see how to improve the survivability of future carriers.

Here's the Navy's reason:

The Navy said in March that the explosive tests would provide valuable data on survivability for the next generation of aircraft carriers, which are now in development.

Here's the link to the story at military.com

I don't know, if I served aboard that ship I'd be upset. I know they can't save them all but I'd still be upset if they did that to the Ike.

Also, I don't know again, if the tests resolve current weaknesses for the future carriers I guess we are moving forward?

I guess they couldn't figure that out another way?, I would have liked to visit it as a museum but it's too late now.

Cecil gone as well so I feel their pain.

Foofighter

Foofighter

Edited by Foofighter

Every so often the Navy takes a boat of each class out and sinks them as they said they did with the America,myself I think it would have been better as a museum,but not all do..some years back in the Kennedy we went thru a series of survivability tests,they used a hell of a lot of explosives we did not sink,we were never told the exact amount of explosives used,guess they wanted a full size newer(32 yr old) and see how much firepower it really took....some boats are definetly luckier,myself I was bit apprehensive about a boat named America, picture the headline.. America sinks....she was supposed to have been the last conventional powered boat built,that would have assured her a museum slot,the Kennedy was laid out as a nuke powered boat but congress thought better of it and ordered it be conventional powered..so the Kennedy Will become a museum piece,probably be set up next to ole ironsides up in boston harbor...did the Nav say where they sunk her? any pics?

It is a shame when a decision like this is made, howeve, the last time a serious test was carried out on a carrier was after WWII. Being Ships Company on the Sara, I understand how some of the America's crew feel but if in the long run it helps to make future ship safer and more survivable then these tests were worth it.

If I recall, the tests were carried out off of Norfolk,VA. Also the Oriskany was scuttled near Florida to make an artificial reef recently.

Well now we know how the TinCan Sailors feel when a small boy is blown up.

Roger that. I was on the John R. Craig DD-885. A couple months after I got off her, she was taken out and used as target practice. It was like losing a very dear friend. I actually teared up when I heard about it.

Being a Vietnam Vet and a former USMC Naval Aviator. I'm really sorry to here about the America and the O'Boat. I carrier qualled on the Oriskany at Pensecola (the Lex was in for Refit) .I refueled on the America on Yankee Station in between Alpha Strikes.

I was flying EA-6A Intruders (the old 2-seaters). Our callsign was Cottenpicker if anyone is familiar with it.

For me, it is hard to realize just how fast time passes.

It only seems like yesterday that I had enlisted in the Navy, and was going through boot camp at Orlando, FL.

Now even RTC Orlando has closed, and both of the aircraft carriers I served on are decommissioned: USS Independence, and USS Saratoga.

So far, all the squadrons I served with are still active, but I am sure that will soon change.

Sad, very sad. Only a couple years ago, I visited Jacksonville, FL, and called up my supervisor from my first duty station. AME1 E.J. Ditlovson. His wife answered the phone, and told me he had passed away over a year previously, from a heart attack.

I wouldn't trade my memories for anything. My time in the Navy was the best time of my life, period.

GO NAVY, GO NAVAIR.

Navy Chief