Sign in to follow this  
gbnavy61

Korea Campaign and 23mm AAA

So, I have my Korea only install with the campaign. Awesome, and I love all the jets and props we get with it. I've been trying to do DiD, but haven't made it more than a couple missions in each outing. Why? Very(?) accurate 23mm AAA.

I started off flying Corsairs off the Oriskany - FLY NAVY! First outing, I made it three missions before literally getting blown out of the sky. I was coming in for a strafing run on the target - I forget what we were bombing, we blew up the fish cannery on the previous mission - and I thought I had enough offset to get set up for my shot and not present the gun with a nice steady target to track. But, the SOB got me anyway. He must've hit the fuel tank or something because one second I was squeezing the trigger, then next I was watching Corsair parts sail toward the earth.

Second try, I joined the Air Force for a jaunt with a P-51 squadron. First mission, I overshot on the bomb drop and the wingie was worthless, so I came around for a strafing run on the supply train. I got some hits, but the target will still intact. As I pulled out of the dive, I tried rolling a little as well to make tracking my aircraft more difficult, but I got hit on the way out by the 23mm gun covering the rail yard. The engine died, and I glided as far as I could out to sea. Alas, I ended up in the harbor and I was picked up by the North Koreans a short time later. Manchurian Candidate time, end of campaign two.

Third try, back to the F4U, back to the Oriskany. First mission this time, shot up during a strafing run by the 23mm in the target area. Glided as far south as I could but to no avail. POW again.

It seems like the 23mm guns are too dangerous. Granted I have been violating the One Pass, Haul Ass rule, but the fire from those guns seems much more accurate than anything else. The smaller and larger caliber guns don't bother me that much. I almost never get hit by the KS-19. In fact, I don't think I've been hit by that more than once - ever. The smaller MGs you can usually shrug off if you don't take too many hits or catch it in a bad spot.

I'm not looking for a cakewalk - where's the fun in that? - but damn, those 23mm crews are sharp.

Anyone else experience this?

No ZU-23's used in the Korean War so just delete them from your Groundobjects folder problem solved. You can replace them with Japanese 25mms though.

Ah, good to know. Not up on my ground order of battle.

if flying in the correct year span, you should be seeing a lot of

M-1939

ZIS-42

ZIS-Quads

the occasional KS-60

(OTH, if like me, your KAW mods folder is 'built' for a Hundred Year Span ™, you could potentially see everything the Reds had to throw at you)

things you wouldn't (and shouldn't see) in the 50-53 time frame are any ZPUs, ZSUs, BTR-23s, that cursed M113 ZPU & M113 ZU-23.

When I copy/pasted my SF2:NA folders to make the Korea folders, I just grabbed everything and deleted the non-period aircraft. I didn't even think about the ground objects.

Thanks for the info, Wrench.