Sign in to follow this  
MAKO69

Russian fighter to close to US plane

We had a similar situation back in April 2001 involving China. No one at the time even thought of a Cold War with China at the time so why should we even consider the idea of a Cold War with Russia. I know we have the Ukraine Crisis and the Syrian Civil War and that Russia may or may not be involved in these incidents, but let's take some time and think things through.

As an American who has briefly lived and worked in Russia (and who would love to return one day), I want to say how similar the politicians and media of both counties are.  Both nations are fed heavily one sided reports and articles by their respective societal leaders, while barely anyone bothers trying to view the incident from the other perspective.  We hear about Russians 'dangerously' intercepting our planes, while Russians hear about NATO exercises along their boarders.  Its time for a little empathy, people.    

• Like 1

10 ft? that's too close :|

usual thing

Normal operation of pilots )

Interception of aircraft in international airspace was a staple of the Cold War. However, even in international airspace, there are rules that are followed. One of the most important is the idea of 'well clear', a distance of 500 feet. Inside that distance, maneuvers need to be controlled and slow.

If you are doing wild acro maneuvers and closing to within 100 feet of an aircraft that isn't part of your formation in a peacetime situation. .you are being reckless, and are putting everyone at risk. And understand, you as the fighter are primarily responsible if you collide with the other aircraft. I guarantee if you eat a wingtip, it's because you were stupid. Large aircraft aren't interested in playing chicken because most of them don't have loud handles.

FC

CNN journalist was in a reconnaissance plane with a ruler and measure the distance to Russian interceptor! ))))))

You're right FastCargo that neither military would want a mid-air collision (especially in international airspace).  Its the language of journalism these days that gets to me.  A Russian Il-20 spying on NATO from international airspace is "aggressive Russian posturing," while an American RC-135 on a similar mission over the Black Sea is said to be "dangerously" intercepted by a Russian jet...  Our media and politicians always find a way to cast Russia in a poor and inaccurate light, relying on cliches and small snippets of the larger picture to portray its people as an "Other," whom we should fear. 

That being said, Russian media and politicians are depressingly guilty of the same sin... No one these days seem capable of seeing the situation from the other perspective.   

Now, having gone on my little rant)), does anyone know the type of fighter the Russians intercepted our spy plane with?  I know naval aviation started to deploy their new Su-30SMs to Crimea with this cool paint scheme:

http://russianplanes.net/id162789

We've seen lots of photos of Russian planes being intercepted by NATO fighters, but does anyone have pics of NATO planes being intercepted by their soviet/Russian counterpart?  They could be cool to see