I just posted the 1940 desert CR42 in First Eagles.  Late this year, or early next year, I'll develop a BoB version for SF2.

Shot below show testing of BoB camo colors.  Some of the Italian aircraft sent to Belgium were repainted in northern European colors, while others retained their Mediterranean colors - see second shot.

• Like 6

Great looking aircraft, thanks Geezer, she flies really well, and looks just right.

Templates would be great - there are quite a few different skins for this bird which could be done.

Couple of small bugs to report:

I found the lights a bit off. Fortunately Mue's new LODViewer makes finding these things easy, so make the following changes to position the lights:
[LeftLight]
SystemType=LIGHT
Position=-4.174,0.52,1.155
LightSrcOffset=-0.0,0.00,0.00
Color=0.88,0.25,0.25
Brightness=0.025
LightSrcRange=0.5
CanFlash=FALSE

[RightLight]
SystemType=LIGHT
Position=4.174,0.52,1.155
LightSrcOffset=0.00,0.00,0.00
Color=0.25,0.88,0.25
Brightness=0.025
LightSrcRange=0.5
CanFlash=FALSE

[TailLight]
SystemType=LIGHT
Position=0.0,-6.15,0.18
LightSrcOffset=0.00,0.00,0.00
Color=0.88,0.88,0.88
Brightness=0.04
LightSrcRange=0.3
CanFlash=FALSE

The MG shell ejection positions were way off, over on the left wing. The following changes makes them more central:

[Gun1]
EjectPosition=-0.20,0.55,-0.65

[Gun2]
EjectPosition=0.20,0.55,-0.65

And lastly, the model doesn't seem to have any bomb pylons under the wings, so if you load bombs they hang in the air, clear of the wings. I made the following change to get them closer to the wings:

[LeftBombRack]
AttachmentPosition=-1.94,-0.073,-0.330

[RightBombRack]
AttachmentPosition=1.94,-0.073,-0.330

Also, none of the cockpit gauges seem to work, not sure why.

Edited by Gatling20

The damage textures don't work - they are TGA files but I don't think that have any alpha channel in them.

post-33584-0-31350600-1434794384.jpg

Edited by Gatling20

Great looking aircraft, thanks Geezer, she flies really well, and looks just right.

Templates would be great - there are quite a few different skins for this bird which could be done.

Couple of small bugs to report:

Thanks!  I'll wait a bit to see if there are any more bugs, and then issue an update.

There ARE bomb racks, but they are part of the late-war CR42 which is still in-work.  Baffmeister wanted to tweak the FM a bit more for the SF2 version, so I'm making haste slowly.  1940 desert combat made it obvious biplane fighters were no longer competitive, so front line units began installing bomb racks as field mods in 1941.  The CR42 remained in production through 1942 as a ground attack machine, with bomb racks installed at the factory.

Shot of late-war machine below.  When released, it will also have a graphics pack.

index.php?app=gallery&module=images&sect

The damage textures don't work - they are TGA files but I don't think that have any alpha channel in them.

Oops!  Will fix that with an update.  This is my first time making damage TGA files.  Looks like I want to save them as 32bit files?

Also inwork is a selection of 1930s bombs for 1940 desert and Spanish Civil War.  Not done yet - gotta add Soviet bombs.

Edited by Geezer

Great work Geezer................Your mods ROCK! Thanks for all your ground objects also = GOOD STUFF

Great work Geezer................Your mods ROCK! Thanks for all your ground objects also = GOOD STUFF

Thanks.  There will also be a fair amount of crossover in 1940 ground objects.  I'll make a bunch of RAF airfield stuff for the 1940 desert mod, and then make BoB equivalents.  Shots below of scale models off the internet illustrate how the same ground object can have two different skins.

Progress shot of BoB camo, plus first stab at hi-res ground tiles.

post-39531-0-91332500-1441837658_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

More shots...

post-39531-0-85355900-1441850162_thumb.jpg

post-39531-0-55494500-1441850173_thumb.jpg

post-39531-0-78259200-1441850185_thumb.jpg

post-39531-0-93120900-1441850215_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

I wish we had the same terrain for SF2 !

The above map is Gterl's WW1 Italian Front map running in FE2, using Jan Tuma's 512x512 artwork (with occasional higher res art showing better furrows, fields, etc).  Desert shots below show really large experimental 2048x2048 artwork applied to SF2-sized ground tiles. The "problem" is SF and FE have different sized ground tiles. So artwork that looks pretty good in FE does not look so good in SF because it must be stretched across a ground tile sixteen times larger than the FE tile.

Larger artwork, such as the 2048x2048 desert art, looks like it is the only workable way to improve SF2 terrain at low altitude.  Assuming several dozen examples of 2048 art were to get made, the problem becomes one of frame rate performance.  Has anyone ever tried using 2048 art in a large SF map?

I am busy with lots of other stuff, but if someone was willing to make an experimental map I would be willing to donate a few 2048x2048 examples of desert art.

post-39531-0-24848100-1441984130_thumb.jpg

post-39531-0-33282600-1441984140_thumb.jpg

post-39531-0-51983200-1441984170_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

that Falco looks REALLY good!! The camo almost looks like Israeli 3-tone!!

for a real easy to retile terrain, as it has so few tiles, would be "The Range". I have a dedicated Terrain Editor to just that terrain; If you want it, I'll be glad to send it over!

that Falco looks REALLY good!! The camo almost looks like Israeli 3-tone!!

for a real easy to retile terrain, as it has so few tiles, would be "The Range". I have a dedicated Terrain Editor to just that terrain; If you want it, I'll be glad to send it over!

OK - send me everything you can.  I am already up to my eyeballs in work for Gterl's Spanish Civil War mod, but I'll tinker with the Range once in a while.  Gterl is making dynamite 1024 terrain art for Spain - sample below.

• Like 3

The camo almost looks like Israeli 3-tone!!

Shot below shows same colors used late-war in a kind of splinter camo.

I am already up to my eyeballs in work for Gterl's Spanish Civil War mod, but I'll tinker with the Range once in a while.  Gterl is making dynamite 1024 terrain art for Spain - sample below.

Very nice work, mate.  Regarding the new tiles shown in the screenshot, any chance they could be used in a SF terrain?  There is a Spain terrain in the SF2 download section, IIRC.  It could use a specific tileset like the one above, however as you said I'm worried about stretching issues, since generally SF terrains use a size of 2000 in the Terrain Editor, while FE's use a size of 500.

Very nice work, mate.  Regarding the new tiles shown in the screenshot, any chance they could be used in a SF terrain?  There is a Spain terrain in the SF2 download section, IIRC.  It could use a specific tileset like the one above, however as you said I'm worried about stretching issues, since generally SF terrains use a size of 2000 in the Terrain Editor, while FE's use a size of 500.

Thanks.  It will be a while before the Spanish Civil War mod is complete, but I assume Gterl would not object to someone borrowing his tile art.  Should ask him to be certain.  Meanwhile, I hope to tinker with 2048 size tile art for SF.  They won't look as good as FE tiles, but they should look a bit better than current SF tiles.

Thanks for the quick response, I'll be looking forward to this mod, it seems very promising and refreshing.

Thanks for the quick response, I'll be looking forward to this mod, it seems very promising and refreshing.

Gterl has not been able to work on the mod recently, but may resume work soon.  Meanwhile, I am working on ground objects.  You can track progress at the SCW thread:  http://combatace.com/topic/86464-spanish-civil-war/

Edited by Geezer

The above map is Gterl's WW1 Italian Front map running in FE2, using Jan Tuma's 512x512 artwork (with occasional higher res art showing better furrows, fields, etc).  Desert shots below show really large experimental 2048x2048 artwork applied to SF2-sized ground tiles. The "problem" is SF and FE have different sized ground tiles. So artwork that looks pretty good in FE does not look so good in SF because it must be stretched across a ground tile sixteen times larger than the FE tile.

Larger artwork, such as the 2048x2048 desert art, looks like it is the only workable way to improve SF2 terrain at low altitude.  Assuming several dozen examples of 2048 art were to get made, the problem becomes one of frame rate performance.  Has anyone ever tried using 2048 art in a large SF map?

I am busy with lots of other stuff, but if someone was willing to make an experimental map I would be willing to donate a few 2048x2048 examples of desert art.

Thank you for the info