Sign in to follow this  
Velo

[help] Texture Optimization Question

Hello everyone. I get a question about texture optimiztion when i make my jet model.

To clarify my question i draw a picture, which is put below.

All i want is make sure which texturing method can improve the computer performing when the texture file goes larger.

Case 1 use the same texture file, which is big one. May be 1024 or 2048. In case 1, when use the file twice to map each object (wing and flap) , is there only one texture file data in RAM? Even if the flap is small, it takes whole data calculating of the large texture, is that ture? Since it has to separate flaps or ailerons or refueling pipe to independent objects for interactive function, I am afraid it will increase consumption of calculation when such parts get more.

Case 2 use different but smaller texture files for each parts. However, the game has to load more file datas to RAM everytime.

May somebody tell me which texturing method can improve the computer performing. I gonna use files of 2048 size for my mod.

post-36141-0-75438800-1435327912.jpg

Edited by Velo

The three aircraft I have released so far employed both Case 1 and Case 2 textures.  The Case 1 textures were 2048, while the Case 2 textures varied in size.  Also, many of the textures were quite complex - multiple colors depicting intricate detail, as opposed to a few colors showing simple details.  There wasn't any noticeable impact on frame rates on my mid-level desktop, though an old, low-end machine might have problems.  Based on that, I suspect optimization is not a major issue unless you have a large number of big, complex textures?

Edited by Geezer
  • Like 1

if you map one mesh with say Texture1.jpeg        and another mesh with the same texture1.jpeg    the game uses the one jpeg it doesnt load it twice....thats why its better to use 1 texture for all parts of the model if you can....except glass or props for prop aircraft...

Agreed, when I started to do a map for a failed project I would map every bit as ONE texture, rather than adding the main parts on the map, and adding the bits.  Adding the bits and in the Case 1 format makes it easy for us texture artists as the parts are laid out better and makes texture work so much easier to accomplish...

Here's a good example of how it could look:

post-5735-0-95907600-1435354092_thumb.jpg

Edited by EricJ

I thought it may result in low performance when there are so many  objects like flaps, gears, gear doors, airbrakes, lights,etc.   Now, it is better to keep them as independent objects but use a large texture file to map them all, is it ?

Thanks for all of you!

Yep, even with more reliable and better performing PCs, laptops, the more you can fit on a template the less video RAM you use to render the texture in-game (which helps framerates too).  The Super Hornet above uses 3 2048 x 2048 textures, along with a 512 x 512 texture for the drop tank itself.  In comparison the DCS:W A-10A and A-10C use 12 2048 x 2048 textures and at least my laptop doesn't choke on them.  But again ti's a matter of getting as many parts on one 2D Texture map as possible and still manage to look good when in-game and textured.

Great!  THANKS!    I gonna use large ones  :D

I started to use the layout of the TK planes, and try to keep parts that are related in hirarchie on the same map. So I have wings, Fuselage and Wings and Nose.

What I see on the Hornet mapping is, you have wasted alot of space on the mapping :-/

Edited by 76.IAP-Blackbird