any jet should be so lucky to fly this long and with it's war record.. :)

Thank god I got to see and hear the A-6/KA-6 f and the EA-6B fly on numerous occasions. Those jokers were loud!

Maybe the Marines will get some spare parts freed up? Although I believe they are scheduled to start getting rid of their Prowler airframes in less than two years.

Now if the Navy can figure out how to fit a radar dish on top of an F-18, they will truly get their wish...a hornet only service with more money to throw at F-35 "testing".

Edited by ironroad

i fell in love with the A-6 (don't laugh!) after playing AND watching 'Flight of the Intruder', despite it's nose (or is it inspite of?) it's like an ugly child only a mother could, er, would love. :biggrin:

• Like 1

A proud career for that bird....yeah, I too fell in love with it after reading the FOTI novel, the movie and the game. The Blue Blasters and the Main Battery had some bad a$$ helmets also

Quite an ugly bird IMHO, but it has been an US Navy trademark for so long... Yet as long as I love everything F/A-18-looking, I won't complain for the change. Adios Prowler, good luck Growler!

i fell in love with the A-6 (don't laugh!) after playing AND watching 'Flight of the Intruder', despite it's nose (or is it inspite of?) it's like an ugly child only a mother could, er, would love. :biggrin:

I did not watch Flight Of The Intruder before loving this plane !

I wonder if the USAF has cross-trained any of its pilots into the E/F/A-18 community or shifted any crews to the USMC? When the EF-111 was retired they dumped some of those crews into Prowlers.

Also, anyone know what the Marines are going to do once they get rid of their EA-6Bs?

They have sworn-off any variant of the F-18E/F. If they get rid of their Prowlers that would leave the Marines without their own dedicated EW aircraft since the early 1950s.

Edited by ironroad

truly a legendary aircraft.

I was lucky enough to bag one trap (right seat) in a KA-6D on a tanker hop. Quite the experience.