Fates

Windows 10

OK.... Let's here about it.  Do you plan to upgrade?  

The official release is 7/29 and Microsoft is planning to upgrade 4 Billion Systems.....  4 Billion.  Wow.

I'm excited about the Xbox/PC interface and being able to play against consul users.  

Let's here your thoughts, opinions, disgusts, etc...... I haven't upgraded yet, and likely won't until it's been out for a few months.

I got those stupid notifications on Windows 7 months ago and they won't go away.

So is Mirco$oft shoving this one down or throats or up our rears?

Edited by ironroad
  • Like 1

I changed the HDD in my new Win 8.suck laptop and went back to Win 7/64. When the upgrade comes out I'm putting the 8.1 HDD back in, then I will check it out. I just have a bad feeling, because it's free. I'm guessing a time limit or something, maybe pay to make Adds. Go away? Will see.

Just checked out info on it and I was right, 1 Year time limit, then About $100.00. Didn't read it all, but my new laptop that came with the upgrade, that say is for life. I Have to check the version numbers of my Win 8. The old laptop is definitely not getting upgraded.

Edited by RAVEN

Not upgrading my main Win7 system, but have a rebuilt desktop and older laptop running the tech preview. Unlike Win8 will have no problem getting a new comp with Win10 when i'm in the market for one again. Reason for not upgrading is cause I like it how it is and when it's not my main comp any more it will stay a dedicsted SF2 rig.

Raven my understanding is a basic user will be free. All the add on will be subscription or part of the more advanced versions, Premium Enterprise etc

Edited by daddyairplanes

Personally, I'm not looking forward to having to deal with a whole bunch of console peasant scum ruining my cross-platform games. Some games are bad enough as it is without unleashing the hordes of unwashed console masses on us too...

• Like 1

If not broken, not fix it!

I'm excited about the Xbox/PC interface and being able to play against consul users.  

Last time they tried this, they decided to not release Halo 3 on PC...

I'm running the tech preview on my laptop that I was convinced was about to die. No issues at all after the upgrade and I like it very much. The interface is more Win 7 than 8 (or so I hear, since I don't have win 8) so it's not completely foreign. It's not hard to figure out where everything lives. I'm on the verge of moving the desktop over to 10 as well. Both of my computers were getting kludgy so it was time to do something anyway.

I have Win 8.1 on my desktop and I hate it. So far everything I have read about Win 10 is good so I am going to upgrade. Anything to get 8 off my computer.

Me too, I have no fear of using W10...
Well, we'll see how it handles.

Will probably test it on a separate HD - need all the hardware to actually work before I consider it.

• Like 1

Waiting for my reserved upgrade.

I will isolate the external backups, AFTER doing a full backup and BEFORE doing the upgrade.

If you don't see me log on after the upgrade......

I would rather of had Windows 7 on this desktop but it wasn't an option. So yeah Win 10 is going on my machine. 

Well, it's free for 12 months...so, I'll leave it 10 months..check what everyone reckons..and then decide :)

Windows 7 is fab...can't see the point in rushing to upgrade just yet

Edited by UK_Widowmaker

Mediocre so far. video display is not as good although the movies and photos are top notch. Cannot adjust pages and text or icons to best display. printer driver is not working, can't print.

most everything else seems to be working ok so far.

looking for the rollback to 7 option.......

I cannot post here from the computer, having to use a mobile device! can post elsewhere just fine.

the Wings series video seems to be screwed up somehow. bad bad bad

and........................

Back to Windows 7.  The rollback was easy. 

I would probably have put up with and worked through most of the issues - but the video quality was a killer.  The impact on my NVidia card was near catastrophic, it slowed down to a couple of generations ago. 

so back. 

Not again will I join the Windows Beta test team.

Typhoid, care to detail your problems ?

SF2 seems to work fine for everyone else so far, but you never detailed what your problems were.

Likewise when it comes to display, on one hand you say quality is bad, but pictures are great then blame quality and complain about performance... Could you care to elaborate and have you tried updating your GPU driver before doing the rollback ?

Windows 10 is working great for me. So glad to get rid of 8.1. For those that have 7, KEEP IT! DO NOT UPGRADE! There is nothing wrong with 7 10 is no benefit in my eyes. Now if you have 8.1 then yes upgrade.

• Like 2

staying with 7 then Dave, can't risk any incompatibilities with some older software and games I use

• Like 1

Typhoid, care to detail your problems ?

SF2 seems to work fine for everyone else so far, but you never detailed what your problems were.

Likewise when it comes to display, on one hand you say quality is bad, but pictures are great then blame quality and complain about performance... Could you care to elaborate and have you tried updating your GPU driver before doing the rollback ?

it trashed my printer. Wouldn't print despite a whole lot of effort to reload the driver. I finally got it to work and then it went "off-line" again for no apparent reason.

just focusing on the display -

The icon sizes and text on all the programs were too large and I couldn't adjust them down to the same size. I got block options that wouldn't let me adjust to where they needed to be.

so far - all workable and not a killer.

When I ran SF - the graphic settings had all been reset to low end. Ok, just reset them but couldn't reset to the highest screen setting that I had before. When I ran the program it was very choppy and slow. The previously smooth was gone.

At that point I just decided to Hell with it and stepped back. No, I didn't update the GPU driver because I had just done that a few days prior. (Pre-10) It didn't occur to me to reload that again. At that point, I was just pretty well fed up with it. When I loaded Windows 7 a few years ago, it automatically updated all the drivers and rather expected to see the same with Windows 10.

Rolling back was a snap although I had to reload my virus protection since I had loaded the 10 compatible version. \

The video card I have isn't the most modern and high end but it's not bad - nvidea GE Force 9600 and an I7 processor with 16gig mem.

Edited by Typhoid

Any one found a way of disabling the pop up?
I'm on 7 and have no intention of upgrading... the icon in my task bar was annoying enough but as of today I'm getting a periodic notice taking up the lower right quadrant of my screen.... 

Craig

Any one found a way of disabling the pop up?

I'm on 7 and have no intention of upgrading... the icon in my task bar was annoying enough but as of today I'm getting a periodic notice taking up the lower right quadrant of my screen.... 

Craig

right click on the task bar (at the bottom) and select "properties"

on the "task bar" tab select "customize" 

you can then configure all of the alerts per your likes and deselect the W10 icon.

• Like 1

I have W 10 now on my laptop.

All works well.

Better than original W 8, for me (quite easy to say.....).

P

PS: no SF installed there.