TeaAndScones

Any word on a new 'Strike Fighters 2' title?

Last one was 'North Atlantic' in 2012.

I want to believe otherwise, but it seems like TW has moved their priorities to Mobile Gaming.  Plus, the fact that the last update for SF2 was in July 2013, I'm finding this kinda sad.

Is this all because Mobile Gaming is more profitable that Simulators?  If that's the case, I honestly thought TW was better than that.

I have no problem with him expanding his horizons, but to completely disregard the fanbase he acquired, that have supported him since 2002, and to enter a market who have no appreciation for who TW is or what he did, seems like a slap in the face.

Maybe he's secretly working on one behind the scenes, but I seriously think he would have let us know by now.  Does anyone else know anything I'm missing perhaps?

On a side note, where would you want the next SF2 to take place?  I'd think something like the Falklands War would be cool.

AFAIR TK stated he abandoned the PC market some time last year. The reason isn't because mobile is more profitable, but because it is profitable, period... SF2 in general and SF2NA in particular were large investments - from the perspective of a company the size of TW - and I'm willing to bet they've not been recouped, worse TK ended up facing rising piracy - both of the games and the assets (aircraft models) - as well as rising criticism from the community for the direction he took trying to make SF2 more profitable (delayed expansions, locking down of content, hard wiring of settings etc...), even DLC didn't end up being as profitable as hoped.

I can't fault him for deciding to cut his losses, he gave us a lot in an era where flight simulators, especially hitting the right sweet spot, are few and far between.

It's just a pity there isn't enough of us to make his business model profitable.

Sure I'd love updates, expansions and an updated engine, but not at the cost of TK endangering his own financial situation (which apparently was the case at some point pre-SF2NA).

Maybe we can persuade him at some point to come back after he made enough money with low risk, low investment mobile projects or to sell/licence/abandon the source code (even though we lack the type (and number) of people to make it useful in the short term), but for the time being we're on our own with a tacit approval for community patches.

• Like 3

Look to your SF2 Version.ini ..  

[Version]
BuildDate=Jul 2013
StrikeFighters2=TRUE
StrikeFighters2 Vietnam=TRUE
StrikeFighters2 Europe=TRUE
StrikeFighters2 Israel=TRUE
StrikeFighters2 Exp1=TRUE
StrikeFighters2 Exp2=TRUE
StrikeFighters2 NorthAtlantic=TRUE
StrikeFighters2 Exp3=FALSE

was supposed to be out sometime after NA, and was rumored to have the Mirage F1.  Well, we all know how that went.

As i've said, first one here to win the lottery buys the rights and we make Project 3.

And this time Dhimar ditches the mercs and gets blackjack. And hookers

• Like 3

100 Run c:\ SF3,exe

200 Error

300 End of line.

AFAIR TK stated he abandoned the PC market some time last year. The reason isn't because mobile is more profitable, but because it is profitable, period... SF2 in general and SF2NA in particular were large investments - from the perspective of a company the size of TW - and I'm willing to bet they've not been recouped, worse TK ended up facing rising piracy - both of the games and the assets (aircraft models) - as well as rising criticism from the community for the direction he took trying to make SF2 more profitable (delayed expansions, locking down of content, hard wiring of settings etc...), even DLC didn't end up being as profitable as hoped.

I can't fault him for deciding to cut his losses, he gave us a lot in an era where flight simulators, especially hitting the right sweet spot, are few and far between.

It's just a pity there isn't enough of us to make his business model profitable.

Sure I'd love updates, expansions and an updated engine, but not at the cost of TK endangering his own financial situation (which apparently was the case at some point pre-SF2NA).

Maybe we can persuade him at some point to come back after he made enough money with low risk, low investment mobile projects or to sell/licence/abandon the source code (even though we lack the type (and number) of people to make it useful in the short term), but for the time being we're on our own with a tacit approval for community patches.

Very good summary of the situation

• Like 1

If ever there's another 'Strike Fighters' release I hope it'll be one with Modern 4.5th & 5th Generation fighter jets (F-14D, F-15E, F-16C/DE/F,  F-22, F-35, Eurofighter, Rafale, and the likes) as stock aircraft, add mid-air refueling, AWACS support, correct the thrust vectoring issue, add asupport for active radar/fire& forget missiles... and released for PC... 

Most of the above mentioned aircraft are released for the Android/ iOS version of SF and not PC... :angry: (not angry but annoyed)

While I know that the above aircraft are available as mods for SF2 and I still enjoy flying them.. Having a sim dedicated to 4.5th & 5th Gen aircraft....Now that would be mind-blowing...and even rival DCS

Mr. TK.. could you please consider..... I for one will purchase a copy if its released & i think many others will too...

Thank you very much...

EDIT: Whoops... Sorry...... didn't see the post regarding TK's financial situation..... but if the dream project in my post ever reaches fruition many faithful combat flight simmers (including myself) will be very, very, happy....

Edited by SkyStrike

If ever there's another 'Strike Fighters' release I hope it'll be one with Modern 4.5th & 5th Generation fighter jets (F-14D, F-15E, F-16C/DE/F,  F-22, F-35, Eurofighter, Rafale, and the likes) as stock aircraft, 

Sorry, I am not very interested by those planes

All the glamour of SF2 is "cold war" planes

• Like 2

^This.

Not like the cold war planes would be removed or anything.  There's nothing wrong with more options, is there?

I think if I were to put an upper limit on stock aircraft, it would end at 1989. Just enough to excuse AG radar and give the AI better smart bomb delivery. Plus that's still Cold War.

But that will never happen unless TK releases the source code or gets interested in PC again.

If we all got together with tools around we have or are rumoured to exist....we as a community could make our own new SF2 Title.....even SF3   ?...agreed?

• Like 4

If we all got together with tools around we have or are rumoured to exist....we as a community could make our own new SF2 Title.....even SF3   ?...agreed?

Strike Fighters 3:MacGyver

• Like 1

This ^

If ever there's another 'Strike Fighters' release I hope it'll be one with Modern 4.5th & 5th Generation fighter jets (F-14D, F-15E, F-16C/DE/F,  F-22, F-35, Eurofighter, Rafale, and the likes) as stock aircraft, add mid-air refueling, AWACS support, correct the thrust vectoring issue, add asupport for active radar/fire& forget missiles... and released for PC... 

Most of the above mentioned aircraft are released for the Android/ iOS version of SF and not PC... :angry: (not angry but annoyed)

While I know that the above aircraft are available as mods for SF2 and I still enjoy flying them.. Having a sim dedicated to 4.5th & 5th Gen aircraft....Now that would be mind-blowing...and even rival DCS

Mr. TK.. could you please consider..... I for one will purchase a copy if its released & i think many others will too...

Thank you very much...

EDIT: Whoops... Sorry...... didn't see the post regarding TK's financial situation..... but if the dream project in my post ever reaches fruition many faithful combat flight simmers (including myself) will be very, very, happy....

Apparently you haven't found the Downloads section, TK does some good work but really... TMF and others have done a real good job at representing current aircraft capabilities and not for us having to spend one red cent. So while I'm sure it's possible, community made stuff is where it's at.

• Like 1

Apparently you haven't found the Downloads section, TK does some good work but really... TMF and others have done a real good job at representing current aircraft capabilities and not for us having to spend one red cent. So while I'm sure it's possible, community made stuff is where it's at.

My Dear Sir,

I did clearly mention that I was aware of the 4.5th & 5th gen aircraft mods available in the downloads section and i'm that using the same on my merged SF2 installation and i enjoy them..(kindly refer my  quoted post below and please note the text in red)... And yes.. the efforts are commendable.... & I personally appreciate them and so do many others...

But the point I was trying to make is this: Since SF2 series are optimized for 3rd & 4th Gen combat Aircraft.. when 4.5th & 5th gen aircraft & weapons are added are added as mods..Sure they fly & perform well but limitations still do exist... e.g. Pitch linked Thrust vectoring in the F-22, when the vector nozzles get shot off by enemy gunfire the plane behaves very sluggishly even though the ailerons & elevators still appear to be in tact....Why? because due to sim limitations the thrust vectoring nozzles of 5th gen aircraft mods like the F-22 are mapped as flight control surfaces in the flight model .ini's......

So limitations do exist... What I  was trying to say that these issues would be greatly minimized an even non-existent in a dedicated 4.5th / 5 gen combat aircraft sim with stock 4.5th & 5th gen aircraft..... and it would be just super awesome if such a sim did exist... till then we will have to make do with add-ons...

Thank you very much...

kindly refer my  quoted post above and please note the text in red

To the modders: Please don't be offended.. Your efforts are really commendable & I really appreciate & thank you in all sincerity for your work & dedication... its just that i wish game/simulation developers would see your efforts and consider developing a modern jet combat flight sim with stock 4.5th & 5th gen combat aircraft... 

Edited by SkyStrike

Well new (modern) SF titles only from our community i guess. 

As long as there's an F-14 Tomcat i'm happy! :biggrin:

As long as there's an F-14 Tomcat i'm happy! :biggrin:

Somehow F-14 is still old fart.

My Dear Sir,

I did clearly mention that I was aware of the 4.5th & 5th gen aircraft mods available in the downloads section and i'm that using the same on my merged SF2 installation and i enjoy them..(kindly refer my  quoted post below and please note the text in red)... And yes.. the efforts are commendable.... & I personally appreciate them and so do many others...

But the point I was trying to make is this: Since SF2 series are optimized for 3rd & 4th Gen combat Aircraft.. when 4.5th & 5th gen aircraft & weapons are added are added as mods..Sure they fly & perform well but limitations still do exist... e.g. Pitch linked Thrust vectoring in the F-22, when the vector nozzles get shot off by enemy gunfire the plane behaves very sluggishly even though the ailerons & elevators still appear to be in tact....Why? because due to sim limitations the thrust vectoring nozzles of 5th gen aircraft mods like the F-22 are mapped as flight control surfaces in the flight model .ini's......

So limitations do exist... What I  was trying to say that these issues would be greatly minimized an even non-existent in a dedicated 4.5th / 5 gen combat aircraft sim with stock 4.5th & 5th gen aircraft..... and it would be just super awesome if such a sim did exist... till then we will have to make do with add-ons...

kindly refer my  quoted post above and please note the text in red

To the modders: Please don't be offended.. Your efforts are really commendable & I really appreciate & thank you in all sincerity for your work & dedication... its just that i wish game/simulation developers would see your efforts and consider developing a modern jet combat flight sim with stock 4.5th & 5th gen combat aircraft... 

Well, my point is that why should TK bother when the community has already made them given engine limits.  And if anything we'd only improve the existing aircraft with the updated engine.

BTW, while it may be  clearly defined that I don't have a MODDER tag like everybody else, rest assured I am one too.

Edited by EricJ

The point is that if TW releases SF3 containing aircraft alerady existing as 3rd party, there is no interest for us, if TW releases SF3 as a "tool box" for modders, this will not attract new comers.

As a lot of people said before,TK's problems are probably financial frustrations where he did not make as much money as expected on the PC platform.The mobile market is actually a little bit better at that.Again,SF2 has covered most of the major high intensity conflicts of the cold war era so maybe there's not much left to expand upon.As with the 5th gen air combat,SF2 was made as a "lite-sim". Most of the fun came from dogfights and the gunkills.A BVR focused SF2 in my opinion will be no different than the mobile version.On the other hand,making a third gen SF3 will require heavy investment and face stiff competition from current Hi Fi sims such as DCS,Il2 etc.Lets face it....TK won't be making any new content other than the small " quick money" dlcs which are mostly unrelated to the conflicts presented in game.Modding is the only way forward.

• Like 2

I hope TK will come with new SF2 evolution because his PC game joins together a very nice community!!! :drinks:

Edited by Coupi
  • Like 2

The point is that if TW releases SF3 containing aircraft alerady existing as 3rd party, there is no interest for us, if TW releases SF3 as a "tool box" for modders, this will not attract new comers.

Exactly, and more often than not devs make planes we may not be interested in the first place so it has to be a "tool box" for us.

Easiest thing to do would probably just be to release the "tool box" for Sf2 itself so that the limitations we have now can be bypassed.

Like MFDs and the apparent difficulty in coding them.