Sign in to follow this  

It's probably just me...

But lately my carrier landings have sucked.

Everything seems fine and I've stopped OK, then the plane starts spinning in place on all three axes on the deck until it explodes.

Sometimes I land fine, sometimes I get the post-trap departure.

I don't think I am doing anything different, but probably am.

It's frustrating because I used to be really good at getting the Tomcat on deck.

Hmm, I've not had any of these issues.

I suppose a question would be, are you using the TW F-14, or TMF F-14?  That may help.  I probably won't be tho. :(

Could be a carrier issue as well...

Bone stock.  Had the issue before I did the fuel tank bug fix and seat change and did the skins mod.

I think I'm out of some important parameter and not noticing.

Sometimes I'm fine, sometimes I'm dead.  When I figure out what I'm doing wrong, I'll slap my forehead and go, "DOH".

For the longest time I couldn't land an F-8 either.  Always came in too low.

It's probably just me...

But lately my carrier landings have sucked.

Everything seems fine and I've stopped OK, then the plane starts spinning in place on all three axes on the deck until it explodes.

Sometimes I land fine, sometimes I get the post-trap departure.

I don't think I am doing anything different, but probably am.

It's frustrating because I used to be really good at getting the Tomcat on deck.

Hello Z09SS,

Maybe this old thread below might be of help with the F-14, see post # 10 :

http://combatace.com/topic/79803-carrier-landings-in-sf2-atlantic/

That method works consistently.

Notice that the AoA indicator shows nose-up/slow-down and the ILS shows way high?

I guess the game be broke.

I'll try to remember to take a screen shot of a couple of my fails.

Figured out what I was doing wrong.  nose-down/speed-up arrow indicated and I always sped up.

I was hitting the deck with over 10 degrees nose up and what was happening is when I grabbed the wire it was slamming the plane down into the deck.

Thanks Boresight for giving me that link so that I could get systematic about my sight picture and what the instruments were reading.

Figured out what I was doing wrong.  nose-down/speed-up arrow indicated and I always sped up.

I was hitting the deck with over 10 degrees nose up and what was happening is when I grabbed the wire it was slamming the plane down into the deck.

Thanks Boresight for giving me that link so that I could get systematic about my sight picture and what the instruments were reading.

Hello Z09SS,

You're welcome, glad I could help.

From what you describe, even with the nose up over 10 degrees, your vertical velocity (descent rate), was still very high... meaning, you were probably very near of a " STALL " - the aircraft is more falling from the sky, then flying.

Hence the AoA "advice light" to speed up, so the aircraft can start to get some lift, and not fall so quick.

Although I might be mistaken, I Imagine that the effects you mention : " then the plane starts spinning in place on all three axes on the deck until it explodes... " is the game featuring a crash landing mishap, in the kind of slamming an aircraft too hard on to the carrier deck.

I get this on F-4 as well, whenever landing in a too nose high attitude, the ac bounces back and forth until catastrophe... Probably some weird interactions between the nose gear, main gear and arresting hook.

Reduce AoA then all is well.