Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ranger332

Grid coordenance?

Guest Ranger332

is there any way we can get a way to referance positions on the map

this maps in the game look worse the the CIA maps of Saudie Advance parties of the Army were issued

These maps need major help huh?

I thought I was only being picky about it, but it's good to hear others feel the same.

Both the single player and MP maps need grids mapped out better, it would make for much better planning and execution of missions

The map reminds me of the old Atari fighter games. What we need is a black & white map with grids and locations of known objects (such as towns, airbase's, ports, etc.).

Agreed, i have one airbase grid location, and thats the one that Ranger included in that mission template he gave me and Rogue to fool around with, other wise its impossible.

Other question, could we make different maps? i mean change the land/water tiles etc... say for like a campaign that is completely land locked? or the water plays a small role because its not near enough to the target area?

Hey guys! Interesting post and something that I've pondered for awhile. Here's the dilemma. Obviously the planning map is just a bmp and not extremely accurate but close. Now the in flight map pulls from the actual tiles and gameworld loaded. So in order to see a grid, you would have to have it in the tileset. Now that would look like hell. At that point you'd havethe grid layed over you terrain and you wouldn't need the map... :lol:

But I agree this is something that needs to be investigated. I'll play around w/ a few things.

Oh Keller, different maps can be built but with out the terrain editor that is rumored to be released at some point, you would have to place the tiles one by one through a hex editor and I believe it's something like 250,000 tiles.

Here's an image that might help some. I was bored one night a did it.

http://dzeng.ecorp.net/files/planningmap_wbases.jpg

Easy Keller....people might start talking :D

Now lets consider something. Possibly a start... maybe nothing. Here's a little glimpse inside my head ..oh sorry thought I heard and echo.

I was thinking one night that when you turn on the debug, you get coord's..nearest base...etc. This is text information that is pretty ugly in at the top of your screen. It's obviously pulling that info from somewhere. What if the text , well some of it, could be called, resized, even colored and displayed in the HUD. Kinda scary but completely useful no?

Thoughts?

Deuce not that I know anything about how to do anything but make big holes in the ground. There must be a line of code or something somewhere that pull the texture files in to make the map like you said it does. Couldn't a overlay be done with cites, bases and such and added to that line. Then when it brings them in for the map it brings the overlay in also. Just an idea. :?:

Guest Ranger332

try to check out how novalogic did it in F-22 works well there

how do i get that debug thing up and running? i might spend some time tonight writing down coordinates. :D

I FOUND IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ok, to find the big list, go to your strike fighters terrain folder, go into desert, get ur extractor on the desert.cat file, go down till you see the DESERT_TARGETS.ini

it has the grid coordinates of all the cities and airbases, along with their target radius, and the coordinates of the targets within the radius.

HAVE FUN!!

oh, oen more thing, when making the missions, and you want to start on the ground, in the .msn file, go down to the first [MissionData] section, now this is how it should look

[MissionData]

FriendlyAirActivity=1

EnemyAirActivity=1

PlayerMissionID=1

PlayerPositionID=1

MissionNumber=5123

AdjustStartPoint=FALSE

AdjustBaseWaypoint=TRUE

then, when placing your aircraft on the runway, for example this is D2

[AircraftMission001]

AircraftType=F-4E

Name=SHOWTIME

FormationType=USFighter

Size=6

RandomChance=100

MissionType=CAS

MissionSubType=CAS_DEFENSIVE

ObjectiveID=2

RatingForSuccess=100

StartOnGround=TRUE

Position=251000.000,761000.000,121

Heading=180.0

Speed=0.0

Alignment=FRIENDLY

Loadout=STRIKE

height should be 121, otherwise you boucne and your wingmen blow up into tiny pieces.

Cheers! have fun with your missions :)

The link Deuces posted is sort of a test version of a graphical mission planner utility I have been working on. It's useful, but still requires some manual editing to make a mission file with the data. Anyone is welcome to use it as a tool to build missions. If you click the 'Targets' button first, it will plot the locations of all the cities and airfield in the desert_targets.ini file. You can then zoom in for a closer look.

I do have plans for adding some additional functionality to it. I have been experimenting with importing mission files. I can parse a .msn file and I'm close to being able to display the units and waypoints from the file.

The main problem is that while you're in the game, the only map you have access to does not show this information and I really don't see a way to program it into the game other than as additional waypoints.

So, what you could do is build a mission where the main set of waypoints leads you to the target and back to your primary airbase. You could then add additional waypoints to secondary airfields to use in an emergency. While in-flight, you use the 'W' key to advance the waypoints until the waypoint you want to go to is showing. Not perfect, but this might work.[/i]

Guest Ranger332

never thought Id say this but heres what is done in F-22

shots017.jpg

shots016.jpg

this is what you see on the map

shots007.jpg

they eather colored the line in to match the terraine or something else but the map is simple and fully functional it auto scrolls and can be zoomed

Guest Ranger332

for those that dident upload it from the site here

planningmap_wbases.jpg

Sal if you could take the map with base's and such. Load it into you editor and bam....we have a great start. :D

Dirtman, He has all of the bases labeled and thier coord. Just click the targets button and zoom in. I think thats what your looking for.

It is possible to import your own targets.ini file, so if you want to change the names of the cities, it will be reflected on the mapdisplay. As it stands right now, the file has to be parsed and reformatted so that the program can recognize the variables. I will post links to the parser and to a version of the program you can download and run off your own hard drives. You must have Flash 6 plugin for your browser.

Keep in mind that this is an experimental program and I'm not promising that everything will work flawlessly. I made it as a tool to help me build missions, whether or not anyone else can get some use from is simply a side benefit.

Hey Sal_, from one Flasher to another any chance at a copy of your Flash source file?