KJakker

F-106 aircraft and cockpit MAX file question.

I have been playing around with the F-106 again due to dtmdragon's new "F-106A Delta Dart in Vietnam (What if)" mod. It got me wondering. Does anyone have the MAX file for the "F-106A.LOD" and the "F-106_Pit.LOD"?

On the one hand, I was thinking about possibly fixing the issue with the automatic doors when launching missiles. However the thing that I am really interested in is making an alternate cockpit with the Project Six Shooter canopy.

In fact using Mue's LODViewer I was able to make the top bar of the "CanopyFrame" node transparent by editing a copy of the "F-106_Frames.bmp" file and then making saving it in TGA format. The LODViewer does not care about the format as long as the file names match. However the F-106_Pit.LOD has Material ID 1 set to a BMP format so the modified TGA file is not used by the game in flight.

post-56847-0-83982300-1438021698_thumb.jpg

post-56847-0-32016500-1438021713_thumb.jpg

post-56847-0-51457300-1438021854_thumb.jpg post-56847-0-34717600-1438021778_thumb.jpg post-56847-0-32533300-1438021767_thumb.jpg post-56847-0-18201300-1438021998_thumb.jpg

post-56847-0-42510100-1438022321.jpg post-56847-0-14634600-1438023773_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

create a copy of the cockpit lod for safety. put is storage

open cockpit lod with a hex editor, locate (search) for the image name in question, rewrite the file extension name, save.

with luck, the lod will recognize the new format, and it will work.

I've never tried this personally, but ... ????

---

nobody has seen pasko for nearly 8 years (or more!). it's doubtful we'll ever get (legal) access to the MAX files. There's a butt load of his work that needs some major overhauling (to be rid of open meshes that create decal bleeds, and other animation fixes -- like on the Horton wing)

Can you please post an in-game screen shot of the F-106A with the canopy frame removed (made invisable)?

Cheers,

Dan

Wrench's suggestion did work, I switched it from a bmp to a tga file. However no joy on turning the canopy frame transparent. I think something has to be set in MAX for that to work.

probably the material assigned in MAX. Which is, unfortunately not accessable without the max file.

well, ya tried!

does point out the need for an new model Six.  B model as well.......

• Like 2

Transparency has to be set in Max prior to export as a .lod even though the game uses the Alpha channel of a .tga to set the amount of said transparency. If ya look at a .out file at the assigned materials list. The entry ' Transparency Enabled' will be there for canopies. (Or should be).

pasko never included the OUT files, unfortunately

Last thing you can do is to remove canopy. And add new one via fakepilot. It is not perfect but only way for now.

...until someone will do new Six family.

I was thinking about the F-106 for a long time. 

I contacted Pasko a long time ago. he did a quick F-106B for me,

but he did not share his source. I sended him an mail some days ago, but ne response yet.

Another option will be a new model.

I looked @ turbosquit and found these:

http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/convair-f-106-3d-model/915032

http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/convair-f-106-max/915034

Due to the fact that I´m not a 3D guy i can´t say if these models are good....

It says "It is not game ready and are NOT to be used for Flight Simulations. Usage in other game applications is permitted", what a w@@@@r

Just a suggestion there is the freeware alphasim 106 too....

Edited by colmack

there may be something happening along this front. be paitent

• Like 6