Sign in to follow this  
navychief

My gaming room setup.

Hey all,

I thought folks might be interested to see how my gaming room is coming along. My room is 15 1/2' L by 12 1/2' W. I recently had my house resided, and had enough insulation board to completely cover the walls of my gaming room to insulate the sound. Then I bought about 5 dark blue King-size bedsheets for material to cover the sound insulation. Believe me, the room is very dark! Except for the white ceiling (which I plan to paint dark), the room is perfect for gaming and watching DVDs.

I added a moderately priced surround sound system.

About 3 months ago, I bought a BenQ DLP projector, and a 100" diagonal pull-down screen. The resolution is 1024 by 678, and is amazing!!!!!

Some months ago I built a plywood simpit from plans I got free off the internet. It is called a Akers-Barnes simpit design. Believe me, if I can build it, ANYONE can. Took me about three days, as I took my time. Hardest part was measuring and cutting it out.

Lastly, I bought the TrackIR3, Voice Buddy, and Force Feedback Headphones. They are, in a word, awesome!

I am quite satisfied with the way things have turned out. I took my time, and the end results are worth it!

See y'all in the skies!!!

GO NAVY.

Navy Chief

post-169-1117310391_thumb.jpg

post-169-1117310426_thumb.jpg

post-169-1117310450_thumb.jpg

Its good to be the chief :)!

Cheers

Beer

Hey Beer!

I don't recognize 3/4 of the names posted on here now. Where the "H" has everyone gone to?????

Btw, how is your video coming along, or did you release it and I missed it?

NC

wow! really nice job on that, NC. Been waiting to see what that finally looks like! I can't wait till I've got my own room like that :biggrin:

Edited by PG_Raptor

Wow! Nice set up Chief! Too bad you're not a bit closer to Ohio or I'd come by to try it out, lol! :victory:

Hey Chief, that looks fantastic. :biggrin: Soon as the wife gets through re-modeling the house...sob, I may try a go at something similar. Got any more pics?? I'd like to study every detail possible if ya get some time.

Hey Chief, that looks fantastic.  :biggrin: Soon as the wife gets through re-modeling the house...sob, I may try a go at something similar. Got any more pics?? I'd like to study every detail possible if ya get some time.

Hey Boltz,

I will gladly take some more pictures, and closeups too, if you want. The simpit plans are found at:

http://www.62ndfightingfalcons.asn.au/62nd...oad_cockpit.htm

My projector is a BenQ PB2240

Let me know if you need more assistance. No problem.

Navy Chief

Looks great Chief. Wish I had the time or the money to put into something like that. Maybe in the future. How's that projector working out for ya.

Looks great Chief. Wish I had the time or the money to put into something like that. Maybe in the future. How's that projector working out for ya.

Hey Chaingun,

The DLP projector resolution is unbelievably clear! It is every bit as clear as my 19" monitor was, but better! Seriously. I wish I had done this before now; but the technology has improved greatly in the past couple of years.

I did my research before buying my projector. The other type is a LCD, and in my opinion, DLP projectors win out.

NC

I recommend the BenQ brand a lot!!! Great customer service too.

How much are replacement bulbs for the Benq?

The Jedi Master

How much are replacement bulbs for the Benq?

The Jedi Master

The replacement lamp for the BenQ PB 2240 (BenQ 59J9401CG1) is about $400.

Before you start choking after reading that price, you have to realize that the lifespan of the bulbs is close to 3000 hours.

BenQ has a unique option on their projectors, where you can choose between different settings of brightness. For instance, they suggest a "Vivid" setting for DVDs. I use the "Economic" setting for my gaming. It provides plenty of illumination, yet allows for extended lifespan of the lamp.

Navy Chief

The reason I asked is I knew someone who bought a Sharp projector in the late 90's. Bulbs for it cost $350.

When he first got it they were burning out every other MONTH. After the 2nd one died, he took it in for servicing at least 3 times before the morons figured out it had a bad power unit that kept blowing the bulb. They did refund him SOME of the money he spent on bulbs, plus gave him a spare for free, but it still cost him a good $700 or so in wasted bulbs! :shok:

Obviously it was defective from the start, though, and you've had yours for some time now so you're probably safe. :victory:

The Jedi Master

Hey Jedi,

I was likewise concerned about such things, but I really did do a lot of reading on the different brands.

BenQ truly has fine products, and their customer service is extremely efficient.

Navy Chief

Nice looking office Chief. I cant wait to get back to the States and into a house of my own again. I plan on taking the basement as my own and doing something similiar.

Storm

Basement?? Hmph! In Florida, we don't have "basements"...that would be an underground swimming pool! :)

We don't have attics, either! Too hot and the roofs are too low anyway. All we have is the rooms inside and we LIKE it!

I'm sure in the past 7 years projectors have indeed improved. I would've considered one for my main room except I have a ceiling fan I can't do without and nowhere else to mount one. So, 65" rear projection for me! As for the PC, I share an office with the wife's home office, so that's totally out of the question. ;)

The Jedi Master

I wonder if the wife would let me turn my computer room into something like that.....

Hey honey....

What? Not a snowballs chance in hell?

Thanks dear...

Ive been away from the site since Sept of last year... and it has changed owners....

Somebody should fill me in with the details...  I even needed to reregister  :lol:

Nice to see you back :)

Lots of old regulars but also lots of new faces now :)

Once I get broadband again this October, I am sure I'll get back into flying SFP1 again. I don't get the joy of flying either it, or WOV on dialup. Actually, I haven't even attempted it.

I do, however, spend most of my time with FS2004. Even online, it works ok. My past experiences with online play with SFP1 were not good. And I had DSL then too.

Navy Chief

What BUFF said... it's nice to see some of the old timers returning. You here to stay MrMudd, or do we have to tie you up to keep you here? :lol:

Heya MrMudd! How ya been?

And where did you hide the Diceman? :grin:

Mistah Snapple!

Jason, howyabeen?

How's school?

Am doing fine here in TN. Living the good life to be sure.

Pete

Hiya Chief, Im still floating around too. Got a kick outta that game room setup of yours. Gave me a few ideas, hehe. Hope all is well with you and yours. :grin: