Stock shaders

post-70825-0-65160900-1439307562_thumb.jpg

ReShadeFX shaders

post-70825-0-41704000-1439307576_thumb.jpg

Stock shaders

post-70825-0-98303600-1439307594_thumb.jpg

ReShadeFX shaders

post-70825-0-07490800-1439307615_thumb.jpg

ReShadeFX is a sort of SweetFX, actually it's SweetFX plus many other special effects.  It is easier to install since it comes with a framework/graphical user interface, so it's very easy to use; it allows to create and share presets and to choose the rendering mode (OpenGL, DirectX9 or 10, etc.) for each particular game executable, among other things.  Unlike SweetFX, where you have to copy various files to your mod folders, ReShade automatically adds all the relevant files to the main Strike Fighters 2 directory, then it loads it regardless of the fact that you are running a mod or the stock game.  If you want to know more about it and/or download it, this is the link: http://reshade.me

PS: Comparison shots above were made with my (pretty bad) preset.  Those who have better eyes than mine can, of course, create better presets.

yeah I never got it working, but there is much more to it apparently

yeah I never got it working, but there is much more to it apparently

Stary, are you talking about ReShade?  Because in fact it took me a while to figure out how to make it work, it's pretty easy with the latest package available at the site, you select the mod executable (for instance StrikeFighters2 Europe.exe) then you can either choice DirectX 9 or DirectX10/11 rendering modes, both work very well, but the DirectX 10 option enables more effects, and they work even when you are not using stock ThirdWire DirectX 10 shaders (meaning you have the effects at the game's menu not set to Unlimited)

I've tried these.  They work for me, but KILL my framerates for some reason.  What settings are you using?

Well, actually my preset does kill some framerates (not many though), because I have a very weak video card.  If you guys are interested, I might post a download for my preset, I can share the preset with no problem.  Anyway these are the options that are currently enabled in my preset:

CURVES - SweetFX

FILMICPASS - SweetFX

FILMGRAIN - SweetFX

ADAPTIVESHARPEN - CustomFX

HDR - SweetFX

WATCHDOGS_TONEMAP - CustomFX

GAUSS - CustomFX

yes the REShade but it's been in March or so when I tried. Didn't pay much attention to getting it working though, might try again

Hmmmm...tried the latest version and I get a CTD.  Odd...I tried earlier versions and it worked.

yes the REShade but it's been in March or so when I tried. Didn't pay much attention to getting it working though, might try again

If you can, I'd suggest trying it, they have done lots of improvements since the old beta versions.  You can even use a new screenshot feature with the software, you can select a .jpeg and so you can have a quick preview of the preset settings being applied to the image, the result is pretty close to what it's going to be ingame.

Hmmmm...tried the latest version and I get a CTD.  Odd...I tried earlier versions and it worked.

Strange, but I had some problems with old presets, they won't work on the new and latest package, you have to create new presets using Mediator.exe. Moreover, try it with both DirectX9 and DirectX10 modes.

EDIT: I've attached my (not so great) preset.  Try if it works.

StrikeFighters.zip

Edited by blaze95
  • Like 1

ohh well might give it a try

Nope, still crashes for me.  Tried DX9 and 10.  Tried manual install and the Mediator thingie.  Did you put the DLLs in any other folder besides the one the StrikeFighters2.exe was located in?  Do you have AA disabled?  Maybe I just have bad luck.   :)

Make sure you have removed all ReShade files from both your mod folders and Strike Fighters 2, with the latest version of ReShade no manual install is needed, then use the Mediator, it automatically adds the relevant files to the main directory of the game executable.  Regarding AA, I have it set to 2, while by default it is set by ThirdWire to 4.

ok, how do you launch this thing anyway? Through mediator? I see no apply to app button?

Yep, use the Mediator, now I'll try to explain how to use it:

1) Click on 'Add' and select the game executable (even the one you renamed for your mod, anyway you only need one, then the effect is applied to Strike Fighters 2 as a whole).  

2) Then select either 'Direct3D 9' or 'Direct3D 10' (10 is better if you want more effects to work accordingly) and then press on Update.

3) Click on the 'Browse' button which is next to 'PresetFolderLocation' and select the following folder inside the ReShade Framework;  ...\ReShade\PersonalFiles\Presets  (this is where your presets will be, in case you want to zip and share them, here you can try to install the preset I attached in the post above)

4) Above 'PresetName' and next to 'Delete' button there is a void box, select 'DefaultPreset' for the time being, then change 'PresetName' to whatever you like and click on 'Add'.

5) There you go, now you can edit your preset.

6) Remember to click on 'Update' each time you mod a preset, you'll see the button instead of 'Add' (check step 4 above).  

7) Click on 'Permanent Push To Application' and then on 'Apply', which is on the upper right corner (you'll see the following buttons 'Apply', 'Reset' and 'Offline Preview').

8) Close the Mediator and run the game.  I hope it works.

• Like 1

finally got it working and it's a blast for me :clapping:

how does one export the settings for sharing with others?

If you followed the steps I described above, you should find the saved preset in a folder with the name that you chose, the folder is located in ...\ReShade\PersonalFiles\Presets

Compress the folder and then redistribute it; check the one I've attached at post #8, that is my preset.  So follow steps #3 and #4 (#4 only for the preset selection, you can select all the presets you have already)

I know it's an old topic, but I've just installed the newest version of ReshadeFX and it does not work for me. I try to use this preset: https://sfx.thelazy.net/games/preset/10236/ and all that I get is a CTD at startup. I'm using latest Nvidia drivers (I don't want to use the old ones) so my effects settings are set as "high".

Edited by kblomkvist

3 hours ago, kblomkvist said:

I know it's an old topic, but I've just installed the newest version of ReshadeFX and it does not work for me. I try to use this preset: https://sfx.thelazy.net/games/preset/10236/ and all that I get is a CTD at startup. I'm using latest Nvidia drivers (I don't want to use the old ones) so my effects settings are set as "high".

I wish I could help, but when I created this thread (ages ago), Reshade used to be way different! So, I guess you are on your own testing this.

My word of advise; why are you using a preset for Ace Combat 7? Presets are made for specific games and engines. You'd find that such changes work well on Ace Combat 7's game engine (which is Unreal Engine 4 + trueSKY technology), but not on a completely different game! It's better to create your own preset for SF2, it should not be difficult. Moreover, the AC7 preset might be referencing certain third-party effects of the latest Reshade version, which make the old SF2 crash. On top of that, presets are made to use different DirectX versions, AFAIK. Ace Combat 7 is a DirectX 11 game. Strike Fighters 2 is mostly DirectX 9, with DirectX 10 shaders being used only when Effects are set to Unlimited (hence why the game crashes with latest Nvidia drivers, BTW).

Edited by Menrva

All this is is extra bloom, contrast filter and color correction filter. IMO all these external filters do is make everything look cartoonier, with exaggerated blacks and whites. And it doesn't adress the core issue of why stock Strike Fighters looks bland, which is non-optimized light settings and quite frankly subpar texture work on a lot of 3rd party assets (a lot of people here obsess over rivet placement but totally ignore concepts like ambient occlusion that really work towards adding depth to a scene).

• Like 1