Does anyone use this, and what are your results? Do I still need it on Win7X64? The latest version is for XP, would it work?

Last time I tried (on Win7 x64) it wouldn't work, I installed everything it needed, yet the program failed to initialize saying I didn't have a SAPI 5 speech engine installed, or something like that.

I have Shoot installed and working on Win 7 64-bit.

I use it for DCS.

Sometimes it glitches and it can only be fixed by closing the program and restarting, but for the most part it works well.

A key aspect of this software is that it uses a very old version of .net, so you have to install the old version and use a special config file to make it work.

The config file can be generated by .net which has some sort of backwards compatibility tool, but I provided my copy to the Shoot people, so I think they are still hosting it.

The support forums for Shoot go over all of this, but they are long and confusing after all of these years.

Some people who once used Shoot have gone on to more modern payware that works as well or better without having to install ancient versions of .net.

I was going to do so myself, but after years of not using Shoot at all, I tried it again and found on my latest PC.

It rarely glitches at and is working well with DCS.

I use it to make and respond to radio calls, very immersive!

• Like 1

Romflyer, I once used your package, did everything you described to do, but on my Win7 x64 system it didn't work, it gave me the problem I described in the post above.  Could it be that SHOOT! only works on an English Win OS?  Now I have Win 10, I might re-try and post any result here.  I'd really like to make it work, this software is a nice freeware alternative to many other softwares.

I've just tried on Win 10, I encountered the same problem.  The program doesn't initialize and shows me the following error message:

There was an error initializing the speech recognition engine (0x80004005).

Make sure you have correctly installed a SAPI 5.1-compatible speech recognition engine.

Shoot will now quit.

I've tried everything to solve it, I made sure to install everything that was necessary, including the old version of .NET Framework.  I really have no idea why this happens.

I've just tried on Win 10, I encountered the same problem.  The program doesn't initialize and shows me the following error message:

There was an error initializing the speech recognition engine (0x80004005).

Make sure you have correctly installed a SAPI 5.1-compatible speech recognition engine.

Shoot will now quit.

I've tried everything to solve it, I made sure to install everything that was necessary, including the old version of .NET Framework.  I really have no idea why this happens.

Hey Blaze

Not sure about W10 but I have it running smoothly in W7

As I stated earlier you need to use the updated exe

shoot20exe.zip

Edit:

I just went back re-read your post and perhaps a non English version of windows could be the cause..??

But if you haven't tried the shoot2.0exe then it definitely wont work

Edited by Romflyer

I already tried with the updated exe, so I think the cause may be a non English version of Windows, like mine.  Damn, what a pity!   Anyway thanks for all the help Romflyer.

Edited by blaze95