Hi, I get problem in specular map.

I have search and read topics in forum, including the one below, but game still can not be displayed my specular map for my jet. 

http://combatace.com/topic/85113-help-with-specular-and-bump-maps/

For testing, i make a specular map file with black number to observation. It is a JPG file. See it below.

post-36141-0-26823900-1439712686.jpg

and, it can not be displayed in the game 

post-36141-0-04448900-1439712712.jpg

This is my work process. Could someone tell me what s wrong ?

post-36141-0-55801400-1439712724_thumb.jpg

many thanks.

Try unticking the  "Specular Level" entries and leave only the Specular Color" ones.  I see no other reason that the specular map should not show up in-game.

Try unticking the  "Specular Level" entries and leave only the Specular Color" ones.  I see no other reason that the specular map should not show up in-game.

-

I try as you said. But still failed. Do i miss sonething?

post-36141-0-81660800-1439717308_thumb.jpg

The only other thing I can think of is that specular textures should be placed together with the diffuse textures in the aircraft's texture folder, unlike the bump map, which should be placed in the aircraft folder together (and NOT in the texture folder).

I've also just realized that im my settings, the "tile" boxes in the coordinates section are unchecked.

i use spec level not colour  try it

I already set the specular level, but same result. 

see my setting

post-36141-0-03431800-1439735478_thumb.jpg    post-36141-0-21242300-1439735489.png

Edited by Velo

Guys this is from the exporter notes ..

Specular Map
------------

To add Specular Map, check the box next to "Specular Color" in Maps, select "Bitmap" as Map type, and then select the texture map you want. Only the texture map name is exported, and none of the other Bitmap parameters are used.

The Specular color map (can be any format including .jpg and .bmp) is multiplied with the regular specular setting, set either in the INI file or using Specular Level checkbox, to reduce the amount of specular at each texture position. So white color (255,255,255) has specular as usual, any other color reduces the specular at that pixel, down to no specular with black (0,0,0). The R, B, G amount can be adjusted to shift the specular color as well, so red (255,0,0) pixel will have a red specular, etc.

Specular maps are applied per TextureSet basis, and should be included in each of the texture folder.

Specular Map only works when running the game in DX10 mode.

Personally, the above settings work for me.  I've never tried anything different from the above so I wouldn't know If anything else works equally as well.. Cheers

The only other thing I can think of is that specular textures should be placed together with the diffuse textures in the aircraft's texture folder, unlike the bump map, which should be placed in the aircraft folder together (and NOT in the texture folder).

I've also just realized that im my settings, the "tile" boxes in the coordinates section are unchecked.

Cheers !!    It woks!

post-36141-0-57250300-1439736783.jpg

the sp texture file should be in diffuse texture folder when use the specular color . Many thanks! 

Besides, i have 2 addtional question:

1, As Sophocles said, there is a file which introduce the export notes. Where can i find this file? I really want to read it for further infomation.

2, To Russouk, No, i use DX11 in Win7 . I am very curious about Specular level. When i set it, the specular highlight does work, very much shine. Only the pattern in Specular file does not show. (the Sp file is placed in aircraft folder, not the texture folder )   So, Is there some way of Specular level also can do this? If you know, please tell me the setting, i will test it again. I think this way will reduce the size of this mod and make me learn more about SF2 modding.

Thanks guys! 

Edited by Velo

Velo, from the exporter notes again ..

"set either in the INI file or using Specular Level checkbox, to reduce the amount of specular at each texture position"

I think that the game has 2 ways of reading specular level; either by checking and adding entries (not the map itself) to the "Specular Level" in MAX, which is what I assume RussoUK does, or by using entries such as the following in the TextureSet.ini in the texture folder ..

[TextureSet]
Name=341 ARROW 1968
Nation=Greece
Squadron=341 ARROW
StartDefaultDate=1966
Specular=1.000000
Glossiness=0.900000
Reflection=1.000000

Here is a copy of the thirdwire export notes ..

Exporter Notes Addendum.txt

Oh, Much appreciate  !   

I think the specular color or specular level is unreplaceable function for its image. The INI is able to set the high light in the whole part.  I do consider that specular level maybe a optimized option, but if it can not display high light in pattern, i shall choose the  specular color instead, even it makes the size increasing.

This aircraft mod is the ChengDu J-10B, which is 100% hand made by me from Jan.2015. I dont know there is a Banidos Team's J-10B. Anyway, maybe J-10B gets more attention than past.

Since I make it after work, it goes slowly. Now I `m making its texture, animation is the next step. There are many modding techs which i dont know, I may ask you for help someday.

post-36141-0-04624500-1439785616_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Velo, your model looks superb .. clean and efficient use of polys!!

I'm sorry Velo, I did not want to be rude, just I thought you were working with them. Your work is impressive, comparable to the best that we can find here.
(OFF: Do you have plans to work in the cockpit of this beautiful bird?)

Yes,of course. But this project will not finish soon, the cockpit will take time to accomplish. 

Thanks all of you.

• Like 1