davido53

Flashing textures, anyone have a cure?

running Win7 with a GTX750, but sometimes the textures go nuts...occasionally I can cure it with a view change, but it happens quite often

Assume you mean shimmering?

Terrain textures, buildings or all? 

I have a GTX 660 Ti. Latest drivers caused severe texture problems. I rolled back to an older driver to cure it.

all terrains or just one? that helps too!

I have a GTX 660 Ti. Latest drivers caused severe texture problems. I rolled back to an older driver to cure it.

Claw has the correct answer here. I had similar issues with the lastest drivers. try version 353.62

yes, all the textures were flashing

i'll try the rollback on the drivers, tks for that, didn't think of it!

well, I tried 353.62 but when installing it said it was not compatible with Win7...

guess I'll try something else

dang, just went to nvidia and 353.62 was released in July 2015 and it says it is compatible but my pc won't let it load, WTF

Edited by davido53

I have the Nvidia GeForce GTX 580 and have had the same problems with SF2.

Some comments I posted on another thread that may be more useful here:

Well, for what it's worth, [not a computer guy] I recently replaced my GT 240 with a Zotac GTX 750 passive cooled [price was right, Canadian dollar sucks.] and have been totally underwhelmed by the results. The only game I've tried it with so far are the SF-2 titles and I had texture tearing with the included CD drivers as well as texture tearing with the newest drivers. Also, the newer drivers were stumbling sometimes to frame rates in the 5-10 range. I have been testing some very old drivers from 2014 and have had better results although I still get a "water ripple" effect when panning the view. The frame rate has stayed above 50 with the old drivers. Of course, I don't have a clue whats going on but maybe some of the newer cards don't work that well with older computers or maybe the newer drivers don't work that well with the ThirdWire games. If I find a driver "date range" that works OK for me I will pass along the info.

New comments: Still underwhelmed but after trying some older drivers I've settled on the 353.62 for now. I don't get any texture tearing and the "water ripple" effect is almost non-existent. The main issue is what I would describe as "Mid Screen Shimmer" that is more noticeable at higher terrain texture settings. I'm stuck with terrain texture settings at MEDIUM to minimize the effect. That's the same setting I used with the GT 240 and it was far less obvious.

I too rolled back to 353.30 drivers.

A patch will be needed but TK/TW/TX will never realise.

:butcher:

• Like 1

Some progress with the GTX 750 at last. First thing to mention, my I3 Dell computer with Intel H57 chipset has never been updated. It's never been on the internet and I had SF-2 and some old DX9 games working so well with the old GT 240 card I just left things alone. After installing Windows 7 service pack one and a platform update called KB2670838 the "Mid Screen Shimmer" issue I had was no longer an issue. The general stability of the graphics was improved as well, things like flashing black bars when changing menu screens etc. The main issue that remained were "Jaggies" on the cockpit frame when panning across the cockpit view and a bit of a water ripple effect when viewing the ground. The oldest driver I could find was 335.23 and it was better than 353.62 and 353.30 but still annoying "Jaggies".  Tried 340.52 and "Bingo", no more jaggies or ripples. I think with Service Pack 1 and the platform update my Win 7 install is about circa 2013. I doubt anyone else here has a computer that hasn't been updated but if so, the above steps might help.

Still not real impressed with the performance improvement over the GT 240. Most testing has been done with the F-5E and Mirage F-1, both of which are quite resource intensive. Those are "must have" planes for me so the game settings I use have to accomodate then. All I seem to get with the new card is the view distance increased to VERY FAR [ not going back after seeing it] and the screen resolution increased to native which is only a small improvement over the GT 240.

I guess it's possible I might have a bottleneck in the system somewhere, running a Pcie 3.0 card in a Pcie 2.0 system. Maybe running more RAM would help as well. Does anyone know if increasing the RAM from 4 to 8GB would help things at all?

During all the driver changes I've been doing I came across this very handy and free driver removal tool. You can run it from the normal desk top and it will suggest restarting in "safe mode" and then, after you click yes, it will shut down the computer, restart in safe mode, and remove all the drivers associated with the selected graphics card. Then you can load the new drivers and restart manually.  Here's a link:

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Baffmeister:

If you are running 32 bit Windows 7, it can only address 4GB of system memory, but 64 bit Windows 7 will use up to 16 GB with the Home Edition and I think 32GB with the Pro Edition. 

Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) works really well with both Nvidia and AMD display drivers.  I'm a big fan, and run the latest version before every video driver update.  The latest AMD drivers are sensitive to less than clean installs, but DDU has worked great for me.

Tried 340.52 and "Bingo", no more jaggies or ripples. 

In fact I'm stuck with my very old GeForce 310, for which the latest available driver is the 341.81 IIRC, for Win10 x64. I've never experienced the problems described in this thread, I'm lucky to have an old video card it seems.  I hope the guys at nVidia fix these problems with the recent drivers, or I fear that SF2 without a patch won't live easily for the guys with the latest hardware and Microsoft's OS.

Baffmeister:

If you are running 32 bit Windows 7, it can only address 4GB of system memory, but 64 bit Windows 7 will use up to 16 GB with the Home Edition and I think 32GB with the Pro Edition. 

Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) works really well with both Nvidia and AMD display drivers.  I'm a big fan, and run the latest version before every video driver update.  The latest AMD drivers are sensitive to less than clean installs, but DDU has worked great for me.

Thanks for the comment, I have Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit . Still looking into the Dell specs for my rig but it may be limited to 8 GB maximum in four slots, according to the booklet that came with the computer. In the old days I would notice improved game performance when increasing the RAM but not sure if that still holds true today.

Thanks Blaze95, I will play around with the other 340 series drivers a bit to check for improved performance.

Guys, I tried rolling back to an older version of the nVidia drivers, but I am getting a message that the version is not compatible with Win 10.

What should I do to override that and still get the older driver installed?

No way last drivers (today realised) don't work.

Mostly on shadows on clear light but turning shadow on low this happened ...

post-5138-0-20575200-1443094160_thumb.jpg

I have a brand new NVIDIA 960 but using Win 7 I'ld be able to roll back again ....

If some of You think that TK/TW/TX could hear him please try to contact.

SF-2 is going to fade away.

:blackeye: 

you need to roll back to one of July drivers

but make sure you remove everything, there's a tool for that

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

then install the older driver

but yes... in time people will move on... windows 10, new drivers... and SF2 won't be updated anymore

it's just a matter of time

just started having this issue after overclocking my laptops gpu and running a stress test with sf2  that gave me a blue screen. after rebooting updates installed on its own. and even detuning. im having this tearing and floating object thing.

EDIT: Rolling back drivers isnt an option for me as the new drivers works well with my other programs and had a thought. I opened the Nvidia Control panel and changed some of the setting for SF2. Manually setting the values to something i thought was appropriate for my GPU and allowing application controlled settings on some of them removed the problems and gave me a much better render of the 3d objects than just leaving them on the default global settings set by Nvidia.

I have 900-series NVIDIA as well... can you share the settings you found most effective saisran?

I ran into the same problems with everything past 353.30.  I'm running a GTX 970G1.  Once I rolled back to 353.30, it all started working again.

• Like 1