Sign in to follow this  
tiopilotos

Vietnam terrain improves Red Side SAM performance?

It's a bit weird but that's what I've ended up after playing many missions in various terrains. 

I've made some modifications so that NVietnam can operate SA-3, SA-6, SA-8 etc. Their performance proved quite deadly! Even the older SA-2F gives a Pk of at least 0.4 - 0.5 if flying above 1500ft without use of countermeasures. In general all SAMs fired their missiles when targets came within their range and most of the times they seemed to follow the path direct to the target. 

In other terrains SA-2F will hit the target only when flying high and no hard manuevers. SA-3 will fire in closer ranges, SA-6 reacts very slowly and sometimes doesn't even fire! SA-8 doesn't react very fast in addition to Vietnam when fires all missiles if needed. MANPADS SA-14 and SA-18 usually don't fire to enemy aircrafts but in Vietnam don't just fire but are also quite effective when flying with no flares. 

I've installed the terrain files from SF2V XP V2.0 and SAM pack.

I've also tested the Red Side SAM performance in a "clean" full merged SF2V install. SA-2F was as good as in the modded terrain.

Edited by tiopilotos

Must be some variable in there

Country/Training??

Must be some variable in there

Country/Training??

The only enemy nation in nations.ini is NVietnam. The SAM operators training level can be adjusted?

Edited by tiopilotos

It would be interesting to know the relationship and (possible) bonuses of a AA networking... What is connected with what and if so, does what. Maybe it has serious impact like this you mentioned...

Some network items are general, have only

DataLink=TRUE

I guess these share vision with each other on the given side (red or blue)

And there are items which also have their own network type
NetworkType=SA-2

these share target info between fire control radar and launchers (or guns?)

The only enemy nation in nations.ini is NVietnam. The SAM operators training level can be adjusted?

Ground objects have skills, too... try adding objects in a mission editor and change their exp level

Ground objects have skills, too... try adding objects in a mission editor and change their exp level

Indeed ground objects have skills but you can't change experience level via mission editor in a given mission. You can adjust experience level only in objects that the user adds himself. If for example an enemy target area has a SAM site and some AAAs nearby you can't adjust the experience level cause these objects don't appear in mission editor. Plus if you add SAMs which need radar and launchers I doubt if ever these two will manage to link themselves. I've added many times Fangsong or Straightflush radars along with their launchers but not even a lock achieved. 

Maybe SAMs have a normal experience level by default in the game but why in Vietnam terrain are so effective?

Maybe they only work if assigned as SAM site in the terrain?  I have to try it right now...

Autonomous AA  (Including mobile SAM) which has its own radar - works fine, especially Osa SAM (SA-8) can be a pain in the ass (Same as SA-N-4 on ships)