Sign in to follow this  
jaker83

Bombing accuracy w/SF2V

Hello,

Im finding bombing accuracy difficult with the Rolling Thunder aircraft (A-4, F-105D, F-100, F-8 etc.).

Does anyone have any tips or tricks besides the ol' MK-1 eyeball and "Kentucky Windage"  :baby:

thanks for any help,

Jaker

Yea, steep angles and long ripple intervals work ok. Just curious if there was a ground mapping/bore sight ability to give you a CCIP of some sort. F-105 speeds with a little bit of tunnel vision will turn me into a kamikaze. At-least your'e hauling some major ass after the bomb run though.

Trials and errors. I use dive bombing and know how and when I should release with most planes I used. Requires training and of course, diving into a frenzy of AAA. 
Can't help with level bombing, I suck at it. 

Edited by Emp_Palpatine

Hello,

Im finding bombing accuracy difficult with the Rolling Thunder aircraft (A-4, F-105D, F-100, F-8 etc.).

Does anyone have any tips or tricks besides the ol' MK-1 eyeball and "Kentucky Windage"  :baby:

thanks for any help,

Jaker

Hello jaker83,

I believe you will find the below link of help (look in the "Air to Ground" section) :

http://www.simhq.com/articles-library/air-combat-corner-library.html

Regards.

Edited by Boresight

you come down and see us at sfp-1 mods and general discussion we are workin on radar bombing and tables for speed,, alt,, distance.. I got a pic in monthly screen shots with a B-1B, showing what we are capable of doing.

Hello,

thanks for any help,

Jaker

aww what the heck, it was a near miss

img00001

a pic is worth a thousand words,, if you look close below the tail section you'll see the little target box ,,and you see all the hud information,, enjoy.

Edited by yubba

Had to go test this,, some of you guys aren't flying the heavies,, level radar bombing, 5000ft,, speed 450,, pickle 3miles target runway I think it was a luck shot to tell you the truth

img00004

Can't hit shit? Welcome to realism. Bombing accuracy during the Vietnam War was horrible. For 5 months out of the year you couldn't hit a damn thing. During clearish days you may get a lot of near misses and maybe a hit, but during the monsoon season strikes were called off, except for some exceptions. 

Notable exceptions include:

1) Marine and Navy A-6s had a CEP of 50ft in all weather. 

2) Air Force singles or pairs of F-105D/Fs, F-4Ds and F-111As could obtain a CEP between 250-600ft at night and under the clouds

3) Radar bombing on command of ground stations could facilitate bombing during the cloudy monsoon season but included a CEP between 500-3,500 ft

4) Aussie Canberras could level bomb very accurately from below the clouds because they had a bombsite installed, which Americans cut for costs when producing the B-57

CEP - Circular Error of Probability: the area in which 50% of the bombs land in relation to the target

False confidence in the true abilities of American Air Power is a sizable component in why Rolling Thunder failed to coerce N Vietnam to a peace deal.

Edited by exhausted
  • Like 3

here's a present,, for you

phantom jocks

[AvionicsData]
AvailableModes=SEARCH,ACQUISITION,TRACK,BORESIGHT,GROUND_MAP
RangeUnit=NM
RangeSetting[1]=3.2
RangeSetting[2]=6
RangeSetting[3]=10
RangeSetting[4]=20
RangeSetting[5]=40