Korea visual update and enhancements pack

Korea (V3) visual update and enhancements pack.

This is new tileset, treemod, objects, targets enhancement mod for Wrench's Korea(v3) terrain.

Version 1.1 update:
Added missing graphics files for the village type objects, added three graphics to main folder (were in seasonal ones) just to be extra sure

Why:
Kevin's Korea V3 terrain was released with temporal f***ing ugly test set I made for KAW team back in early 2010, despite me having some other nicer fittable sets at my disposal. Yes I have been angry about that. Very very angry. But now I am ok, good doctors care for me here ;)

This work is done to fix that omission of mine and I tired hard to make Korea nice place to fly in.

What's this:

-new summer and winter tilesets
-new tile layout-following dedicated TOD objects, with densely placed and rather real-size objects
-new era-themed ground objects (barracks, fuel tanks, tents, HQ, fire houses, misc buildings etc) to replace the stock TW ones, be it in airbases or targetareas
-some older target objects have their textures tweaked or repainted under fair use license; that is mostly various "halle" objects by either Gepard or Gocad
(various runways are yet to be repainted)
-lots of targetareas have re-positioned targets to avoid i.e. barracks in the middle of tree cluster or factories sunken within tod buildings -but there is still LOTS of places to redo. You have been warned.
-lots of targetareas expanded with additional eyecandy civilian village-type objects (though these are still a bit of WIP and bit "generic asian" in appearance; also these are old, like 5 years old)
-the tiles are specfically tuned to work best with SARCASM 2 beta 2 update 1 lighting and sky

Installation (read carefully!):

-given the amount of objects this pack replaces you are advised to keep archived full current Korea terrain you use (it's called BACKING UP and it's really healthy, trust me)
-this pack assumes you do have working Korea (v3) terrain installed and tested in your installation -dedicated Korean War installation in of course preferable
-before installing content of this 7-zip archive, go to your Korea3 folder and delete EVERY SINGLE TOD file there (the files with .tod extension) -otherwise you might end with trees in wrong places of houses in the sea. Yes, really.
-you can delete the seasonal tiles folders (winter, spring, fall, late fall etc) as this pack has new unique seasons in their new folders with new naming (fade_summer and fade_winter; why "fade"? This months-long project I kept under such code name to confuse my better half or possible Insky-related hacker bot that keeps attacking my emails. Ohh wait, where's my tilfoil hat?)
-extract this archive to a place of your choice and move the Korea3 folder to your terrains one overwriting all files when asked. Overwriting IS vital of course.
-you shall test my Sarcasm 2 beta (2 update 1) with this pack, really. i have my own, ohh well "art style" for SF2 series these packs represent; you might not like this but well, you can't change me can you?
-in SF2 WW2 forum I released some new or updated effects, work well with this pack
-you're pretty much good to go at this point

Licensing:
CA Freeware license apply -not to be used in any payware project; But you are encouraged to repaint and tweak the tiles, objects and associated graphis, tods to fit your own tileset or terrain.

Credits:
The author of the original decade old SFP1 Korea mod terrain as I tried to replicate it's general green-brownish tones.
Wrench and KAW team for Korea3 and everything-Korea related. Than you guys. KAW mod is not yet dead. Or I'd rather say quite alive and kicking.
Do335 for his work invested in putting the KAW team work and available assets back together. Much appreciated.
Luk1978 for sharing with us his interesting repaint of my Taiwan/Korea set that gave me few ideas about the general feel of the set, thank you. Be back to SF2 please as you quietly do interesting stuff IMO.
All the good and bad souls at Combat Ace and around :P

Happy flying
Stary

• Like 2

Who needs DCS World?  Seriously the level of detail of this tileset is so high that I will stare at the terrain, rather than flying over it.  Wonderful job as always, Stary!

• Like 1

I don't consider it as done as I'd like yet -as in some targetareas need replacements which is very very lenghty and tedious process despite having Mue's awesome tool- but I decided I'll release it as I'll be occupied with work in coming weeks and hate to keep what's in fact finished mod to myself lol

Do I understand well that sarcasm pack is included?

And the new effects you mention in installation notes?

Bravo!

Atta Boy Stary.....................Detail = immersion at its best!

Thank you for your time & effort Sir.

NIELS

Great-looking terrain, thanks a lot Stary.

It avoids that repeating-tile look, which spoils many terrains - this version really looks naturalistic and authentic.

And the colors are good, I like the overall greenish-brown tone.

I tried it and it looks awesome.  I have a question; no more city tiles?  I have no problem with that, but this limits the proper terrain usage to the 50s or so, while the Korean terrain could be useful for some Strike Fighters what ifs.  I know, you lost interest in the post 60s era, don't worry it isn't a request.

Second, I have a little important suggestion.  Wrench added interesting easter eggs in mainland China, however it is in my opinion more suitable that they appear from the year 2008 and later. The reason is self explanatory; just find these lines in the targets.ini:

Target[XX].Type=Beijing8
Target[XX].Offset=XX,X
Target[XX].Heading=XX

And add the following:

Target[XX].ActiveYear=2008

yes I did test with this one how the terrain would look without the city buildings satellite tiles as these are usually coming off unnaturally IMO, so yeah that makes the terrain bit underdeveloped in appearance, so there is little usage for post KAW at the moment

which is what exactly? This is for Korea V3, and I don't know what exactly Do335 did to the terrain itself

IIRC Do335 made some small changes in the targets.ini, probably changed runway shape (changed runway2 to a runway3, for instance) of some airfields to better reflect the real world counterpart.

IIRC Do335 made some small changes in the targets.ini, probably changed runway shape (changed runway2 to a runway3, for instance) of some airfields to better reflect the real world counterpart.

Yeah those are just cosmetic texture changes, I made north korea ABs use TK's North vietnam/eastern europe runways to provide some variety is all so no biggie. But I also added some placeholder cities as strategic nodes on the south korean eastern coast so the campaign could function, like forming the pusan perimeter etc. I'm gonna have to add those in when I got more time.

:diablo:  Long term plan's staging Incheon and Wonsan/hungnam amphibious landing. No idea if I can pull it off :blink:

Edited by Do335
  • Like 2

Do335 those I have yet to test...

I am pretty sure we can make the mods compatible one with another

Wrench added interesting easter eggs in mainland China, however it is in my opinion more suitable that they appear from the year 2008 and later. The reason is self explanatory; just find these lines in the targets.ini:

:biggrin:

Never thought anybody even noticed them!!!

:biggrin:

Never thought anybody even noticed them!!!

Well, truth to be told I haven't checked them while flying on the terrain, I just noticed the file, and obviously I thought it was an easter egg.  I told Stary to add the .ActiveYear=2008 statement to each of them, since it would be very strange to see them in the 50s, unless we have a time machine that is, LOL

• Like 1

it would be very strange to see them in the 50s,

THAT is exactly the point, hence them being Easter Eggs. Please do NOT change the dates

also as to cities, there would most definitely BE city tiles in 99.9% of the cities. The maps/charts I used for some of them dated to 1945 --

even to the point of including the location of Japanese barracks and aircraft factories

of course, I too have the same maps Kevin, but as an author of this mod I did some experiments and found out that such way as it is this looks better, again for me

also you know my stance on cities as we have them in the series, making them -especially say 1950s asian ones here- full of cubes breaks my heart.

There's different approach I have in the workshop for Rend's Germany I work on once in a blue moon though, both are of course have their limitations, so it's this or that :sad:

eh it's all good! Luckily it's not war thunder that everyone has to be on the same stuff.

Overflew the chosin reservoir in a corsair. It felt.. quite historical. Since the water's not moving might as well consider it frozen:) Man I could hear the screams.

@Emp_palpatine single missions are always good. Campaigns not yet. In time i'll probably make it work so.. shouldn't be too bad.

especially say 1950s asian ones here- full of cubes breaks my heart.

brother, I feel the pain! Imagine trying to redo the WW2 Okinawa/Japan map ... there's NO TODs that fit the bill, and still allow proper addition of targets.