Hauksbee

Widowmaker? You there?

Back in the days when we were undergoing the split between CA and SimHQ, I posed a question to you and never got a clear answer because you were calling down a pox on all Forums and declaring that you were off to Facebook,

You were ever the greatest advocate of having a Sopwith Snipe added to OFF/WOFF. Now that there is a Snipe, is it the ride you had always hoped it would be? (Truth to be told, I've not tried it yet myself) Was it a straight line improvement over the Camel, or a disappointment as was the Albatros D.V over the D.III?

572d2b591a5887f0b412fd6040f44cb5.jpg

Edited by Hauksbee

Widowmaker, I miss you too, my grumpy friend - you were one of the first users I noticed,

when you had a ranting, which ended with "Woff, woff!"

How's your border collie?

Was it a straight line improvement over the Camel, or a disappointment as was the Albatros D.V over the D.III?

This is a persistent misbelief about the D.V, Hauksbee, and it seems that even the OBD devs fell for it.

I just re-read Arthur Gould Lee's book "No Parachute", and there he wrote, that the Naval Sopwith Triplanes

did not fear the Albatros D.III too much, but they said that the Albatros D.V was all over them, and they

urgently wanted the new Sopwith Camel (yet in development) as soon as possible.

This clearly shows that the D.V WAS better than the D.III.

But when the SPAD, the S.E.5a and the Sopwith Camel appeared in larger numbers -

by then it was of not much use anymore. The Entente planes were just so much

faster, stronger and better at climbing. At this time MvR complained about this new

Albatros being "of no use against the latest enemy fighters".

Edited by Olham

This is a persistent misbelief about the D.V, Hauksbee, and it seems that even the OBD devs fell for it.

Actually, I'm happy to hear that. The D.V is an elegant airplane and I was always sorry to think of as a bit of a dog. I'm pleased to leave that bit of misinformation behind. ( besides...if it were a dog, why would our very own Olham be so passionate about it?)

I think too many people have heard von Richtofen's comments, not knowing that they were made at the end of the Albatros's operational life. (me among them).

Edited by Hauksbee

...if it were a dog, why would our very own Olham be so passionate about it?)

I think too many people have heard von Richtofen's comments, not knowing that they were made at the end of the Albatros's operational life. (me among them).

The D.V in WOFF is not as well to fly as I would expect it was, so I use Robert_Wiggins' Albatros FM.

I am flying the kite for the reason you mention: it just looks beautiful.

Von Richthofen didn't make this comment at the end of the Albatros D.V's operational life, but earlier.

Just like Tutschek from Jasta 12, who also complained about the lack of performance.

When the D.V appeared, it WAS a useful fighter - but it didn't take too long for the Entente to come up

with better fighters. So the D.V was "obsolete" already soon after it's introduction.

I wished JFM would be around here - he could be much more precise about this matter.

I wished JFM would be around here - he could be much more precise about this matter.

I just happen to have his e-mail address. I'll poke him with a vstick.

Edited by Hauksbee

Looks like Widowmaker has moved on to other pursuits. His reply...

Thanks Kell..but i'm so far removed from all that these days...I don't even play OFF/WOFF anymore :(

Looks like Widowmaker has moved on to other pursuits. His reply...

Thanks Kell..but i'm so far removed from all that these days...I don't even play OFF/WOFF anymore :(

Ugh.  All that pushing for a Snipe and when the Devs finally deliver it, the guy who wants it most moves on.  Oh well, such is life.   The little :( at the end of his comment sort of looks like he's not too happy about it either.  I sincerely hope that all is well in Windowmakers' life.   Maybe someday he will be able to return to WOFF 3.0!  :)

Ugh.  All that pushing for a Snipe and when the Devs finally deliver it, the guy who wants it most moves on.  Oh well, such is life.   The little :( at the end of his comment sort of looks like he's not too happy about it either.  I sincerely hope that all is well in Windowmakers' life.   Maybe someday he will be able to return to WOFF 3.0!  :)

I echo your sentiments Hellshade - what a shame to have lost him. Widow was always one of my favorite members to chat with as well. It was always a pleasure to see him kicking around the boards - his subtle and not-so subtle messages asking for a Snipe were good for a laugh. Hope he is doing okay...

Widow shared a passion for the Camel that I also did. I have flown the snipe and although it is not as snappy in turns as the camel, it is a fine craft/

Hi Guys, I'm still around....I don't play WOFF much these days, as i'm into FSX and P3d..having started working on a simpit.... 

I absolutely detest the forum on simhq....so, when CA's OFF forum went pear shaped, it put me off totally. Was without doubt, the worst thing to happen to WOFF in my opinion.

As the forum here does indeed appear to be having a slight resurgence..I may come back to the game.

cheers guys

:)

Hey, now that's good news - nice to 'see' you, Widowmaker!

Some of us are trying hard to give this place new breath - for me it wouldn't be a problem to visit both places.

Edited by Olham
  • Like 1

I was gutted when the forum moved. I'd had many bad experiences from fanbois on simhq in the IL2 days....The place was badly moderated. I'm sure it's better nowadays, but it's a moot point with me 

Nice to see some familiar names..and avatars here. Maybe we can re-emerge :)

The other problem I have..is that WOFF runs pants on my system... it's so jerky..tried loads of things...but it's not an enjoyable experience 

I was gutted when the forum moved...

Yep, there was lamentation at the BOC that night. But, now that we've prised you out of your self-inflicted exile, give us your thoughts on the Snipe. I know you had it up on a few occasions. If I recall, you posted one of the first "Pilot and Fence" pictures. Does the Snipe satisfy?

Edited by Hauksbee

Yes Hauksbee...though, I think i kinda got the wrong impression about it from RB3d days..when i could kill anything that flew with a Snipe,,,it's a rather steeper learning curve in the WOFF version..but I do like it.

Edited by UK_Widowmaker

WidowMaker - good to see you sir.    By chance are you flying WOFF V1 or the new V2 with the 2.12 patch?  Lots of improvements with V2.  

Hi Guys, I'm still around....I don't play WOFF much these days, as i'm into FSX and P3d..having started working on a simpit.... 

I absolutely detest the forum on simhq....so, when CA's OFF forum went pear shaped, it put me off totally. Was without doubt, the worst thing to happen to WOFF in my opinion.

As the forum here does indeed appear to be having a slight resurgence..I may come back to the game.

cheers guys

:)

Well hi there Widow! Great to see your name pop up again!

I can relate to falling away from the boards. My ancient computer basically played one game for the last two years - although "fix the glitch" felt more like a glorified version of whack-a-mole than anything fun... So I also gave up on OFF - and WOFF? Ha, didn't have a hope of running it. So I finally caved and with some help, picked up a new computer that also happens to have the specs to run WOFF at a respectable rate.

I'm more than happy to post my exploits over here at CA - especially if it would draw you back to the sim. I have to say, a week in and I'm astounded at the thing!

PS: I'm sure you probably tried every trick in the book to make it work, but did you try cranking your settings up in WOFF to see if it ironed out the micro stutters I've read about? I had the same problem and every time I'd tick the settings back it only got worse. So I took a play from the boards and cranked my settings up to what I thought were impossible to run and sure enough, no more stutter. I get some slight frame rate drops - but only if I'm over heavily populated terrain, like London at dawn with Terrain and Scenery on 4. Otherwise, it's smooth as silk.

Completely buggered two decades of computer logic in my brain but it worked!

At any rate, good to see you drop by! We'll see if we can lure you back in full time. :biggrin:

Edited by _CaptSopwith

The mods on SimHq are Polovski and Sandbagger.   I think they are both OBD devs.  This may or may not be a good thing

Well helloooooooooooooooo Widowmaker!  Nice to see you are still about.  Also nice to see you're still using the sig pic I put together for you. :smile:  Hope you can get to flying WOFF on a regular basis at some point, it is a pip!