Sign in to follow this  
slick cowboy

blank terrain, card settings?

After a long break I fired up SF2, but this is what I got to see. Terrain going blank, sometimes objects are separating.

Never saw this before. Must be related to my video card... I put the V Sync on off, but that didn't help.

Terrain is Rend's Germany, but I had no problem before... Anyone seen this? What could this be? I'm pretty sure it's the card 3d settings... I have a GTX960

post-52590-0-37473400-1442421895_thumb.jpg

ok i rolled back but that didn't solve it

I then checked my 3d settings and put the anisotropic filtering on off

and the Texture filtering - Negative LOD Bias to Allow

that seemed to solve it

let's see what happens when i update the driver again and keep these settings...

v-sync is not the problem, SF2 forces it to off anyway

Edited by slick cowboy

Bad issue indeed.  Are you playing on Windows 10?  Moreover make sure you revert the the previous nVdia drivers, I've heard the latest ones have created some big problems.

PS: I'm playing with a crappy GeForce 310, I'm stuck unfortunately with the old v341.81 drivers, but no issues like the ones above.

i rolled back to 353.62

flew two missions, the second one froze

let's try with the 353.30

incredible... thirdwire should really stop selling this game and put it up for free if they don't bother updating their game, wtf...

How odd that so few people have reported this problem, when it's more than likely something fouled up on YOUR end.

Basic diagnostic procedure that I had pounded into my head is thus:

Common to one, or common to all??

If it you have more than one mods folder, you've not stated that it's doing it on ALL of them.  Have you tested this?? Have you added a mod recently that may have an outdate or just plane wrong ini of some kind??

You've also given us exceeding little to go on .. things we'd need to know like

OS?

graphics card?

which terrain?

what things recently added?

How about we try this --- cut out the affected mods folder -- just rename it. Hit the exe and allow a NEW one to be rebuilt. Don't add a thing to it, just fly a few mission stock.

Report your back with your findings

I didn't touch the game in several months. And last time I played it ran without any hiccups.

I play it again and bam!

The only that changed is several driver updates and perhaps some fiddling with the card settings to optimize Civ V.

But after experimenting with different settings and rolling back, nothing much has changed.

It affects all terrains.

I'm on Win 7, with a GTX960

I'll try a different mod folder. I have a second one I made just for the Black Sea terrain.

Edited by slick cowboy

an interesting observation - graphics issues referenced above have ONLY happened with TK's default planes - all of the modders aircraft, whether from the A-team or Mirage Factory or Wrench - work fine on GTX 960/Win10. The game engine has not been updated since July 2013... so I guess I'm not really all that surprised this is happening. 

I'm testing on stock terrains, no probs so far.

I do remember adding some FX files to my terrains... like TERALPHAOBJECT.FX and TERSOLIDOBJECT.FX

I don't know if that could be it... I need fly and compare...

Slick Cowboy, is that a 2GB or 4GB GTX 960 ? I have issues with a 2GB GTX 950 (which unfortunately can't use anything earlier thant 355.xx drivers) but none with a 4GB GTX 970 (even with 355.xx drivers).

I'd wager this has to do with a combination of the game and drivers memory management on cards with "low" memory quantity/bandwidth when playing on high/unlimited with highly modded installs (large textures, modded environment.ini etc).

Edited by Gunrunner

the 2GB GTX960

it did play near flawlessly (a few freezes have been always kinda "normal") before the summer

Well, for what it's worth, [not a computer guy] I recently replaced my GT 240 with a Zotac GTX 750 passive cooled [price was right, Canadian dollar sucks.] and have been totally underwhelmed by the results. The only game I've tried it with so far are the SF-2 titles and I had texture tearing with the included CD drivers as well as texture tearing with the newest drivers. Also, the newer drivers were stumbling sometimes to frame rates in the 5-10 range. I have been testing some very old drivers from 2014 and have had better results although I still get a "water ripple" effect when panning the view. The frame rate has stayed above 50 with the old drivers. Of course, I don't have a clue whats going on but maybe some of the newer cards don't work that well with older computers or maybe the newer drivers don't work that well with the ThirdWire games. If I find a driver "date range" that works OK for me I will pass along the info.

so... I tried a few things. Since the last big mod I installed was Rend's Germany terrain, I tested on my SF2NA mod folder (which I didn't use for a while)

I flew the stock Germany terrain, enough times and various missions to see if it would crash or if my aircraft would go all "transformers" on me.

Nothing...

I install the Rend terrain, fly it, and it freezes. Sometimes in the cockpit, sometimes when there's a lot ground objects being attacked.

I rename the Rend terrain (so that it's not recognized), install the older four seasons mod for GermanyCE, fly a couple of times... and after a few missions comes the dreaded freeze. (my mind is boiling now)

Out of curiosity, I delete the Rend folder completely and leave the four seasons mod. Fly that, like at least ten missions, no freeze, no transformers, no blank terrains.

Weird (or what?)

Since I mainly use the SF2 mod folder for almost everything, I delete the Rend folder there, reinstall the four season mod and likewise, no freezes...

I tried my Desert terrain (modded), seems ok. I did find the TERALPHAOBJECT.FX and TERSOLIDOBJECT.FX in there, which I deleted. Maybe those were the culprits that made my missions freeze in the desert.

Still need to test the Vietnam and Iceland terrains. And fly a full campaign.

If nothing weird happens, I'll try updating my driver and see what happens.