Hellshade

WOFF is still growing. Devs working on something new!

From the newsletter :

We are working on something new currently and we will tell you more on that another time. 

How exciting is that?  WOFF continues to expand and offer more and more immersion.   Any ideas on what their new project for WOFF is guys?

Great news, whatever it may be.

They said some time ago, that they wanted to build some of the known historical airfields, as they really looked.

That would be great to have, and my personal wish & guess.

Ah, those rascally DEv's, I just knew they were up to something! Isn't it wonderful how they made an announcement and, at the same time, managed to say nothing?

Ah, those rascally DEv's... Isn't it wonderful how they made an announcement and, at the same time, managed to say nothing?

Weren' they always like this? And in the end, after "two weeks", they always delivered.  :flyer: 

Weren' they always like this? And in the end, after "two weeks", they always delivered.  :flyer: 

Indeed they were. Not for nothing did I dub them "the Great Glacial Dev's". They let nothing leak out until the 'two weeks' are properly over. If you can tough it out, the Dev's never disappoint.

Fortunately, there's no lack of things to do in WOFF V2.   Even as it stands right now, WOFF will hold my attention for many years.  I highly suspect the only thing that will replace it is if the devs at OBD come up with something to replace it with.    You'd be hard pressed to find a modern developer who would put so much time and effort into historically accurate details and provide such outstanding support.

That said: I can't wait for whatever OBD has planned next.   :)

Edited by Hellshade

You'd be hard pressed to find a modern developer who would put so much time and effort into historically accurate details and provide such outstanding support.

Small company - big achievements.

I guess the RoF crew was much bigger, but they didn't yet create as much as OBD did.

Not to speak of the public relations. Here OBD was also always sober and clear,

and they rather kept quiet than promising too much.

You'd be hard pressed to find a modern developer who would put so much time and effort into historically accurate details and provide such outstanding support.

Hard pressed, and good luck to y'. When the Dev's are wearing their "Historical Details Hats" they are formidable. But what I always wondered about is why the WOFF lanscape doesn't match up with reality. When WOFF v.1 came out I hoped to haunt Corbie/Vaux-sur-Somme in hopes of finding MvR on his last mission. I saddled up a Camel and flew south from Bertangle looking for the Somme figuring that then I'd turn east and follow it. I flew severals times, once for over an hour. Never found it. I knew Corbie lay to the east of Amiens so I tried flying east. Again; no go.

When RAF_Lou created his maps, I saw why. In reality the Somme runs through Amiens. In WOFF it passes north of the city. In reality, the Somme twists and meanders because Flanders and Picardy are so flat. In WOFF, the Somme is mainly straight lines. Is it possible the the Dev's did not feel it necessary to consult any maps for WOFF landscapes?

WOFF MAP.jpg

Edited by Hauksbee

Is it possible the the Dev's did not feel it necessary to consult any maps for WOFF landscapes?

The basics of the landscape, like rivers or cities, are AFAIK the original CFS3 landmarks.

I found several times, that roads and rivers seemed to match quite well with reality.

You can try that out by pausing over a bridge, and then noting the longitude/latitude data

from the F5 text or the inflight map. When you compare that to GoogleMaps satelite view,

you may really find that road crossing that river. What definitely does not match are the

towns and cities - they often seem to be too far to the south-east.

CFS3! Of couse. Now that you refresh my memory, I think I asked this question once before. Ah well.

CFS3! Of couse. Now that you refresh my memory, I think I asked this question once before. Ah well.

No problem, Hauksbee - I often have such Déja-vus myself, though I am younger than you.

After mapping Flanders, the Marne, and Verdun in WOFF, (yes, I will get to the Alsace I promise), I can tell you that the roads, rail lines, and lakes are a match to the real world.  After that it is all up for grabs.  Rivers and major cities are so hit-and-miss that you cannot trust that they are where they should be.  Same is true with the forests.  Still, with maps built to fit the WOFF landscape it becomes a non-issue in terms of navigation.  For me, the biggest single improvement that could be made would be to have realistic rivers throughout the WOFF virtual world and this would include their elevations.  Wouldn't it be grand to be able to actually fly along a river valley in WOFF?  And to pass over bridges that truly fit with the surrounding landscape?  Someday perhaps - someday.

Wouldn't it be grand to be able to actually fly along a river valley in WOFF?  And to pass over bridges that truly fit with the surrounding landscape?  Someday perhaps - someday.

Yes, it would. I have not given up on my desire to create WOFF Mods, Lou. My move is over and I am now in DeForest, WI (just spittin' distance down the road from Madison). Time to get back out on Craig's List and find  a tutor for my Gmax/Modding problems. Speaking of the landscapes being a leftover from CFS3, is it possible to change them, or, is it a part of 2% kernel of the CFS Engine that cannot be modified?

Wouldn't it be grand to be able to actually fly along a river valley in WOFF?

Yes, absolutely!

I wish for a Verdun campaign

I too, would like to participate in a Verdun campaign. As a General Staff Officer in Paris.

Well, the Verdun forts are there - maybe there is something going on at Verdun at the right time?

I too, would like to participate in a Verdun campaign. As a General Staff Officer in Paris.

I'd like to play a lot of WoFF campaigns, but I would have loved to participate the first world war as a Swiss banker loaning money to arm dealers 

I'd like to play a lot of WoFF campaigns, but I would have loved to participate the first world war as a Swiss banker loaning money to arm dealers 

Ah, yes. 'Back when the "Gnomes of Zurich" could really wheel and deal.

Edited by Hauksbee

FIFA is still full of gnomes for those who are interested in football. 

FIFA is still full of gnomes for those who are interested in football. 

I love football, except when it's about sport.

Still, I feel like it's substantial, so I'm going to guess that we will hear what the devs are cooking up on December 15th, 2015.

I missed the announcement at SimHQ. Did they mention a 'big thing' or are you only playing a hunch? In any event, I'll back your estimate of Dec.15th which would put the release in time for Christmas.

Hellshade: my apologies. I clicked 'quote' thinking that I'd get a quote header (as above) and go on to write my own post (as we see here) but somehow (because I have Moderator powers) I simply over-wrote your post. I don't know of any way to un-do this.

Edited by Hauksbee

Always fun to speculate...maybe you should make the rule that all guesses must be accompanied by the reasoning for the guess (even if it's just "totally random").  I like hearing what drives the speculation; helps me to "see" ideas I hadn't considered myself.

I would say 1st December.  Biggest reason being it's approaching the holiday, but not so close that we'd run into "We just couldn't make the release in time for Santa" (which seems to happen).  No reflection on OBD at all, just these are my experiences with releases in general (even work projects, not just entertainment stuff).  I think a group - any group - goes through that once or twice, they eventually steer well clear of it in the future.

Then again, I don't have much of a 'dog in the fight'.  The few things I really would like to see happen with WOFF are likely never going to happen.  It's remarkable what's been done so far, but - being totally honest here - I find the few remaining issues to be more and more detracting.  And any change in this is a technical improbability, since it involves the sim's "engine" and graphics.

We'll see, though.  OBD has certainly amazed in the past, no doubt.