Hellshade

New Red Baron sim in 2016? I honestly doubt it.

Creator of the Red Baron sim wants to fly again

http://www.polygon.com/2015/9/22/9354153/the-red-baron-is-ready-to-fly-again

There just seem to me to be too many "red flags" in the article that make me believe he will never (excuse the pun) get off the ground.

He wants to keep the company small. He doesn't want to work lots of hours. Yet somehow, he wants to get all the little details right about the flight models. He doesn't want to "live his life for work. There has to be something more." And he hopes to launch in 2016, but he hasn't even gotten the funding to start a prototype yet.

I don't feel like he realizes just how demanding WWI flight simmers are in 2015 vs how they were in 1990. Lets face it, the demand for historical accuracy among single players and FM accuracy among SP and multiplayer simmers has increased a hundredfold. It sounds to me more like he wants to have fun making a game (and maybe relive a little of the past glory of a previously successful title of his) than he has a real passion for the history of WWI like OBD Software does.

I'd be amazed if he has the stamina to create the kind of in depth WWI dynamic single player air campaign system that WOFF has.

Best guess. If he finishes the sim at all it will be "air quake" for WWI planes.

However - I need only one great WW1 air combat sim with immersive single player campaigns - and WOFF gives me that.

But then I never flew "Red Baron 3D" - I guess those who did, have their great memories.

Here's the reason I never got excited about Red Baron:
 full-21938-109456-in_red_baron.0.jpg
It was just too clunky looking. I had no feeling of flying a real airplane, only of pushing some poorly drawn graphics around the screen. And without a TrackIR, the between-the-wings view was like like trying to spot enemies through the letter-slot in a door. It was ugly and frustrating. I really tried to like it, but the light wasn't worth the candle.

The bar has been set so much higher now, I don't see how he's going to make it.

Well, itt's not fair to compare a very old picture of a very old sim (this is a Red Baron picture, not even a Red Baron 3D picture) that worked in my old 386 machine (With MS-DOS, not Windows at all), with any modern game. It's like saying: "I'm not very impressed with the Ford-T, I like much more my Ford Mustang 2015".

I'm sure the man will do a modern sim (if the project is finished anytime)

• Like 1

Well, itt's not fair to compare a very old picture of a very old sim (this is a Red Baron picture, not even a Red Baron 3D picture) that worked in my old 386 machine (With MS-DOS, not Windows at all), with any modern game. It's like saying: "I'm not very impressed with the Ford-T, I like much more my Ford Mustang 2015".

I'm sure the man will do a modern sim (if the project is finished anytime)

Oh heavens no sir.  Of course not.   I had been looking at the Kickstarter footage for it - which you can see here :   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pf3CZY5WNLI     

Well, reading that article, I wonder how Slye will try to get those plans and his ideas of a less stressful development

under one hat, as we say in Germany. But sure: give the man a chance to surprise everyone.

Would be nice (always nice to have new stuff)

but i won't hold my breath 

If he wants to throw some money around, maybe he could join in with OBD? 

But it sounds as if he wants to be in charge....

I don't think the WWI sim market is big enough ....