Hi!  Can anyone explain the differences between using a JPG file verses a BMP file for skins or terrains etc?  I have a feeling that JPGs are better and work smoother but I really don't know

JPGs far less space and hold a lot of detail...my 2048x2948 jpgs for the mig29,smaller in size and better detail than a 1024x1024 bmp

• Like 1

jpeg takes way less space.

the C-17 i skinned recently originally had a universal bmp for 13 skins(skin in the main aircraft folder with nothing in the skin folders). it took less file space to use jpeg in all 13 folders instead.

Edited by daddyairplanes

JPGs take up a lot less space on your hard drive than BMPs, and I also think they load faster in the sim than BMPs.

• Like 1

Ah ok thanks guys that's confirming my suspicion!  I tried converting an entire terrain to JPG's and it works remarkably well my frame rate skyrocketed!  I would totally recommend this! 

Let's see, a typical 1024x1024 BMP is always 3MB, the JPG version with the lowest compression (100% quality) is around 600-700kB, the DDS version with MIP images is around 650-750kB.

The more complex the skin is, the heavier the JPG will be (conversely, a 1024x1024 skin consisting only of pixels of a single colour would be around 20kB), BMP and DDS however always have the same file size for the same spatial dimensions.

BMP is frankly the worst format, it takes more space on disk and it takes longer to load (because nowadays it's faster to decompress a JPG/DDS than read a BMP, this hasn't always been the case).

JPG is a nice intermediary, it takes the least space and it's fast to load, however it requires a bit more processing to load than DDS and takes up more VRAM than DDS (NB: with Kerbal Space Program, I'm not sure it holds true for Strike Fighters 2, I'll have to check).

DDS are the best, they take only marginally more space than JPG in typical situations, they load the fastest and use the least amount of VRAM (see the NB above).

P.S. : "Lossless" JPG produced by some graphic software as well as the one included as stock by ThirdWire may actually be larger than DDS in many cases.

P.P.S. : Take into account that DDS is an accepted format only for skins, your best bet for mass conversion is JPG (and even then, there are a few instances where only BMP are read, demonstrating how "sub-optimal" some parts of the code are).

Edited by Gunrunner

One thing I forgot to mention, there is a HUGE difference between JPG and BMP.

You can put BMP at a plane or ship root directory and they'll be used unless there is a file with the same name inside a skin directory, the same thing does not work with JPG.

Let's say I have a plane with 2 image files constituting a skin, it has 2 skins, but those skin only differ on the second skin file.

With BMP I can set things up as follow :

Aircraft\Plane\Skin_1.bmp

Aircraft\Plane\Skin1\Skin_2.bmp

Aircraft\Plane\Skin2\Skin_2.bmp

And it will work, but if you want to do the same thing with JPG you have to do :

Aircraft\Plane\Skin1\Skin_1.jpg

Aircraft\Plane\Skin1\Skin_2.jpg

Aircraft\Plane\Skin2\Skin_1.jpg

Aircraft\Plane\Skin2\Skin_2.jpg

So depending on the number of skins and the commonality between them, it might make a huge size difference (because one 3MB BMP file is smaller than 12 600kB JPG files).

It also means that converting BMP in place might end up with broken textures.

Keep in mind though that you can mix and match file types, making :

Aircraft\Plane\Skin_1.bmp

Aircraft\Plane\Skin1\Skin_2.jpg

Aircraft\Plane\Skin2\Skin_2.jpg

possible and probably most efficient in cases of a large number of skins with high commonality.

Edited by Gunrunner

Thats been referred to as universal skin Gunrunner. But depending on texture size it may still be smaller overall to use jpeg in skin (shocking when its the case even with 15 skin folders!)

You can put BMP at a plane or ship root directory and they'll be used unless there is a file with the same name inside a skin directory, the same thing does not work with JPG.

It depends on what format the lod calls for. If it calls for jpg files, then you can put jpg files in the plane root folder.

BMP is frankly the worst format, it takes more space on disk and it takes longer to load (because nowadays it's faster to decompress a JPG/DDS than read a BMP, this hasn't always been the case).

Would it be possible to get some data to back that up, please? I've been under the impression that the time/processing power to decompress a JPG negated any advantage of smaller file size.

I've experimented with DDS textures for smaller ground objects before, using DXT1 compression, but I'm wondering if there are more optimal settings for this sim. What's the best compression scheme to mimimize loss of quality?

Also, is there any advantage to using a non-compressed DDS compared to a BMP? Should I generate mipmaps, or does the game auto-generate them?

Besides changing the BMP to JPG files in the terrain/map folder, do you have to tell that somewhere? Like changing a log from image.bmp to image.jpg so it will load out.

Does the same apply to the objects?

This skin for example at 2048x2048...JPG=2mb,BMP=12mb....go figure....lol

post-1981-0-60018300-1444252582.jpg

post-1981-0-34857900-1444252630.jpg

Edited by russouk2004

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By JamesWilson
      Hi everyone,
      I recently got into weapon modding and wanted to edit some missiles.
      I went for the Weapons Folder with the Weapons Editor, and some weapons were missing, even tho i can see them and equip them in-game.
      I wanted to edit the AA-2D Atoll for my Su-22M3, but there's no AA-2 folder inside Weapons folder, nor inside plane folder, even tho the missile is equippable and i can see it/use it in-game.
      Since there's no Atoll folder, i have no idea how is it possible for me to have it in-game, and even less i know on how am i supposed to edit it through Weapons Editor, since i can't select the folder.
      I thought it may be a sort of "built-in-game" missile and for this reason not showing in weapons folder (idk i just made an hypothesis).
      So i tried using the CAT Extractor, but seems like not working... no matter which CAT file i select, it says "error opening this .CAT file, no files can be extracted", how's that? How do i fix it? Am i doing something wrong?
      Thank you in advance for helping me fixing all these issues or helping me find what i'm doing wrong
    • By VonBeerhofen
      No more repetitive borders or center tiles and more different villages. With this randomization all village and city tiles can be used at will where ever in the game  in any possible rotational state, and it's a lot less mapping work. I already showed the idea some time ago but not with the Harvest City Set. There is still some work to be done to narrow some borders and create the right impression I'm after but I think it's slowly getting there.
      Here's a few screen shots, as an experiment a few village tiles were replaced with breaker field tiles and two different city/village layouts were tried, which means that the randomization for each layout is entirely different while the cities and village sizes and positions weren't changed. 

You heard it first on combatace.com
      VonBeerhofen
    • By VonBeerhofen
      Here's a compilation of the 12 latest tiles for the 'Harvest' set. I created a temporary map where all other tiles were removed from and randomly filled the EAW world with these 12 tiles only. 12 screen shots were taken of which 6 are displayed now. The remaining 6 will replace these pictures at a later date as I may not have captured all 12 tiles in these screenies and to safe on page loading times .

VonBeerhofen
    • By JamesWilson
      Hi,
      after seeing the TMF F-14 has wrong and inaccurate speed and fuel indicators, i found out the default Third Wire F-14 has working and accurate ones, but i dont wanna use it cause the TMF Tomcat is better and the cockpit too more realistic too, so can you switch the speed and fuel indicators on the TMF F-14 with the default Third Wire F-14? And for fuel too? Do you need to 3D model and/or do something else other than edit some text files?
       And is it or it's not possible to do?
      Down here are 2 pictures from the correct cockpit in the default Third Wire F-14:

And 2 from the TMF F-14 (the inaccurate one):

Thanks for helping.
    • By VonS

Apr. 17, 2023 Update - Please find, available at the link below, my previously released mods. for RoF United Ed. - this time as a convenient, consolidated package that has been updated with the latest tweaks. Do read the included "Read Me" files, where available, for more info., particularly the "READ_ME_ROF_General_Info" file that is located in the root folder of the package when unzipped. This package is provided "as is," with no active support beyond the included explanatory files. The "Consolidated Mods. New" Package contains the latest AI mod. (ver. 1.4) for RoF United, as well as mods. previously offered separately, such as the "M-S Type H Campaigning Tweak," the "PWCG modulations" files, etc.
      Apr. 29, 2023 Update - Included below the link to the "Consolidated Mods. New" package is Ver. 3 of the PWCG "modulations" files (to be installed manually in the PWCG ver. 16.3.1; see directions included in the larger, consolidated package). Ver. 3 of the "modulations" files increases wind and turbulence settings, as well as provides greater chance of encountering more capable AI when flying PWCG campaigns, especially if used in conjunction with my newer AI mods. for RoF (such as ver. 1.36 or 1.4, included in the big consolidated package).
      Important Note: if using the Ver. 3 PWCG "modulations" files, instead of the Ver. 2 ones included in the big consolidated package for RoF -- make sure to change settings, if you choose to change any, from within the modulations, i.e., the RofCampaignSpecific, files themselves -- otherwise, tampering with relevant settings from within the PWCG advanced menu options will automatically delete extra entries for the AI that I've included in the Ver. 3 modulations. This note does not apply to the Ver. 2 modulations since those don't contain any extra AI settings.
      Feb. 6, 2024 Update - RoF AI mods. vers. 1.36 and 1.4 have been upgraded to vers. 1.37 and 1.41, respectively. The new versions have tweaked the AI's ability to follow commands more quickly and/or properly. Ver. 1.41 also contains further tweaks to safe alts. for the AI, to minimize unnecessary crashes and very low-level dogfighting. The entire consolidated package has been renamed from "Consolidated Mods New" to "Consolidated Mods New V.2" (i.e., Version 2).

ROF_ConsolidatedModsNewV2_VonS.zip
      ForRoFpwcgModulationsVer3_VonS.zip
      Happy flying,
      Von S 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..