Sign in to follow this  
yubba

Stock F-4 Radar Edit

Well here it is Friday,, got plans ??   Just when you thought you were going to get away from the virtual cockpit,,wrong,this fix covers all stock aircraft and the edits also work on addon aircraft,, to fix the stock F-4s is to add a avionics ini,, what I did was I downloaded the f-4c wild weasle from nato fighters column5 and copied the avionics ini and pasted it in the f-4c folder and then changed the radar settings to give you this..

img00005

[TextureData]
RadarTexture=cockpit\f-4c_radar.bmp
RWRTexture=cockpit\f-4e_rwr.bmp

[AvionicsData]
AvailableModes=SEARCH,ACQUISITION,TRACK,BORESIGHT,GROUND_MAP
RangeUnit=NM
RangeSetting[1]=3
RangeSetting[2]=6
RangeSetting[3]=20
RangeSetting[4]=100
RadarPosition=

this will also get you into the ball park with level radar bombing,,, the center point at the 3mile radar setting is your aiming point at 3000ft at 450 knts use your radar altimeter and wing leveler for better results,,,will have more intel later ,, enjoy and happy hunting

and extracting the F-4C_Avionics.ini from the Object Cat wasn't an option???

and extracting the F-4C_Avionics.ini from the Object Cat wasn't an option???

well didn't know that existed till right now, and now I know it isn't friday,, gained a day Whaa Whooo, I did know that stock aircraft folders are basically empty and you were stuck with what you got,,10 miles is the lowest ground search setting,,, you can't do nothing with that,unless you are at 20,000ft at 450knts aim point 5miles ,I got toying around with the no mirrors mod and all that was,, was a cockpit config ini. going into a basically empty stock aircraft folder,, I did up a stock f-4j but I didn't get the radar screen that had a good aiming point till I tried the f-4c and whaaa laaa we got what's up above

Edited by yubba

you ask why,, 3mi and 6mi,,,settings, I explained the 3 mile setting,,, the 6 is so you have a 3 mile aim point at 10,000ft 450knts,,

a near miss,, but right in there at 10,000

img00002

ya know, even if it is Thursday, you MIGHT want to really spend some time the Knowledge Base ... it'll explain a lot about game mechanics, where to find inis, how to extract them, etc

also, I wouldn't use anything (ini wise) from Don's site ... I doubt anything has been updated since 2006, and maybe some (and few!) past 2008. The site basically exists only as an archive

ya know, even if it is Thursday, you MIGHT want to really spend some time the Knowledge Base ... it'll explain a lot about game mechanics, where to find inis, how to extract them, etc

also, I wouldn't use anything (ini wise) from Don's site ... I doubt anything has been updated since 2006, and maybe some (and few!) past 2008. The site basically exists only as an archive

I've read all the knowledge base front to back and most of all of the mod discussions here,,and used them if I'm stuck on something, but so far I've done about all I can do here there isn't much left to monkey with,, compared to IL-2 the fileing system here is a snap ,, the main thing I wanted was to get bombs on target,,and so far it is way better than it was,, hope you enjoy and happy hunting.

Edited by yubba

Ah, sorry to burst your bubble, but to the best of my knowledge, US F-4 Phantoms did not level bomb on their own, as they were not equipped to do so (with the exception of laser-guided bombs). 

Some B & C-models were equipped with the "Sky Spot" system, but that was nothing more than a very accurate transponder mounted on the bombing platform. It allowed a ground-based radar system to determine the position and altitude of an aircraft so-equipped, and provided the IP and release point ques for them. 

I have read of F-4s using it in South Vietnam against the VC (and against the NVA during the Tet offensive). While they claimed 10-meter accuracy, most modern sources dismiss that figure as wishful thinking.

Another thing; TK, the developer of this series, read the manuals on most of these aircraft, and set them up accordingly.  What that means is that perhaps 5% of the time we'll catch him taking a SWAG, but mostly, his avionics settings are spot-on.

More info on Sky Spot:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combat_Skyspot

Edited by Fubar512

Ah, sorry to burst your bubble, but to the best of my knowledge, US F-4 Phantoms did not level bomb on their own, as they were not equipped to do so (with the exception of laser-guided bombs). 

Some B & C-models were equipped with the "Sky Spot" system, but that was nothing more than a very accurate transponder mounted on the bombing platform. It allowed a ground-based radar system to determine the position and altitude of an aircraft so-equipped, and provided the IP and release point ques for them. 

I have read of F-4s using it in South Vietnam against the VC (and against the NVA during the Tet offensive). While they claimed 10-meter accuracy, most modern sources dismiss that figure as wishful thinking.

Another thing; TK, the developer of this series, read the manuals on most of these aircraft, and set them up accordingly.  What that means is that perhaps 5% of the time we'll catch him taking a SWAG, but mostly, his avionics settings are spot-on.

More info on Sky Spot:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combat_Skyspot

sorry to burst your bubble in this game,, the f-4 can be a level bomber,, along with the F-105g I dolled up,, I guess the a-6 wasn't a level bomber in this game would care to tell how you hit anything with that plane with stock radar and settings.

img00004

that looks high level to me,,,and what was that guy doing in the back seat ????
Well you do have a choice,, you don't like what I've done you done have to change a thing, for those that want a change and some fun go nuts,, these settings work in the B-1b and the b-52 and any other level bomber.
Edited by yubba

Not on it's own.  In real life, it had to receive ques from another aircraft, a skyspot controller, or possibly a chain of  LORAN stations (though AFAIK, only F-105s used LORAN during the Vietnam war).

And I seriously don't give a shit what you do in game.

Not on it's own.  In real life, it had to receive ques from another aircraft, a skyspot controller, or possibly a chain of  LORAN stations (though AFAIK, only F-105s used LORAN during the Vietnam war).

And I seriously don't give a shit what you do in game.

me either,,,just passing information along as I figure it out, isn't that what's modding all about,,, is that qued bombing modeled in game ,, well it's sorta my next thread will explain how it can be done since no has written about it that I know of resently, I got a few pms asking me how radar bombing is done,, so people are interested,, just trying to be a good neighbor.

Anything that helps people get more enjoyment  out of this sim is welcome by me. Thanks Yubba

Anything that helps people get more enjoyment  out of this sim is welcome by me. Thanks Yubba

Thank you ,you're to kind,, now about that parade,,LOL

Of course you're bombing with CCIP now  in the A-6, F-105 and F-4, right Yubba?

Of course you're bombing with CCIP now  in the A-6, F-105 and F-4, right Yubba?

well, to be honest,, for some un Godly reason I got an evolution thing going on,, early models I dive bomb and que bomb,, when later models come up with ground radar I radar bomb ,,, then when more modern avionics come up I ccip I got an F-4J dolled up with 15E avionics with hud that's my favorite,,.. but of course you seen the B-52s I got the ai to bomb my target and follow them in.

I think it's fair to use CCIP in the A-6 because it should have DIANE, but doesn't.  I think it's also fair to use CCIP when dive-bombing in the F-105 and F-4, and F-100, because it just sweetens your aim. I went 70.dll and have HUDs in all of them, because it's better than keep scrolling down into the cockpit to find the instrument that's not in frame.

I like your B-52 radar bombing technique. Brilliant work. It should be in the Knowledge base.