Olham

"Their finest Hours" - Brilliant 'Cliffs of Dover' video about the Battle of Britan

From the video intro:

"In the summer of 1940 a battle for the free world raged over the skies of England.

Over the years many PC flight simulators have tried to capture what it was like to be in the battle.
In 2008, the developers of the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series begin work on IL-2: Cliffs of Dover -

a brand new combat flight simulator.
Centered on the Battle of Britain it promises unparalleled realism and historical accuracy.

In 2011, commercial pressures win over the wishes of the developers and IL-2: Cliffs of Dover
is released in an unfinished state. The user community becomes splintered.

In 2012 a small group of talented software and aviation enthusiasts set about "modding" the code

to repair and address the issues. They call themselves "Team Fusion".

Today, thanks to their efforts, IL-2: Cliffs of Dover has moved closer to becoming the simulation

the original developers hoped it would be. Team Fusion continues it's work.

In this production, with very few exceptions, every aircraft was flown by a member of the Air Combat Group.

This is our film for the user community.

Past, Present and Future."

After flying over the 'Cliffs of Dover' myself today, my wingman pointed this brilliantly-made video out to me.

After watching it, I recommend it you all - what a well made sim & history film!

Edited by Olham
  • Like 1

You can always depend on Team Fusion for a good rousing dogfight movie. You get great film editing, and the pilot chatter over the mikes is always in character for 1940. If you go to YouTube for some CoD action, always add 'Team Fusion' in the search bar. Most of the other videos are  just long, boring, in-cockpit records of two or three guys flying a mission. Long wait times on the ground, long flight times to the target and back, frequently no enemy action, just players idly chit-chatting about non-consequential stuff.

Thank you for the tip, Hauksbee!

I'm sure it wasn't possible for about a billion reasons, but I remember way back before they first released CloD (to horrible reviews) that I asked Pol if it would be possible to jump (then) OFF to that sim engine.    Aside from having to rebuild every plane - including FM and DM information from scratch - I imagine they would have had to rebuild all of France as well, as I'm guessing CloD is focused mostly over England.    Surely a time consuming and nearly impossible task given OBDs staff size.

Still, I wish OBD had an infusion of major cash to hire the people necessary to redo WOFF in a new engine.    You can even see that slight amount of "wing wiggle" in the above trailer that adds to much to the feeling of flight.   WOFF is such a stellar sim, it deserves a top grade engine to perform on.   /sigh

And yes, I know CloD was just horrid before Team Fusion came along and put in countless hours.  They deserve all the credit for turning the sim into a work of art.  Kudos to Team Fusion.   I wonder if they would like to make a WWI sim?  LOL

I don't even know, if the CFS3 engine is so bad for their purposes, Hellshade.

Maybe this engine allows things which more modern ones wouldn't - like having

dozens of planes in the air; not spawned, but actually being there.

A more modern engine MIGHT (I know nothing) consume so much performance,

that it wouldn't be the best for WOFF? Just my thoughts...

...Still, I wish OBD had an infusion of major cash to hire the people necessary to redo WOFF in a new engine.    You can even see that slight amount of "wing wiggle" in the above trailer that adds to much to the feeling of flight.   WOFF is such a stellar sim, it deserves a top grade engine to perform on.   /sigh...

This, plus about a bajillion.  I would *love* (and pay a fairly hefty price, I might add) to see how the team at OBD - with their keen interest and unparalleled devotion to historical detail - would make out with access to modern 'tools', 'engine', etc for creating a totally new W/OFF.  There are so few limits to WOFF any more, but most of them are due directly to the 'engine' (even though that is probably a generalization and the most over-used term around here).  I've often wished it were so and, like Hellshade says, all one can do for now is /sigh

I don't even know, if the CFS3 engine is so bad for their purposes, Hellshade.

Maybe this engine allows things which more modern ones wouldn't - like having

dozens of planes in the air; not spawned, but actually being there.

A more modern engine MIGHT (I know nothing) consume so much performance,

that it wouldn't be the best for WOFF? Just my thoughts...

Hmm.  I'm no expert, but I would just imagine that more up-to date tools/engine would actually have incorporated the benefit of more modern technologies - which the older engine wouldn't support - and thereby improve perhaps even beyond what is currently the "State of WOFF Art".  I think a good example of this is the new shaders, which I believe rely on technology that wasn't necessarily a developed part of the original CFS3 - and allowed not only more impressive graphics, but actually off-load some of the work from the CPU to the GPU.  And this is not uncommon in the graphics card world...I have read about super-duty systems that required a lot of processing ability basically doing it with multiple graphics cards (bitcoin mining).

BTW, as much as CLoD looks great and I've always been interested...the moment they say "Steam", I say "I'm out".  Everyone's entitled to the own opinion, of course - and mine on this subject is that things like Steam, Origin, et al wouldn't exist if it weren't for marketing and DRM, two things which I have no interest in tying up my computer's resources doing.  There is plenty enough media in the world trying to cram every other agenda down our throats.  Again, my opinion - but one shared by many legitimate licensees of various software.

Oh I'm sure they know what's best for WOFF sir.    Being a comparatively simple engine to work with also has to have it's advantages as well as limitations.   It just would be nice to see WOFF support multiple cores and a more complex flight model that got rid of that "on rails" feelings completely.   That said, those guys have been chipping away at the limitations of W/OFF for some time and there are quite a bit fewer items on the wish list than a few years ago. 

You can even see that slight amount of "wing wiggle" in the above trailer that adds to much to the feeling of flight.

Kudos to Team Fusion.   I wonder if they would like to make a WWI sim?  LOL

One of the instances that impressed me about WOFF was watching a flight of Dr.1's from astern, and seeing their horizontal stabilizers fluttering from the turbulence and engine exhaust.

Team Fusion and WWI? Maybe for that massive infusion of cash you mentioned.

Here's another Team Fusion CoD that's new (to me at least.)

Good one! And here is a touching one...

Good one! And here is a touching one...

Yeah, I saw this one this afternoon. You keep rooting for the poor Hurricane, hoping that he can pull away from the  brutal cannon fire, but he's just hurt too bad, and running out of steam...

Kudos to TF.  Amazing stuff!    Makes me want to fly it, except I've got the WOFF Pup challenge, Sword Coast Legends will soon release as well as Fallout 4.  And I'm still playing Skyrim.    Seriously.   LOL

The TF mod is indeed incredible...looking forward to the release of the next instalment...should be great to fly a Wellington :)

clearly Historically accurate..apart from the date on Olham's post, being the summer of 1949! :)

Edited by UK_Widowmaker

The TF mod is indeed incredible...looking forward to the release of the next instalment...should be great to fly a Wellington :)

clearly Historically accurate..apart from the date on Olham's post, being the summer of 1949! :)

Ooops! On my latest, narrow keyboard, the keys are lying too close to each other,

and the 0 can easily become a 9, when I'm not watching it!

Corrected that; thx Widow!

After watching the entire film..I have no option, but to go and play it..as it's been a while :)

great post Olham

I posted a query over at Cliffs of Dover about whether they had a Gallery section. (I find their site very opaque and difficult to find what I'm looking for.) Here's the URL:

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16075

Olham: here's a screenie from CoD showing the whole canopy on the Me-109 breaking away/gone.

.Bezeslo789vbca1a.jpg

Edited by Hauksbee

Olham: here's a screenie from CoD showing the whole canopy on the Me-109 breaking away/gone.

Yep, I only learned that recently, that the WHOLE canopy - incl. the rear part - could be jettisoned.

That way the pilot could NOT get stuck with his parachute there - as I had often wrongly read about the Bf109.

Well!

Thanks for posting that Olham.

I always liked IL2 for WWII, but I never went beyond '1946'.  That video has me genuinely considering it now.

Another film maker to watch is "ATAG_Flare".

Edited by Hauksbee

Well worth it Wayfarer..but you really, REALLY need the TF Mod..it's unplayable in Vanilla