Tweaked Flight Models and Realism Pack for FE2

Hello Fellow Fliers of First Eagles 2,

Version 11.0 of the FM/Realism Package for FE2 contains approximately 220 WWI aircraft types and sub-types, for your (virtual) flying enjoyment. For detailed installation instructions, please check over the main "Read Me First" file that is included, as well as several older (pdf) files and that cover aircraft performance info., tips, etc., across all previous versions of the FM update package.

A great many thanks go out to Peter01 and Ojcar, also TexMurphy, for making most of those flight model files to begin with. Also a great thanks goes out to Stephen1918, MontyCZ and Laton for providing lots of beautiful planes and skins that go with those great flight models, to NBell for the many hitbox improvements provided for the planes, also to VonOben, Mike Dora and Crawford for many helpful suggestions, and to the A-Team by SkunkWorks for allowing me to tweak a few of the FMs for their models too. And of course a very big thanks goes out to Geezer for several fantastic, high-quality models that were produced for FE2.

What I've done is tinkered with the data files further. Modifications in all cases, to a greater or lesser extent, include data under the following sections:

(a) MissionData
(b) FlightControl
(c) AIData
(d) Sound
(e) AircraftData
(f) Engine
(g) Crew
(h) Internal Guns
(i) Control Surfaces
(j) Landing Gears
(k) Fuselage, Nose, Tail, Vertical Tail, LeftStab, RightStab, Rudder, Left/Right/Inner/Middle/Outer/Tip Wing components

Enjoy and happy flying!,

Von S :buba:

NOTES: For several of Geezer's latest aircraft and my FMs for those aircraft (Nieuports, Pfalzes, etc.), which are not included in this package, please see the relevant post located towards the bottom of page 25 of the "New Aircraft" thread for FE2, on CombatAce. Also see relevant posts on pages 26, 27, and 28 of that same thread for Geezer's "early beta" collection that contains the Breguet XIV, Junkers J.I, and other updates, including performance info. for some of those aircraft types.

DISCLAIMER: All Von S mods., for FE2, SF2, also WOFFue/pe/bh&h2, as well as for RoF (United Ed.), are subject to the CombatAce "freeware" terms of agreement. Mods. may be shared with others, included on other media devices, also modded further, providing that original documentation and/or credit is included, and providing that the mods. remain free to use. Von S mods. shall not be sold, resold, etc., and Von S takes no responsibility for injuries or fixations that may result from flying heavily tweaked FMs or from attempts to enjoy real flying without aid or instruction from a qualified flight instructor. :smile:

Hello FE2 Flyers,

The Pfalz and Fokker Eindeckers, also the Morane Bullet and Dr.1 have been tweaked further - newer modifications have been added to the download file. Please see the "Read Me" for more info.

Happy flying,

Von S

• Like 3

Oct. 24, 2015 Update: a few more Nieuport, Pfalz and Fokker types added, including several other modifications in the newest data files (read the instructions in the "Read Me").

Happy flying.

Edited by VonS
  • Like 2

Nov. 22, 2015 Update: several more plane types added, including Hansa-Brandenburg variants, BE2 types, the DH4 and DH9, Nieuport 24bis, also several SPAD types, including the SPAD 12 (read the info. in the "Read Me" for a more thorough overview).

Happy flying,

Von S

• Like 1

Warning!

This new version has a corrupted file "moraneN_DATA.INI " in some (4) subfolders that can't be used,  moved or deleted !!!!!

Hi Paulo,

The corruption in question was an extra space left in the file's name (at the end, after the INI) in the Morane Bullet for the Italian front, Middle Eastern front, and Western front (the 80HP version) in the "Ver2" folder. The issue has been solved in the latest zip file that was uploaded a few days ago (go into the relevant theatres in the "Ver2" folder of the latest upload and the problem should have been resolved). Do let me know if the problem still persists for the 80HP Morane N data files - brief info. on this fix is included in the latest ReadMe that's in the zipped file.

Happy flying.

P.S. Have now noticed that one or two of the 80HP Morane N's in the "Ver1.5" subfolders (in "DataFilesAdditions") also had an extra space in the name; the problem has now been corrected and a new zipped file uploaded.

Edited by VonS
  • Like 1

Hello gents,

A brief followup to the extra space that I noticed in some of the 80HP Morane N data files (and that has now been fixed in the latest upload): if for some reason you can't delete those few previous files with the extra space in the name, check out the program 7-Zip - it works well. Simply rename the old files in 7-Zip, and then delete them. The link to the program, if you don't have it, is:

http://www.7-zip.org

Happy flying,

Von S

• Like 1

Jan. 2, 2016 Update: Additions in "Ver4" include the experimental Pfalz E.5, the early Morane-Saulnier H, a couple of seaplanes (Sopwith Schneider and Rumpler 6B1), also the LVG C.II for the Western and Farman F30 for the Eastern fronts. As well included is the Roland D.2a in the relevant theatres. And several plane types have been revisited (the Caudron G.4 data ini file is now a modification of the latest G.4 upload from 2015 by Stephen1918; the Rumpler C.1 is now less twitchy; and the Russian Morane-Saulnier "I" is now even more historical).

Happy flying and Happy New Year,

Von S

• Like 1

Von S-

Thank you for your work on these flight models. They do feel "heavier" in most cases.

Is there are reason some do not include Peter's [AIData], [DogfightVeteran], [DogfightAce] which were specific to each aircraft he did?  Without these, the AI simply uses AIRCRAFTAIDATA.INI.  Perhaps you've modified this for your own use?  Just curious - I can add the missing data in myself, of course. 

Thanks,

Nick

• Like 1

Hi Nick,

Thanks for your interest in the tweaked FMs. I'm currently working on a few more models, and will revisit the Pfalz Eindeckers to modify some things about the landing gears and tailskids, so that they don't "stick" to the ground upon landing.

The data inis that are missing Peter01's "AIData" section are most likely several of the stock ones that came with the game itself; those I modified for correct top speed, rpms, sensitivity of aileron roll, rudder/elevator effectiveness, etc. - but didn't add any new sections to the files. Many of those same files lack entries for dogfight skill level since they were stock.

Also, I think that some of the older Eindecker models never received a Peter01/Ojcar update but are the ones originally done by TexMurphy, Laton, and others many years ago - those might also be some of the data inis that are missing dogfight skill level entries.

Since I'm already talking about the subject I'd like to mention subtle differences between the 80HP Morane Bullet and the 110HP Morane "I" modification for the Eastern theatre. The Morane "I" is a heavily tweaked modification of the Peter01 update for the Bullet. The Morane "N" tweaks on the other hand are based on the earlier Morane Bullet data ini done before the Peter01 additions. My reasoning for that is that it gives a "spectrum" of different performance types to have the earlier Bullet on one data ini file, and the Russian one on the other - tweaking the two allowed me to get them feeling close, but also different at the same time.

I'm now thinking of how to proceed with further tweaks to the Pfalz Eindeckers, whether or not to re-modify all four types (E.I, E.III, E.IV, E.V) according to Ojcar's additions to the FM files, or perhaps to keep the E.I, E.III, and E.V as close to my current modifications, and perhaps re-modify the E.IV only along the lines of Ojcar's additions - tweaking the files then in a similar way to what I did with the Morane Bullets - to get a "spectrum" of types - with the E.IV similar to, but better performing than the other types. I hope to have the updates ready in a month or so.

Happy flying.

Edited by VonS

Jan. 6, 2016 Update: "Ver5" includes successful modifications of my previously tweaked line of Pfalz Eindeckers (their tail skids no longer get "stuck"). Also included now are a Caudron G.4 for the Middle East theatre, as well as a Nieuport 17bis for the same theatre (some of these types were in possession of the Ottoman Air Service by late '17/early '18). Please read the included and thorough "Read Me" for more info.

Happy flying,

Von S

Getting some more of these loaded in, thank you!  Your tweaks are much more comprehensive than any I have attempted, but it's a learning experience!  Also, didn't know the Turks had some Nieuports at their disposal by the end of WW1, but it makes sense.  Very interesting!  

• Like 1

Feb. 16, 2016 Update: Several additions and tweaks for the Italian Theatre, especially the Oeffag Albatroses done by Jan Tuma. Please check over the included "Read Me" for more detailed info. about tweaks and plane types added.

Von S

• Like 2

Feb. 27, 2016 Update: Includes corrections to top speeds for the Fokker E.Ia and IIa, and for the Fokker D.7 and BMW-powered D.7. Also to be found in the latest version are early Fokker types such as the B.I and B.II, in the relevant theatres. Check over the relevant section of the included "Read Me" for more thorough info. about the latest additions.

Happy flying!,
Von S
  • Like 2

Mar. 10, 2016 Update: Includes corrections to the top speeds of the Fokker Dr.1 for the Western theatre and addition of one more Dr.1 power plant variant besides the Jacobs one, also a Nieuport 10 in the relevant theatres. The "enhanced" Dr.1s are now standalone installs, allowing more than one variant to show up in game at the same time, also in the game menu. Please check over the relevant section of the "Read Me" file for more detailed info. on the latest additions.

Von S

• Like 1

Apr. 14, 2016 Update: Includes several modifications, such as a new, separate folder for the Morane-Saulnier I in the Eastern theatre, shorter service dates for the Russian Morane-Saulnier N that has now been included there too, a separate folder for the Pfalz E.II in the relevant theatres, more realistic service ceilings for the early parasol and mid-wing types by Morane-Saulnier and Pfalz, addition of the Sopwith Tabloid and early Martinsyde for the Middle Eastern theatre, also the late-war 375HP DH.4 for the Western theatre and Lebed 12 for the Eastern theatre. As well included are hitbox improvements by NBell in the relevant data ini files and pilot skin changes for some of the earlier monoplane types. Please read the relevant section for "Ver7" of the included "Read Me" file for more detailed info. regarding tweaks and added aircraft.

Happy flying,

Von S

Edited by VonS
  • Like 1

May 6, 2016 Update: Includes several more hitbox improvements for relevant types, done by NBell. Also included are tweaks to the DH.2, corrections to the early Martinsyde, tweaks to the Halb. D.5, addition of a general "aircraftaidata" ini file for your objects folder to help with early monoplane types, and the addition of four new aircraft, the Martinsyde G.102, also three seaplanes for the Flanders map - the Sopwith Baby, Hanriot D.2 and Albatros W.4. Please read the relevant section of the included "Read Me" file (now in pdf form) for more detailed info. regarding the latest additions.

Von S

• Like 3

May 15, 2016 Update: Includes several hitbox updates by NBell for relevant types, improved pilot seating for the Morane types N and I, engine exhaust fume addition for the Fokker E.IIa, further FM tweaking of the Hanriot D.I and Halb. D.V types, also the introduction of the commonly used Nieuport 17 C.1 and individual aircraft folders (per nation) for the common C.1 type, for the Western theatre. As well added is a Siemens-Schuckert D.I “mod” of the Nieu. 17 for the Eastern theatre, and further tweaks to the 17bis type added in previous versionsPlease read the relevant section of the included "Read Me" file (now in pdf form) for more detailed info.

Happy flying,

Von S

Edited by VonS
  • Like 3

Hi vonS

Thank you very much for the tweaked FM's!  :salute:

The Fm's is an essential part of every flight sim.

I've downloaded your TweakedFlightModels.zip (v 7.5) and added the files to my FE2 mods folder.

A few questions and observations:
What are the .DS_Store files, I haven't found them in Peter01 FM's?
It would be much easier to install if you included aircraft folders in the zip-file IMHO, like in the FM's from Peter01.
I've previously installed the "Armchair Aces Redux" campaign and all aircraft and other stuff needed, but I have some discrepancies that I'm uncertain about.

I have: AlbatrosD2_Early and AlbatrosD2_Late.
You have AlbatrosD2.
Is the D2 FM suited for both early and late?

I have: FokkerEI
You have: FokkerEIa
I edited your FM so it could be used for the FokkerEI.

I have: FokkerEII
You have: FokkerEIIa
I edited your FM so it could be used for the FokkerEII.

I have: N27_RFC
You have: N27

I have: PfalzEIIIO
You have: PfalzEIII

Nicholas Bell suggested to edit CannonFireAngle and MaxCannonRange in AIRCRAFTAIDATA.INI or in the individual aircraft [AIDATA] section. But in your FM many settings has been removed from AIRCRAFTAIDATA.INI, for example CannonFireAngle and MaxCannonRange.
I also checked the FokkerEIa_DATA.INI also but there are not in there either.

In my latest campaign mission all three of my AI flight members fired 400 rounds each and none hit their target, so I would like to test Nicholas Bell's suggestions.

Your files look a bit strange when opened in Notepad in Windows XP:

Fokker_EIa_Data_ini.png

AIRCRAFTAIDATA_ini.png

I'm flying a campaign with the Fokker EI and your FM immediately feels different from the Peter01 FM I used earlier.
The Fokker EI has now a strong tendency to roll to the left side because of the propeller rotation/torque. Already at take off you must compensate with the ailerons so you don't tilt over. In flight it's harder to turn left because of this and it's also tricky to have the aircraft stable when firing the gun.
But the aircraft feels quicker and not as clumsy as with Peter01 FM where I stalled from time to time. I had big problems recovering from a stall earlier.
Please note that I'm a FE2 newbie and the Fokker EI is the only aircraft I've flown in FE2.

Is this kind of feedback of any use to you?

Cheers

vonOben

Edited by vonOben
  • Like 1

Hi vonOben, and thank you for the thorough feedback. It is of great use to me and much appreciated.

The DSstore files can be thrown into the trash. I tweak the settings on OS X (I fly FE2 in WineSkin) - so I am assuming that the DSstore files are generated by OS X - simply throw those away. I do find it odd that when you open the files in Notepad, some of the lines do not have clean breaks - perhaps a result of the fact that I edit the data inis in TextEdit on OS X - I will open some of the data inis in my VirtualBox install of Windows7 to see if the line breaks show up - at any rate it shouldn't hamper the behavior of the data inis.

I will seriously consider uploading the data inis into relevant aircraft folders sometime in the coming months, this may help with organization of the files.

The Alb. D2 data ini I use is for the late model with the radiator on the top wing, but I see no reason why it shouldn't work with the early model too - although the early model has slightly greater drag because of the "ear"-type radiators - I will get around to tweaking the early D.2 one of these days.

My Fok. E.Ia and IIa are for the early Eindeckers with Parabellum machine guns - since I don't use the regular E.I or E.II - those regular ones are fitted with Spandaus. For some reason I prefer the Parabellums because of the rapid rate of fire. Thos data inis are not designed for the regular E.I and E.II. Historically, you can find E.I and E.II types sometimes with a Parabellum, sometimes with a Spandau - I think the Spandau was standardized upon by the time of the E.III.

I think that I have two Nieu 27 data inis - one is for the Vickers armed one - the other, FAS, is for the one with a Vickers and Lewis. I don't have a data ini for the Nieu. 27 RFC (the RFC model was only Lewis-armed, on the top wing, but no Vickers). Only my Nieuport 10, 11, 16 have the Lewis, the 17 C.1 and later types have the Vickers, the FAS (French Air Service) one has both a Vickers and Lewis. The RFC Nieu. 24 I have for my Middle East theatre is also Vickers-only. Most of the Nieups. delivered to the RFC in Mesopotamia were still crated in the factory boxes and had the factory install of a Vickers-only. Lewis additions were usually field mods (I "pretended" that no field mods were done to the 24 in those cases).

The Pfalz E.IIIo is the two-seater variant. The data ini I have, for the Pfalz E.III, is for the one-seater variant. This is similar for the Morane parasol types too (if they have an "o" in the name, they are the two-seater variant, the ones without an "o" are single-seater variants).

CannonAngle, also CannonRange settings, are incorporated into the aircraftaidata file for the 7.9 updates of the FMs. I'm still tweaking those further (have now increased the canon angles as per Nick Bell's suggestions) and will improve the file more for an 8.0 update.

I'm very happy to read that my E.Ia is speedier and less clumsy than in its unmodified form. Top speed for it is about 130kph below about 700 feet in altitude. There is more "torque" on it now because of the uprated total engine output. It's very good that it is now hard to keep stable when aimed at a target. The E.I and E.II types were well known for nasty yaw effects that were difficult to control. This was somewhat remedied on the E.III type, that as you will see with the tweaks is more pleasant to fly. If I had to choose between the types, I would take up the E.IIa against early opponents since it's about as fast as the E.III with a 100 HP engine, has more yaw and maneuverability, is more difficult to handle but once you practice enough with it, it becomes the deadliest of the Fokk. Eindecker variants. Spins are now rarer for those early Eindeckers but not impossible - it is still very difficult to get out of inverted spins in those types - probably impossible.

Happy flying,

Von S

Edited by VonS
  • Like 3

Hi VonS

Thanks for the update!  :good:  

Have you changed anything that might influence the AI flight member behavior?

I've now flown two missions taking place in September 1915 flying the Fokker EI with your Tweaked Flight Models 7.9 and my AI flight members were useless in those missions.
They rarely attack when I order them to "attack air" and they rarely fire!
The first mission none of the 3 AI's fired a single bullet and the next mission the record was like this:
Fired/Hit: 0/0, 12/2, 6/0: So totally they fired 18 rounds and hit with 2 which is 11% hits and better than before but they fire very seldom.

Cheers

vonOben

Hi VonOben,

Most of the individual data inis for the planes contain dogfight skill level info. But for the early monoplane types that are often missing such sections, the general "aircraftaidata" ini file, that goes into the "Objects" folder of the user folder for FE2 - then takes over and influences some of the AI behavior. It's possible that the gun angles are too limited in that version of the aircraftaidata ini file, and therefore the monoplanes are not shooting at one another as frequently as desired. I've uploaded ver 5.0 of the aircraftaidata file below (that increases cannon fire angles as per Nick Bell's suggestions) - perhaps this one will help with more aggressive dogfights (edit: tried to upload the file here but can't find an attachment option now, so I will PM you the file instead).

It is odd however that when ordered to attack, your monoplanes rarely engage. Mine tend to engage right away but shooting frequency did leave something to be desired in the ver. 4.0 update of the general aircraftaidata file. I fly the missions on "normal" mode since this gives the best balance for the AI on your side and the opponents.

I look forward to more feedback so that the general aidata file can be improved further (it's really a "plug" to help with the early monoplanes only in the game but it doesn't hurt to have the file - and it's more efficient than tweaking dogfight settings individually per early plane type).

Happy flying,

Von S

Edited by VonS
  • Like 1