Fonck was very well known to be a an excellent shooter.

Even on the ground he could hit a coin with a gun, as often reported.

He used it in air combat by shooting either the engine or the crew.

Against 2 seaters, 1 small burst against the gunner, one small burst against the pilot.

• Like 1

Aug. 30, 2016 Update: A few new plane types added (Fokk. E.IV, the late Nieu. 16 with Vickers, an early "radiator ears" Alb. D.II, the BE12 and 12a types), the Halb. D.V further tuned, and other tweaks such as a modified general aircraft ai data ini file included. Please consult the relevant section of the included "Read Me" file for more detailed info. and installation instructions.

Happy flying,

Von S

• Like 2

Hi VonS

Thank you very much for the latest update! :good:
Your efforts are much appreciated! :kudos:

Here are a few more observations, please note that this is with Realism Pack v.8, since I didn't notice the update until now.

Albatros DII: Soon after take off the AI's goes into a steep climb to about 500m. This behaviour seem to be a common FE2 behavior though, and other aircraft behaves similar. I recall I've seen a tweak for this on the forum, but I can't find that thread again....

If I had climbed like that I would have stalled. Does the AI have different FM than the player?

Albatros DII: When in formation the AI is often flying slightly below my aircraft, so they are hard to keep in view.

In a few occations I have shot off the vertical stabilizer and the rudder on Nieuport 17, but they continue flying and manouvering as nothing has happened. :crazy:

S!

vonOben

• Like 1

Hi VonOben,

Thank you for the continued comments on the FM tweaks - it is always interesting to read the feedback.

The steep climbs that the AI sometimes engages in, upon takeoff, can be remedied through the following two entries under the AIdata section of the data ini files, if I remember correctly from previous posts on the FE2 forums:

PitchForAltitude=

TakeOffRotationAngle=

I would start first by tweaking the RotationAngle, without touching PitchForAltitude - to see if that improves the behavior.

The values on the early Alb. D.II for example, for PitchForAltitude and RotationAngle, are 0.00587 and 15.0

I recommend that you lower the RotationAngle to something between 5.0 and 10.0 - this may give an improvement (more gradual ascents rather than the extreme, vertical takeoffs that sometimes happen). The AI, theoretically, should be using the same FM as the player - but can sometimes exploit that FM more effectively, flying to the edge of its flight envelope before stalling, spinning, and so on.

In formation flying, the AI on several aircraft types are sometimes slightly below the leader - I have noticed this with some of the Eindeckers too - especially if I am fairly high up (around 2,500 meters altitude). I recommend that you reduce the MaxRollFormation entry to something around 3.0 (to reduce waltzing during formation flight...and this might help to stabilize the altitude at which the AI flies). The MaxRollFormation entry is located under AIdata in the data ini files (and overrides that entry in my general aircraft ai data file).

It's possible to keep flying if your rudder and vertical stabilizer are shot off - as long as your ailerons are still operating, and the elevator. I have managed to crash land aircraft with a lost rudder on a few occasions (such as the Fokk. E.IIa), and while difficult it is not impossible - I recommend that you control engine throttle if you lose a rudder, or the blip switch on rotaries (manipulation of the engine gives more control in those situations than if you forget to use the engine - try to think of the engine as your extra control surface in those cases...might not always work but it's worth a try).

I am assuming that since the Nieu. 17 is maneuverable, the AI is probably using engine power, ailerons, and elevator as best it can when the rudder is shot off - to try and continue flying. I have seen other aircraft that do not take advantage of this. For example, the Halb D.5 - when its rudder is damaged, or even half of its elevator - usually attempts a wide turn that ends up being a shallow, wide dive into the ground.

Happy flying,

Von S

Edited by VonS
  • Like 1

Hi VonS

I'll test the RotationAngle as you suggested!

My concern regarding the Nieuport 17 with shot off stabilizer and rudder, was that the AI could maneuver it just as good as it was undamaged. A shot off stabilizer and rudder ought to have some impact on the maneuverability, also for the AI IMHO. But that is perhaps nothing to do about it?

I have tested your updated files a bit now in my Armchair Aces campaign and the AI shoot much but they are very bad hitting, so I went back to my own AIRCRAFTAIDATA.INI and AIRCRAFTOBJECT.INI files where the AI also shoot much but hits a bit better.The AI seem to perform slightly better with later planes with double machine guns compared with the Eindeckers, and they are fairly aggressive. But it might also be the effect of my ongoing edits...

Here are some figures for comparison (all the missions were rather similar with fights with early Albatros D.II agains Nieuport 17):

TweakedFMandRealismPack8.5 unchanged:

1917-01-10: Fired / Hit / % / Kills
Weissenberger 800 / 20 /  2.5 / 1
Fahl                    60 /   0 /  0 /    0
Schenk             800 / 20 /  2.5 / 0

1917-01-13: Fired / Hit / % / Kills
Weissenberger 774 /  1 / 0,1 / 0
Hartmann         122 /  1 / 0,8 / 0
Hahn                644 / 22 / 3,4/ 1

Using my edited AIRCRAFTAIDATA.INI & AIRCRAFTOBJECT.INI (with VolumeStructurePoint=6000):

1917-01-16: Fired / Hit / % / Kills
Johnen     242 / 18 /  7,4 / 1
Harbort     550 / 98 /18    / 0
Kompch    712 / 39 /  5,5 / 2

1917-01-19: Fired / Hit / % / Kills
Heckman  800 / 89 / 11    / 2
Harbort     800 / 42 /   5.3 / 0
Kompch    274 / 68 /  25   / 0

Best regards

vonOben

Hi VonOben,

Thank you for the feedback. It is strange that the maneuverability would not be impacted at all on the Nieu. 17 once the stabilizer and rudder are removed. I will try to reduplicate this on my system to see what happens - possibly some missing info. in the data ini files is the cause of this...conversely, I have noted that there are a few data ini files (for some plane types) that include data for a "stabilizer" where there is no stabilizer, only a free-floating rudder, such as the comma-shaped one on Eindeckers. My theory is that, in such cases, a shot off rudder would not impact greatly on flight control considering that some phantom stabilizer info. is still present in the data inis. This perhaps impacts most of all on the Nieu. types...this will be interesting to look into.

Your aircraft ai data ini results look very good - I have been successful at increasing firing times, pilots now usually get all of their ammo. out, but I will see if smaller firing angles will help improve accuracy further. My general aircraft ai data file is, by the way, tested in early and mid-war settings - it's possible that the frequent firing is more effective with double machine gun setups in late 1917 and 1918 scenarios.

Happy flying,

Von S

Edited by VonS
  • Like 1

Maybe rudders are meant to be attached to stabilizers by the game (this is a "son of a jet sim" anyway). Maybe you can change the damage box to have the faux stabilizer more coincident with the rudder one. This way, when the rudder is lost, also is the stabilizer. You can also change the stabilizer DamageRating to DESTROYED.

Your work look very promising. Some day I'll try it.

Thank you Ojcar for the kind words regarding the FM tweaks. I will look further into the faux stabilizer and will test it with the damage rating set to destroyed. Will report back once I try out some variations with the Nieu. types.

Happy flying,

Von S

• Like 1

Hi VonS

I've switched to Albatros D.III (160) in my campaign before I had the chance to test your RotationAngle suggestion, but the D.III doesn't have this problem.
Comparing the values: The D.II has a has a much bigger PitchForAltitude value than the D.III and The RotationAngle is the same, so that's probably the cause.

Albatros D.II Early
PitchForAltitude=0.00587
TakeOffRotationAngle=15.0

Albatros D.III (160)
PitchForAltitude=0.00040
TakeOffRotationAngle= not in ALBATROSD3_DATA.INI

My edited AIRCRAFTAIDATA.INI:
TakeOffRotationAngle=15.0

Regarding the AIRCRAFTAIDATA.INI I have much lower values for CannonFireAngle, between 3.0 (Ace) and 4.0 (Novice).
I also have much lower MaxCannonRange: 200 for all, if they fire at 1000m they are only wasting their ammo IMHO.
Ive also increased MinCannonRange: 70 for all to prevent the AI's getting too close and crashing into each other.

Some other observations: the SPAD 7 C1 (150) catches fire easily and seems slightly faster than the Albatros D.III (160).

Best regards

vonOben

• Like 1

The spad7 (180 hp)'s commands look very heavy, I am not very experienced, but for instance, I find it even less maneuvrable than the Spad 13

Hi VonOben and Jeanba,

I've double-checked the data inis now and the PitchForAltitude command is the one to tweak for more gradual takeoffs - values such as indicated for the Alb. D.III should be good ones for a gradual ascent upon takeoff - something around 0.0005 to no more than about 0.001.

I will reduce the MaxCannonRange in my general aircraftaidata ini file and will retest. This will probably increase the number of good hits by the AI (thank you for sharing the data info. with me VonOben).

Glad to hear that the early SPAD 7 is burning well and catches fire frequently. This once again proves that the following two entries are working:

DamageTempDelta=60

OverheatDamageRate=0.7

(This translates to high post-damage rate for the early inline engines and increased risk of fire.)

All of the SPADs should be faster than the Albatros (both early and late varieties of Alby.). The 150HP SPAD 7 has a top speed of about 192 kph, as is historical for the type. The 180HP SPAD 7 has a top speed of about 205 kph. This again is in keeping with historical stats. The SPAD 13, depending on the power plant, ranges anywhere from about 205 kph to 218 kph for top speed. Only the SE5a and Italian Ansaldo are faster aircraft, top speeds in the 220s kph, and the higher-HP (late) variant of the Airco DH.4 (about 230 kph).

The Alby. types range in top speed from 168 kph (for the D.I) to about 186 kph (for the 180 HP variant of the D.Va). Austrian Alby. types are faster (different power plants), with late variants of their D.III ranging from 195 to about 203 kph in top speed. German variants of the Alb. D.III vary in top speed, depending on HP, from about 172 to 175 kph.

The SPAD 7 aileron input sensitivity, also rudder and elevator sensitivity, etc., are "approximations" of how it might behave - since they are only flown by the AI in game. I therefore had to go "backwards" from the SPAD 13 which is flyable in game - to get approximations of the total engine output, sensitivity, etc., for the SPAD 7 data inis. There is a SPAD 13 to 7 conversion file available on CombatAce but I did not tweak that since it merely disables one of the machine-guns on the 13, but still gives the larger surface area of the 13. From what I have been able to observe, the SPAD 7 variants do approach top speeds of about 190 to about 204 or 205 kph in game - for more accurate tweaks of the SPAD 7 I would have to be able to get into a "flyable" version of it. Perhaps some of our clever modders will be able to do something with this (I have experimented with getting a flyable SPAD 7 to work but had no success, by "cloning" a SPAD 7 folder and applying necessary files to the folder).

Currently I am testing the faux stabilizer situation on the Nieu. 17 and 24 types and hope to have some results soon.

Happy flying,
Von S

Hi VonOben,

After further testing, what works best is if the DamageRating setting is changed from HEAVY to DESTROYED under the [VertTail] section of the data ini files (thank you Ojcar) for the Nieu 17, 17bis, and 24bis types. A shot off rudder will then make the AI more sluggish - it can still fly but not maneuver as effectively, making it easier to shoot down. Have now tested this in one-on-one dogfights between Nieu. 24 types (RAF) and Nieu. 17bis types (German-flown) in the Palestinian theater, spring of '18.

The earlier Nieu. types and the 27 and 28 don't appear to suffer from this problem but do let me know if peculiarities are present - the same advice as above should then apply to solve the problem.

Do not remove the [VertTail] component of the data inis since, even though a faux stabilizer, this will ruin the FM model for the planes that have this in place - have tested with the [VertTail] section missing from the Nieu. 24bis file and there is awful left/right yaw then present, making the plane very difficult to control (presence of the faux stabilizer data, from what I could experiment with, seems to bring the FM closer to historical behavior for the 24 type). Its presence in the other Nieu. type files is probably integral to the FM behavior too - adding some minor directional stability to the types, further compensated through rudder input.

Happy flying,

Von S

• Like 1

Hi VonOben and others following this thread,

Here is some more info. regarding the "faux stabilizer" situation, after further study. Looking through other Nieu. data ini files, and those of Fokkers, etc., I have found that the [VertTail] component of the files may correspond directly with the rudder itself - in some cases its component name is Rudder. Then again, in other cases, it carries a generic component name of Tail, and sometimes it is actually called Vertical Stabilizer. There is a separate section in the data inis for [Rudder], where the control surface data may be manipulated - as I often do when tweaking the FMs - but it is my conclusion from further study that the [VertTail] entry is best left in place, as indicated in my previous post, with its DamageRating set from Heavy to Destroyed. Below is a list of the DamageRating for the Nieu. types in unmodified form, under the [VertTail] section:

Nieu. 10 - Heavy

Nieu. 11 - Heavy

Nieu. 16 - Destroyed

Nieu. 17c.1 - Heavy

Nieu. 17bis - Heavy (modifying this to Destroyed makes the AI behave more realistically post-hit)

Nieu. 23 - Heavy

Nieu. 24bis - Heavy (modification to Destroyed gives greater realism as for the 17bis type)

Nieu. 27 - Destroyed (two-gun variant, Vickers and Lewis)

Nieu. 27 FAS - Destroyed (French Air Service, Vickers only)

Nieu. 28 - Destroyed

Happy flying,

Von S

• Like 1

Hi VonS

Some more observations for you:

I saw a Spad VII started burning, and the fire was about half way between the pilot and the vertical stabilizer, what can burn there?
The Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter seems very fragile, a few hits and it starts burning (I'm using VolumeStructurePoint=6000).

Cheers

vonOben

• Like 2

Hi VonOben,

The Spad VII fire problem is probably the result of poor positioning of the ExhaustPosition coordinates. Those are located under the Engine section of the Data ini files. Have caught the same problem on the Fokk. Eindeckers and corrected that in the earlier FM update versions, but haven't flown the Spads enough to notice the problem. I have now retested flying Albatroses against Spads, and better coordinates are as follows:

ExhaustPosition=0.0,0.30,0.04

This works well for the 150 and 180 HP Spad 7 variants - it gives a good fire that begins near the front of the engine and engulfs the pilot seating area.

The 1 1/2 Strutter was gradually replaced by the Pup, then by the Tripe. I have read some reports that the Pup was somewhat fragile, with wings sometimes folding after heavy dives. The 1 1/2 Strutter was similarly fragile I would think historically, but fairly maneuverable, much like the Pup. The Strutter should be somewhere between the early Nieuports and later Nieuports strength-wise.

Happy flying,

Von S

• Like 1

Hi VonS

I've edited the Spad 7 as you suggested:
ExhaustPosition=0.0,0.30,0.04

A bit strange that the exhaust position controls where the fire show up IMHO, but I haven't seen fire in strange places after the edit.

Another question please:
I don't have the OberurselUR3 sound file, do you know where I can download it?

S!

vonOben

Hi VonOben,

Yes it's strange that the exhaust coordinates control the fire position too, but it is at least consistent across all of the data ini files, which simplifies moving the fire to appropriate areas on the aircraft.

For the Oberursel UR.III, I use the "alternative" UR.II sound that is included with the big engine sounds pack available here (have also pm-ed you the alternative sound):

http://combatace.com/files/file/13385-realistic-engine-sounds/

Happy flying,

Von S

Edited by VonS
  • Like 1

See results below of editing the Dr.I's aircraft fire effect location to the same values you show for the SPAD VII's exhaust position - result is perhaps a little macabre (after all, it is almost Hallowe'en), but otherwise quite satisfactory!

Dr.I Engine Afire (2)

Dr.I Engine Afire (1)

Dr.I Engine Afire (3)

• Like 1

Hi VonS

Thanks for the information, much appreciated.

I had the engine sounds downloaded already, so I have the OberurselUR3 in my install now!

Perhaps you could include this information in the readme file, or include the OberurselUR3 sound file in the pack in future upgrades?

I've had strange experience with the Spad VII lately in a few campaign missions:
Example: A Spad 7 C1 (180) was badly damaged and smoking. Despite of that it flew in level flight with a slight climb of about 0,5m /sec at 200 km/h.

Is it a similar "über" problem that was in RB3D, with some planes gaining performance when damaged?

S!

vonOben

• Like 1

Hi VonOben,

I am currently tinkering further with the general aircraftaidata ini file - trying to increase hit accuracy from the AI - I will upload the changes with an 8.6 version update of the FM/realism package and will also include a link to the engine sound files, as I did previously for the custom pilot skin installs (thank you for the good advice).

A Spad 7 (180HP) speeding away after damage could be the result of a variety of factors - less weight if some pieces fell off, or less drag perhaps, or the engine revving at maximum rpm if throttle control has been lost - and therefore accelerating away at near top speed, and with a slight climb (the top speed on that engined-up version of the Spad 7 should be somewhere around 205 kph historically - and I have attempted to imitate that in its data ini as best as possible given that it is an AI-only plane).

I've had a similar experience after damaging a Morane-Saulnier H in an early Palestinian campaign, with an Eindecker, to find that it would then climb away (although it only suffered from minor tail damage in that scenario).

From what I've been able to observe, there is no "über" problem in FE2 - although I will be on the lookout for such peculiarities. I think that such a problem in RB3D was finally solved with the "ReDux" FM modifications for multiplayer in that game - although I always preferred the Greybeard FM tweaks over all the other FM modifications for that classic game.

Happy flying,

Von S

Edited by VonS
  • Like 1

Hi VonS

Thanks for the information. All is ok then.

Regarding that the exhaust coordinates control the fire position:
That is ok for most planes, but it looks a bit strange with fire from the exhast pipes on the BE2...
Nothing to do about it I guess?

S!

vonOben

• Like 1

Hi Von Oben,

That is a good point regarding the fire from exhaust pipes on the Be2 types. It's possible that the Be12 types also have this same "problem." One solution would be to lower the fire position to where the engine is approximately - but this would create a new problem with normal exhaust fumes then coming from the engine area instead of the exhaust pipes. I will look into it once I tweak the general aircraft ai ini file some more. Perhaps the trade off is worth it - to have a fire in the appropriate position, since the exhaust fumes are barely noticeable anyway.

Happy flying,

Von S

Edited by VonS
  • Like 1

Hi VonS

Have you figured out a way to reduce the number of collisions between friendly and enemy AI's?

I've increased MinCannonRange to 70 for all AI levels, and I think that made some improvement but it still happens too often.

Sometimes the losses in a mission is 50% caused by collisions, especially when there are many planes in the air.

Cheers

vonOben

• Like 2

Hi Von Oben,

I've been modifying the general aircraft ai data ini file further and haven't noticed too many mid-air collisions, maybe one in an entire mission. Today I had two Sopwith Schneiders crash into me and my wingman in E.I Fokkers once we had already landed at our base - the Schneiders were aggressive and followed us home - we were out of ammo. at that point. Otherwise  such collisions happen rarely, although I'm largely still testing things in early and mid-war missions.

Below are included my latest modifications to the general aircraft ai data file (will upload this with a ver. 8.6 update of the FM/realism pack should it prove better than my previous mods. of this file). It works well for one on one or one on two custom missions, also for single missions - campaigns may require more modifications of the file.

Happy flying,

Von S

Data ini code follows for the general aircraft ai data file:

[AIData]

AileronDeltaRoll=1.0
AileronRollRate=-0.8
ElevatorDeltaPitch=1.2
ElevatorPitchRate=-0.04
ThrottleDeltaSpeed=0.06
ThrottleVelocity=-0.06
MaxPitchForAltitude=25.0
MinPitchForAltitude=-15.0