Sign in to follow this  
Viper63a

Got some free 3ds .max files...

Hey,

I read somewhere we can turn 3ds max files into something usable in SF2...I got some freeware downloads of some interesting crafts...so now what do/can I do with these?

=V=

• Like 1

load them into max, build a plane or object out of it, export it into LOD, write the ini files, paint the skins and release them  :big_boss:  :assassin:

• Like 2

I don't have max - can I download max somewhere or send the files to someone who has max?

• Like 1

I think theraw 3d model is the easiest part, the animations and optimazation in Max to get the model ready for SF2 is the hard part...then the flight model the skinning and all the ini work. I think getting the raw 3d model is just the very start.

Edited by whiteknight06604
  • Like 1

considering the price of MAX 2009.... then there's the learning curve....mapping and unwrapping the model to make the skin...the ini work, making sure all the shapes/meshes are correct; not open meshes to create shadow issues, bounding and hit boxes correct, damage modeling, distance lods. Then there the ini work; flight modeling, and on and on and on.

I can't wait to start learning it! (no, really!) I have Max 2009...and at this point all I can do is view the 2 dozen plus models I have...

• Like 2

Overall, the X-Wing model looks pretty good. It could use more details and smoothing in some places, and less detail in others. However, like whiteknight and Wrench said, it's only the beginning. There's no mapping, no skin, no animation and no .inis so you're looking at a lot of work to bring it into the game.

Plus, there's the absolute joy of working with someone else's model. :suicide:

Dels

LOL, just a wondering thought. You don't know what you don't know, right. I have no idea what it takes. Didn't think it would be easy or there would be alot more things in SF2...I would have loved to see an x-wing in the game. Plus, was looking for a better UFO model or a giant classic USS Enterprise...heh heh heh...Thanks for the responses.

Edited by viper63a

um, aren't the TOS Enterprise and D-7 available in FastCargo's "Super Secret Mod"????? I really can't remember the name of it...

I think so

I have started at the beginning to use someone elses work, but at the time, you realize its easier to build it from scratch than use someone elses work. I learned it the hard way with some planes. Currently all my projects are build from scratch and it works fine. Lets see how the Su-24 will end up. 

I have to jump in here. Tiring to start with an existing 3D file is almost like going backwards. And you have to share the credits for the finished product because that's what right. Granted if the original was started for SF then there not to hard sometimes, but if it's just something that someone made then they can be a nightmare. I prefer to start from scratch., then all the mistakes are mine alone.

um, aren't the TOS Enterprise and D-7 available in FastCargo's "Super Secret Mod"????? I really can't remember the name of it...

Only the Enterprise, Kevin.  I never released the D-7.  I should finish it.

I remember seeing a test video of the TOS Enterprise but I did not realize that it had been released. I am going to have to take a look for it in the downloads section again.