LegitPilot

Enough with these squadrons already

Firstly, I just want to point out that if this is posted in the wrong section, I apologize. Now...

This is just a waste of a good plane. I HATE how quite a few of the modders have to put squadron insignia DIRECTLY on the aircraft textures themselves. What if I don't want to fly for a squadron? I mean, at least make them decals instead of forcing someone to fly for a squad everytime they fly your aircraft. VFA-1 VFA-2 VFA-3. How about just a plain, generic navy or army or air force skin for once? I am not a modder, nor do I have the desire to become one, but this is simple stuff. Half the planes here people like me can't fly because of stupid simple reasons like this. Some aircraft modders here do make generic skins, but for the aircraft I am looking for specifically, they all seem to have squadron insignia painted directly on the aircraft textures themselves. What a waste of space. I am just fed up. I would gladly do it myself, but I do not have the first clue in how to accomplish this. I apologize for being so blunt, as I am just trying to get my word across. Hopefully my idea is considered from now on. Thanks for your time. - LP

So find a skin that uses decals and delete the .ini references to the decals and hey presto-you might just surprise yourself with your own modding prowess!

Are you referring to the Hornets?

• Like 2

Indeed, it would be good to know exactly which aircraft the complaint is pointed to.

• Like 3

Reasons can include that the 3D model does not allow a Decal to be placed in a certain location.......or for e.g. it malforms the decal.

• Like 3

Some decals and insignias are placed directly on skins for various reasons among which :

- Aesthetics : it's the best way to have panels lines and rivets show up on decorations on planes without normal maps.

- Geometry : some aircrafts have peculiar shapes or LOD bugs that make using some decorations in some positions as decals impossible or bug-ridden (malformed decal, parts of it appearing on another part of the plane).

- Decal number limit : there can be only one instance of a decal per orientation per part, and only 4 decals per orientation per part, sometimes that makes things very awkward to setup, or even impossible.

So, when you say this is "simple stuff" yet declare "I am not a modder, nor do I have the desire to become one", contradicting yourself later with "I would gladly do it myself, but I do not have the first clue in how to accomplish this.", please consider to educate yourself first, then decide whether you intend on actually DOING something, or still plan on opening your big mouth to either insult modders who actually have a clue or alternatively, insert your foot deep in it.

What you should apologize for is not potentially posting in the wrong section, but declaring that you know nothing about the specifics of the problem, have no intention to learn or do something about it because you know nothing about it (seriously, how dumb, lazy and entitled can you get ?), yet insult the efforts of those who actually know about it and probably had a very good reason to do things the way they did (even though there might have been other ways to do it); In short, you should apologize for being a wilfully ignorant, arrogant and entitled twat, I hope I'm not being too blunt, I'm just trying to get my point across, waste of flesh.

I'm sure you also have some useful suggestions on how to solve the Israelo-Palestinian conflict, put an end to the Islamic Wars and ease tensions with Russia, I'm sure it's very simple stuff, but since you know nothing about diplomacy, politics and international relations and don't intend to learn or do anything about, you're expecting others to fix it, unfortunately they're all a bunch of idiots aren't they ? After all, it's easy if even a half-wit like you thinks it easy, right ?

Edited by Gunrunner
  • Like 11

Firstly, I just want to point out that if this is posted in the wrong section, I apologize. Now...

This is just a waste of a good plane. I HATE how quite a few of the modders have to put squadron insignia DIRECTLY on the aircraft textures themselves. What if I don't want to fly for a squadron? I mean, at least make them decals instead of forcing someone to fly for a squad everytime they fly your aircraft. VFA-1 VFA-2 VFA-3. How about just a plain, generic navy or army or air force skin for once? I am not a modder, nor do I have the desire to become one, but this is simple stuff. Half the planes here people like me can't fly because of stupid simple reasons like this. Some aircraft modders here do make generic skins, but for the aircraft I am looking for specifically, they all seem to have squadron insignia painted directly on the aircraft textures themselves. What a waste of space. I am just fed up. I would gladly do it myself, but I do not have the first clue in how to accomplish this. I apologize for being so blunt, as I am just trying to get my word across. Hopefully my idea is considered from now on. Thanks for your time. - LP

First: I don't like your attitude and your general tone is inappropriate.

Second: You rant about the work someone has done for free and in his/her freetime. So if people wouldn't do that, you would have NOTHING at all. Since you aren't a modder and don't want to become one, I guess it's ok to say,that you don't have a clue, what the reasons for painting on things are. Feel free to try to create just one skin....don't panic, you will not become a modder for one skin, but that way, you will see, that there are good reasons for that decision (Gunrunner named some already). But if it's easy, as you say, feel free to change the skins the way you want...nobody will stand in your way.

Third: Be sure, your idea will not be "considered from now on"...at least by me.

Forth: I still don't like your attitude.

• Like 5

Whatever reason it is, i'm sure its a valid one. We can't have everything we want especially if were not doing the work. All these stuff are freeware. Modders do what they do at the expense of their own resources and time and their only compensation is a word of thanks.

You may try digging around the download section for the possibility of a different mod or you can politely inquire with the modder if there's a way to make changes that fits your wants, there's no guarantee but you can atleast make the effort. :)

• Like 2

Such professional responses to an otherwise bar fight of a statement by the OP.  I'm thinking this comes from just getting acquainted with things.  Well done! You all get an extra cookie today.

E

• Like 2

Handful of pennies from me....

I didnt like how that happens either. Download Gimp (its free), watch youtube and ask questions here. Go forth and make your own.

Complaint without solution that you are willing to participate in (more than consumption of end product) is whining. Its never aporeciated, and unless you're paying for something generally not tolerated

This is our hobby. Since we are not paid, we do what we want to in the manner and timeframe that we can/want to. Payments have been discussed in other threads, but big consensus is payment makes it work and tajes tge fun out of it fir the modders

If you can access the internet, and play SF2, that computer is capable of making skins and tgas (decals)

Again, I didnt like squadron on skin either. I went and learned. Probably irrated many old heads round here asking questions but I put in the effort to be able to do it myself. Now I do airliners with many airlines to one skin. I wont take requests, other than to show how I did it.

Finally, try modding. You may get to the point where you have to remind yourself on occasson that you can fly in this game as well.

Edit: no cookie fir me Erik. Still workin on morning coffee

Edited by daddyairplanes
  • Like 1

First: I don't like your attitude and your general tone is inappropriate.

Second: You rant about the work someone has done for free and in his/her freetime. So if people wouldn't do that, you would have NOTHING at all. Since you aren't a modder and don't want to become one, I guess it's ok to say,that you don't have a clue, what the reasons for painting on things are. Feel free to try to create just one skin....don't panic, you will not become a modder for one skin, but that way, you will see, that there are good reasons for that decision (Gunrunner named some already). But if it's easy, as you say, feel free to change the skins the way you want...nobody will stand in your way.

Third: Be sure, your idea will not be "considered from now on"...at least by me.

Forth: I still don't like your attitude.

Excuse me, but my attitude is fine. I am just making a suggestion on how to please more people. And secondly, I am not ranting, I am expressing my frustration.

Some decals and insignias are placed directly on skins for various reasons among which :

- Aesthetics : it's the best way to have panels lines and rivets show up on decorations on planes without normal maps.

- Geometry : some aircrafts have peculiar shapes or LOD bugs that make using some decorations in some positions as decals impossible or bug-ridden (malformed decal, parts of it appearing on another part of the plane).

- Decal number limit : there can be only one instance of a decal per orientation per part, and only 4 decals per orientation per part, sometimes that makes things very awkward to setup, or even impossible.

So, when you say this is "simple stuff" yet declare "I am not a modder, nor do I have the desire to become one", contradicting yourself later with "I would gladly do it myself, but I do not have the first clue in how to accomplish this.", please consider to educate yourself first, then decide whether you intend on actually DOING something, or still plan on opening your big mouth to either insult modders who actually have a clue or alternatively, insert your foot deep in it.

What you should apologize for is not potentially posting in the wrong section, but declaring that you know nothing about the specifics of the problem, have no intention to learn or do something about it because you know nothing about it (seriously, how dumb, lazy and entitled can you get ?), yet insult the efforts of those who actually know about it and probably had a very good reason to do things the way they did (even though there might have been other ways to do it); In short, you should apologize for being a wilfully ignorant, arrogant and entitled twat, I hope I'm not being too blunt, I'm just trying to get my point across, waste of flesh.

I'm sure you also have some useful suggestions on how to solve the Israelo-Palestinian conflict, put an end to the Islamic Wars and ease tensions with Russia, I'm sure it's very simple stuff, but since you know nothing about diplomacy, politics and international relations and don't intend to learn or do anything about, you're expecting others to fix it, unfortunately they're all a bunch of idiots aren't they ? After all, it's easy if even a half-wit like you thinks it easy, right ?

Oi vey, I can't believe I have to explain myself to everyone. Firstly, I am not insulting ANYONE. Period. I am just saying that I "hate the idea." I never pointed towards anyone in general. Secondly, you appear to be the individual who is insulting me. If you are just going to be hostile, then I won't even consider anything you have to say from now on. End of story.

Oh yes, of course, "all modders are idiots producing skins that are worthless to me" is not an insult, indeed... Smeg-head.

I wonder how long he will last before one of the curmudgeonly trio decides we don't really need your kind around here, I should start taking bets.

I'd say he doesn't even make it past 10 posts.

Oh yes, of course, "all modders are idiots producing skins that are worthless to me" is not an insult, indeed... Smeg-head.

I wonder how long he will last before one of the curmudgeonly trio decides we don't really need your kind around here, I should start taking bets.

I'd say he doesn't even make it past 10 posts.

Dude, that is not what I was even close to saying, nor was it implied. I find it hard to believe that you can't correctly read my statement. Make's me almost certain that you in fact are the one provoking me. Please refrain from contacting me further. Thank you.

Oy vey indeed, I knew we had a good one...

"This is just a waste of a good plane." implying the modder wasted his time, and probably, more importantly to you, yours as well, that's not insulting at all...

"this is simple stuff." implying that if modders are not doing it, it's either because they are idiots, or are deliberately going out of their way to thwart you, with no legitimate reason for doing things the way they do, not insulting at all indeed...

"Half the planes here people like me can't fly because of stupid simple reasons like this." once again, you reiterate that the work of modders is worthless to you and that the reason is stupid and simple, hence modders are either idiots or evil...

"What a waste of space." once again dismissing entirely the value of modders work.

Even now, with everyone understanding your rant the same way, your only thought is that WE must have read it wrong, rather than you might actually have gone overboard ?

Add to that your ridiculous attitude "I have a problem, I don't intend to learn anything about it or how to fix it myself, YOU do it", your antagonistic tone and the fact that you seriously avoided doing the ONLY constructive thing you could have done (telling us what plane you are interested in) and let me tell you, you come up as a downright piece of shit, and being Russian is no excuse for it*, you clearly demonstrated you have enough command of the English language not to be misunderstood to that extent.

Dave/Wrench/Fubar, I'm totally ready for my warning points, it's well worth it.

*For our Russian friends, I'm not suggesting that Russians are by nature assholes, only that, not being a native english-speaker and from a different cultural experience, he might not properly evaluate the tone of his posts.

Edited by Gunrunner

When type A personalities clash it's never pretty. I suggest we take a step back. We aren't getting into a trolling war here.

this has to be a fake post right? someone with a fake name having some fun? LegitPilot maybe your intent was not to be insulting and demanding but that is how your initial post came across. maybe a more contrite followup like "I was frustrated and didn't intend to sound insulting and demanding" would get you more help than doubling down on the everyone else is wrong attitude.

Yes, that's obviously a troll, it can't be otherwise, it's too tone-perfect.

Erik, I can never have fun for long around here, damn you.

• Like 1

To everyone else who handled this maturely, thank you for responding in a respectful and insightful way. Hostility does not get you anywhere. I apologize if I appeared hostile or appeared to insult anyone, as this was not my intention. But some of these responses here do show the example of how hostilities can get the best of us, all because of mis interpretation. -LP

• Like 1

Apology accepted now let's move on.

• Like 1

...So what about those cookies?